Sea of No Man's War - Second Chances

• Sea of Thieves, No Man's Sky and LOTR: Shadow of War are all seeing some big updates, with SOT adding skeleton ships, No Man's Sky getting a massive update called NEXT, and Shadow of War removing micro-transactions and streamlining the end-game. Now feelings on these three games may vary, i personally thought SOT and Shadow of War were fine if not a little boring in their game play loop, but ultimately these 3 games are obviously trying revitalize themselves or draw more players with updated mechanics. So a few questions occurred to me when i saw the various articles about these games and those are:

1. is this enough to make people take a second look at these games?
    2. is this a tacit apology for these games that were incomplete (SOT and NMS) or included shady business practices (SOW)?
    3. Do these games need to apologize?

For myself, having played all 3 games, i might check SOT out again and I'm currently on the fence about No Man's Sky. I always found Shadow of War fun and it was easy to ignore the Micro-transactions (But should i have to ignore them?) Also i don't think i need an apology for the micro-transactions in Shadow of War, that's them doing their fiduciary duty i don't like it, but there it is. But for SOT and NMS i think its a bit trickier, these are games that I thought were one thing but turned out to be another, that is, for me personally. I'm not gonna demand an apology from Burger King cause my burger doesn't look like it does in the commercials, that's just advertising and that's what happened with those 2 games. We were shown the shiny bits and then discovered that someone had salted our stream with pyrite, it was a bait and switch which is shady and makes me a little more wary of the industry but as a company trying to sell a game it's within their right to do whatever they can to sell their game. So i can't fault them, and i guess i don't need/deserve an apology but as for giving these games a second chance i honestly cannot say, it's peaked my interest at least and who knows maybe with these updates the games will feel more whole. What about the rest of the Allies, are these updates enough to respark interest for you or did you never have any interest at all?

Side-note: I got Sea of Thieves via Xbox Game Pass which kinda took the sting out of the whole experience for me seeing as how i got it "free." (Game Pass, BTW, has more than paid for itself for me personally at least.)

L and R, Allies

1. Sea of Thieves and Shadow of War were never really on my radar to begin with so any changes made won't really change my mind on still skipping out on them. No Man's Sky, on the other hand, was a game I was quite interested in, at least on a conceptual level, but I always had my doubts. Lo and behold, the game launch turned into a clusterf*ck with a supposed shallow experience marred with empty promises and developers invoking radio silence. It wasn't a pretty sight and I was just glad I didn't waste money on what was a hollow product. Fast forward two years and I've been slowly inching my way off the fence towards the purchase grounds. Multiplayer was never really a selling point for me, but the other promised content as well as what has already been added in previous updates does edge me closer and closer to finally diving in.

2. At the end of the day, people that feel they were robbed are going to remain that way regardless of what happens, unless the pubs/devs bring a truck load of apology bucks to their house, personally. It's nice to see developers try and fix in earnest some of these games' core problems when they could have just cut and run with the profits, though.

3. Not really. If you pre-order or buy a game day one and end up feeling burned, I'd say that's on you. We live in the information age where within a few days of launch, sometimes even pre-launch if the publisher allows early reviews, you can sift through hundreds of opinion pieces and information reports that let you know exactly what the final product is and isn't. It sounds callous, but let other consumers fall on the sword for you because sadly, there'll always be those that get suckered in to the launch hype of an unknown quantity.

That's my two cents, anyway.

• I don't think Sea of Thieves deserves to be lumped in with those games. Unlike them, Seas of Thieves had numerous Betas, with plenty of coverage on Twitch, Youtube, Twitter etc. The public had ample opportunity to see what that game is. If you bought that game, and feel like you were robbed, I have no sympathy for you, you knew what the game was at the time of purchase.

• @hazz3r It was exactly what the devs promised it to be at launch. Even from a marketing standpoint, they didn't allude to anything that wasn't there. The only real fault of theirs is underestimating demand at launch that led to longterm server issues and game instability, and even most of that can be blamed rather on Microsoft using Sea of Thieves in a way as the first major game to test their Gamepass, as it wouldn't have gotten slammed with nearly as much launch traffic without all the people who wouldn't buy it for $60 but played it through Gamepass.

• Strictly speaking of those three games, I'm definitely going to give NMS another shot when the patch drops this week. As for SoW and SoT, I have little to zero interest, regardless of what is added or taken away.

I'm honestly pretty okay with games being "fixed" after launch this gen. Diablo 3 went from perhaps one of my most hated games to my most played. Division is a massive improvement over what it was at launch. GT Sport has huge, free content patches every month that keep me coming back at least to take a peak, and I'm not even a big racing sim guy.

Of course this has lead to me waiting months to purchase games (unless I'm SUPER excited about them like BF or Dark Souls, or know they'll be of a certain amount of quality out of the gate like most Sony and Nintendo exclusives) but having a kid now, that actually works out pretty well for me.

I think holding a grudge against a game, even if the developers are going out of their way to fix or improve is, kinda silly.

• Yes, i imagine a lot of people who are previously excited about the game will check it out when everything's nice and less shady and all that.

I can see that for No Man's Sky and Sea of Thieves, but for Shadow of War i believe there's no apology there. It still feels shady to me, that game. NMS and SoT, IMO, were a result of a overambitious and misdirected development process, and i do feel that the devs for those games felt some sort of disappointment for their actions. I think the devs of SoW know what they're doing. (this is all purely-from-heart speculations though, that's just how i feel right now)

Yes, they do need to apologize IMO. A lot of people who believed and paid early or/and more were undoubtedly disappointed with the games, and while i do think parts of it is their fault (wait for reviews, keep yourself from being too hyped, etc), the devs still failed to deliver what they promised. They made a mistake, they should man up, say sorry, and fix it. In SoW's micro transaction case, i get that it's fiduciary duty and all that, but it doesn't forgive anything in my eyes. The consumers still got burned, and that wound isn't going to heal up on it's own just because the devs are companies who have to make money. People spend their hard-earned money on the games, at the very least respect them, acknowledge that the consumers got fucked and apologize.

• I have pretty much zero interest in all of these games, and for Sea of Thieves and Shadow of War, I don't necessarily think they need to apologize, the first was just a bad game with no content, and the second had pretty shitty monetizing mechanics, neither of those things are good but I don't believe they would require an apology either.

No Man Sky on the other hand, they lied, they lied and then they lied some more, I can appreciate they were under pressure but that doesn't excuse the false advertisement of their game, and to make thing worse radio silence after release, I applaud them if they've been able to turn things around but I'm glad the game failed as it did and I honestly don't particularly hope it does well. The concept itself was incredibly boring for me to begin with.

• I was seemingly one of the few people that enjoyed No Man's Sky when it released and although I never finished it, I always had a hankering to go back. Considering they've added significantly to it, I've just been waiting for a chance to hop back in. Knowing how I operate, I'm sure I'll play for a few days, have a few moments of pure wonder, and move on to something else. It was always supposed to be a chill space game and I'm doubting the updates will remove that essence, there will just be more to do now.