Life is Strange 2 (PS4/XBO/PC)

• Dontnod Entertainment is finally getting ready to reveal details of Life is Strange 2. The first of the five episodes will release on September 27th on PS4, Xbox One and PC.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Strange_2

The brand new teaser video states that "all will be revealed August 20th", in two and a half weeks.

Youtube Video

And hey! Be sure to remember and play The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit which is free, as its decisions will carry over into Life is Strange 2.

• This is a hard one for me. I adored LiS and its prequel, but the disconnected sequel they want to create makes me want to judge it completely from scratch

• Perhaps my most anticipated game of the fall. Yes, I am also concerned about the potential disconnectedness of it but at the same time, I don't think they should/need to revisit Max and Chloe as that story has been told with the original and the suprisingly effective sequel (which I had major concerns about from pre-release trailers but turned into one of my favorite games in the genre.)
    Captain Spirit is installed on my PC but I haven't found the right time to sit down and play it (ie. kids are asleep, house is quiet and a good beverage at my side.) I'm definitely looking to make time for it soon though.

• Global Moderator

I.. am so bloody hyped... for this game. I need this, like yesterday.

• I'm planning to play LiS 1 and Before the Storm first. If i like those, i'll probably pick this up when all the episodes are released.

• Need to play Before the Storm myself, like I've had it in my PS4 this whole time but it just came out at a very very bad time for me (woo 3 jobs)

• Man I need to catch up with this series, loved the first part but haven't checked out anything that came after that.

• I had a very strange route through the series. I played LiS chapters 1-4 with my wife when it first came out three years ago but then right before we could play episode 5, our first daughter was born. A year after that, our second daughter was born. Then we moved overseas (military) and just never got back to it. While I was deployed, i had a shoddy internet connection but since I had promised my wife we would finish LiS together some day, I downloaded LiS:BTS and played that at night in a tent in the middle of a freezing cold field. I absolutely loved it, in part because I'm sure my emotions were raw being away from my family but also because LiS just has a history with us. So when I got back from deployment, my wife and I finally finished chapter 5 of the original game. And that was one week ago and here we are on the threshold of LiS2. All I can say is this series means a lot to me at this point.

• In little over three hours a bunch of new information will be revealed of LIS2. Will we see older Chris now?

• Life is Strange 2 Official Reveal Trailer [ESRB]
    Youtube Video

The game focuses on brotherhood as well as guiding your younger brother. Sean, 16, and Daniel, 9, are on the run from the police after a tragic event, heading from Seattle to Mexico.
    http://lifeisstrange-blog.tumblr.com/

• Global Moderator

I think some of the data mining then that was done in the captain awesome demo was true then. I really feel the hype.
    This feels like it can become really really good. I love the other games so much, so will go in with high expectations.

• Trailer isn't exactly gripping but I have complete faith in the team.

• It's pretty clear for me that my passion for the original was much more in the characters, setting and premise. I might get it one day, but I don't feel anything from the trailer outside maybe the music.

• I had almost forgotten about this a bit, which shouldn't happen. Man, the next few months are full of games. The first episode of LiS2 arrives in one week.

Youtube Video

• I'm almost certain the game will be incredible and moving and make me feel many feels, DAYUM thats some bad voice acting.

• Doing a one-sitting of Episode 1 next Friday with my roommate. Not watching any videos because I know I'm going to play it and I doubt it'll be very long. I wish more games were like this. I love the trend of vignette/chapter/scene based games (LiS, Yakuza, Until Dawn, etc).

• So did anyone jump in right away, how was it? OpenCritic offers a solid 8 for the first episode: https://opencritic.com/game/6649/life-is-strange-2-episode-1-roads

I found myself becoming hesitant at the last possible moment, which is weird even in my opinion. I guess it's the 40 € price tag that surprised me. But sure, there's the possibility to buy these separately, eight euros a piece.

• @sentinel-beach I also was stopped by the price tag (three times more that Walking Dead: The Final Season). Also I liked Life is Strange and Before the Storm, but I was very disappointed with Captain Spirit, and I'm worried that Life is Strange 2 will be more like Captain Spirit, rather than like the earlier ones.

• UPDATE: I can't do the one sitting but I still bought it and played a little.

I am considering making a video review for the sake of it because I love the Life Is Strange series and they are generally short.

Some initial thoughts -

• $49.99 CAD is steep. So is $11.99 for Ep 201. The game is of quality, but they are shorter and you wouldn't want to replay it until you finish the whole season.

• I was immediately gripped from the intro scene walking home with your friend. Brought me back to better days of childhood and my inner kid.

• World building is still top notch. I got slightly emotional when reading texts from my best friend after the incident in the opening scene that sets the story up.

• Started to lose me when you hit the road. I know they are telling a different story, but I like the teenage melodrama more than anything in LiS and that isn't the focus here, but it sets the game up like it will be another game about teenage antics. Maybe pulling the rug out is intentional.

MILD SPOILER

I like the premise but its a bit hard to believe. Also don't understand motives of certain characters. There is a rich hippy travelling journalist type guy who helps you and I don't understand why he has no qualms with helping a fleeing suspect. His dialogue is confusing too, like he's giving a locker room speech in a bad sports film.

I'm lukewarm as of now, but it has a lot of potential to suck you in.

• I can't even believe I waited this long but I still haven't played Captain Spirit and I need to do that before I start LiS2. I already bought the season pass (I think it was initially $39 on steam when it was first listed so I'm not as upset about the price) and have installed episode 1 but I need to find the right time to play both episodes. I am blessed with boisterous three and two year old daughters and as much as I adore them, I need them to be sound asleep and have a few hours to spare before I can put on some good headphones and get lost in a LiS game. I've said this here before but I adored LiS and LiS: BTS. I am nervous that this one wont live up but I wouldnt miss it for the world.