Nintendo Financial Results - as of 30 June 2018

• Hello!

I've combed through Nintendo's results for the latest financial period which were published today, as I like to do, so here's some observations!

Hardware sales
    Software sales
    Financial highlights
    Launch schedule

• Switch sales are now at 19.67 million units, which puts it very close to the GameCube (21.74 million). I believe this number is not sell-through though, so does not necessarily represent the exact userbase.
    • In terms of software sales, the Switch is at 86.93 million, already almost the lifetime number of the Wii U (102.28 million).
    • The best-seller is still Super Mario Odyssey with 11.17 million. It was at 9.07 million six months ago.
    • Second best is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with 10.35 million, now officially more than its Wii U sales (8.42 million).
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is third with 9.32 million. It was at 6.7 million six months ago.
    • The newcomers won't reach those heights but all sold pretty respectably: Kirby Star Allies (1.89 million), Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (1.4 million) and Mario Tennis Aces (1.38 million). None of those series' installments on Wii U had reached a million sales.
    • It's disappointing to note that Bayonetta 1 & 2 didn't reach a million sales, which doesn't bode well for the series. Let's see if the Bayonetta 3 can turn things around.
    • Sales of Nintendo Labo series overall reached 1.39 million units.
    • They also sold 1.26 million NES Classics since its re-release in June.
    • As for the 3DS, the hardware sales of Nintendo 3DS showed a 61.9% decrease and software sales showed a 49.6% decrease on a year-on-year basis. That sounds like serious loss of momentum, maybe the beginning of the end for the 3DS?
    • Their smart devices and IP related income showed a 0.4% increase on a year-on-year basis.
    • As a result of all this, there's no revision of their financial forecast, things seem to be going according to plan.
    • Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Pokemon, Yoshi and Daemon X Machina are all slated for 2019 as expected, but Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 are TBA. I hope this doesn't mean 2020 for those two, but hopefully is just a matter of them being saved for later announcements.

• It's probably near the end for the 3DS, yeah. I can't imagine another "big" game released on it after the Luigi's Mansion port, but it still has a super big install base though so i'm probably wrong on this. When the real Pokemon game releases on the Switch, that might be truly the end of the 3DS, the whole Pokemon fanbase gonna make the switch.

I wonder how Captain Toad did on 3DS and Switch. That'll be pretty interesting to see, comparing both sales figures.

• @bam541 Warioware Gold is the best swansong the 3DS could have. Has everything that makes the system special...

...except 3D

• As somebody who had a hard falloff in following gaming trends around 2013, I am just curious as to where all these new gamers are coming from? Consoles are selling amazing and so is software. I remember years ago reading about how Uncharted 3 (2011) was the best selling Uncharted game at the time and I believe the report I read said 5 million copies. I heard The Last of Us sold 7 million on PS3. Those are the heavy hitter games back then on PlayStation (my frame of reference because I played PS3 back then).

Now I see exclusive games with middle of the road reviews selling 1.89 million copies. That's insanity. I just don't know what happened and when, but people are buying more or more people are playing games or something. It wasn't like this 5-10 years ago.

• @dipset said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 30 June 2018:

I am just curious as to where all these new gamers are coming from?

Well, when a boy gamer and a girl gamer love eachother very much...

• "The Switch is clearly a going to fail. No one cares about handheld gaming. Everyone just plays Mobile phones now and being able to take your Switch on the go is nothing more than a gimmick. its obviously going to be the Wii U all over again"

People are funny.

• @Yoshi Who are you quoting?

• @el-shmiablo the general public.

• @yoshi I think you are conflating a handful of angry fanboys with the general public.

• @el-shmiablo there were ALOT of people who had doubts about the Nintendo Switch in months leading up to the systems launch, even after it launched i remember constantly hearing people claim the Switch had no games unless you loved Zelda.

yeah there was a dry period for about a month last year, but ever since ARMS came out, the company has been consistent with putting out alot of big hitters on a regular basis.

there was definitely alot of doubt surrounding the switch around launch time though and in the lead up til.

• @yoshi Like I said, you are conflating a vocal minority with joe public. If what you were implying was at all true, it would reflect in the Switch's sales being less than they are.

• I was something of a lapsed gamer during the GameCube and Wii years, so remember being quite shocked at how badly the GameCube sold. Then again, as a kid I also had no idea how poorly the Saturn performed, perhaps because I went through all the systems back then and would always see UK electronic stores such as Dixons have TVs showing off both Tekken and Virtua Fighter, etc.

I think Switch will sell well for the fiscal year, but I do have my doubts about 20 million. I'm more curious about what this goal could mean in terms of what they might have up their sleeve: the potential of their paid online service, whether they have any other games still to be announced, or could we get a special Pokemon edition Switch, etc.

• @gla said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 30 June 2018:

I was something of a lapsed gamer during the GameCube and Wii years, so remember being quite shocked at how badly the GameCube sold. Then again, as a kid I also had no idea how poorly the Saturn performed, perhaps because I went through all the systems back then and would always see UK electronic stores such as Dixons have TVs showing off both Tekken and Virtua Fighter, etc.

I think Switch will sell well for the fiscal year, but I do have my doubts about 20 million. I'm more curious about what this goal could mean in terms of what they might have up their sleeve: the potential of their paid online service, whether they have any other games still to be announced, or could we get a special Pokemon edition Switch, etc.

I'm almost certain there will be a special Switch with a Pokemon motif next year when Gen 9 (it is Gen 9 right?) comes around, at the very least there will be a console bundle

• Yeah, the next proper Poke would be the best bet for it. If Nintendo coast through to 20m with what we know they've got and no surprises, I'll be surprised. I'm just curious to see if they'll try to be a little aggressive or pull out some unexpected tricks. Pokemon has never been my thing, so I won't be biting unless a really good offer comes up (which won't be anywhere near launch).

• @dmcmaster said:

I'm almost certain there will be a special Switch with a Pokemon motif next year when Gen 9 (it is Gen 9 right?) comes around

@GLA said:

Yeah, the next proper Poke would be the best bet for it.

Not that it couldn't be different this time, but all my experience following Pokemon would tell me they do some kind of at the very least Switch case, but maybe a Pro Controller, Joycon set, or full custom Switch for Let's Go with Pikachu and possibly Eevee. Then when 2019 Pokemon rolls around they do another same type of deal except with the new games' legendary Pokemon on that one. That seems to be the kind of formula they've settled on for these things.