Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC/PS4/XBO)

• I played Rise 1 year after the PS4 release and i might buy this next summer.

• My brother got this for me for Christmas from a Black Friday sale. Been playing now some hours, I'm in the first actual village in Peru, did the first side quest there etc.

I think this plays pretty well, meaning there's solid technical knowhow behind everything from game mechanics to skills and collectables, but the game doesn't really have a soul, it's starting to feel. You know what I mean? Hard to pinpoint this, but Lara's going just feels kind of like a rollercoaster ride or like moving from checkpoint to checkpoint. The jungle environment hasn't really wowed me yet. "Rise" was much better in that regard as the Siberian winter and its secrets felt way more intriguing. So far that remains my favourite of the trio, but sure, this one's only getting started still. I hope there'll be cool temples and traps and high-risk traversal ahead of me.

• @sentinel-beach
    Like I said by the time everything is said and done this it's going to feel like a weird in between title or like a mediocre filler arc from an anime.
    Like yeah it has its moments but by the time the credits roll nothing really important has happened, and the characters are basically back to where they were at the end of Rise

• The game's been a disappointment, I'm sad to say. I'm not invested in the story at all, and it sounds like Lara isn't either. Luddington delivers her lines in such an uninterested fashion this time, what's happened? I guess it's just the combination of that and the dull lines which makes this a bore way too often.

After a looooong while in Paititi the scenery is finally changing, at least, and I was actually entertained with some enemy encounters. And the refinery part, lol:

"You're fucking dead!", shouted the Terminator Lara while mowing down enemy units and even a helicopter. Couldn't help laughing. :] I stopped in San Juan, which seems like a nice new area.

• Like I said this is basically the Filler arc of a Tomb Raider game, makes me wonder if the Next Tomb Raider (hopefully after CD's Gurdians of the Galaxy game) will actually be a proper ending to this Reboot trilogy.

Btw while I'm here am I the only one who thinks the inclusion of a group like Trinity was just a dum thing to add in Rise, like it comes out of nowhere in Rise, and I swear it creates a plot hole with TR 2013.

Also looking back I think I've figured out Shadows biggest issue, theres no environmental refresher. Like TR13 had you go from jungle, to snow base, to coastline, to mountain tops. Rise went from Snow to industrial, to forest to ancient temples.
    Shadow doesn't really have a major environmental shift.

• Finished the game. A few ups here and there, but all in all this was a boring and mediocre adventure with pretty solid game mechanics. I still can't believe how uninterested Lara sounded the whole way through this.

About this being "a filler arc" in the trilogy, I don't know:

I mean Dominguez died, he was the head of Trinity, right? And they've been the bad guys these three games. It felt like the developers meant this to really be it for the trilogy. Even the credits had mentions like that, thanking for the long journey through this all etc. This was an underwhelming ending, but an ending nevertheless, I felt was their purpose here. I'd say we'll have a pretty substantial pause now for Tomb Raider games.

About the final mission:

The Ix Chel mask was actually pretty hot on Lara. The "Queen of the Damned" trophy popped at a great moment, I thought that was a cool twist. And the final boss fight became a lot easier when I realized that you could damage Dominguez actually by just shooting him a lot and not only with jar explosions. Would've otherwise been like Uncharted 2 a bit.

Seems like I'm at 87 % now. I have like two tombs and maybe two crypts still out there as well, and of course a bunch of collectables. The actual playing of the game is pretty easy-going so I'm tempted to 100 % it.

• @sentinel-beach There was zero Trinity involvement in the first game in the trilogy.
    I actually found it quite jarring the first time I played Rise. It went zero to Trinity real fast.

• @el-shmiablo Trinity was in the first game

• There was this Solarii Brotherhood, it seems, in the 2013 game. Could've fooled my memories that they were Trinity.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(2013_video_game)#Plot

• Played this over the weekend and didn't love it. It's not a bad game by any means, it's just pretty bland.

It leaves me not wanting any more from this franchise, which surprises me because I really loved Rise of the Tomb Raider.