EZA curates August games: What are you anticipating? What's worth checking out?

• A thread for sharing new games coming out in August... what are you personal picks/interests of the month?

Did you discover some small game that not everyone knows about?
    Share that and let us know what it is about!

Already know a thing or two that interests you?
    Make a list (or a swanky desire index) of your interests and/or possibles!

Don't know what's so great about an upcoming game you keep hearing about?
    Ask here!

Don't follow gaming news that closely and just want to passively see what BigGames™ people care about?
    This is the place!

~

Going into more detail:

The basic idea is to list new games that you are interested in, as well as games you are potentially curious about or want to give wider attention to. You can briefly describe them or ask other people to help fill you in. The hope is that regular threads like these can act as a collective filter/discovery mechanism to help people decide what is worth checking out.

"New games" means any new title that is being released or ported this month in any capacity (not "backlogs/what you are playing this month"). The angle here is sharing your anticipation and promoting game discovery (as opposed to sharing comments about a first playthrough in progress - that belongs elsewhere).

• If you want a handy list that covers most of the major upcoming games of the month, here's one text list. Feel free to post other lists or list videos that you find useful.
    • Final request: If you are the first person to mention a game please provide (at minimum) a short sentence description. (If it is a very big AAA release though, then don't worry about it.) This is a good convention that makes the thread more useful as a discovery mechanism, and especially helps out anyone who doesn't follow the news as closely as you.

• Shenmue I & II HD Remaster is coming August 21. As someone who never played those games, what i have seen of the gameplay entranced me. It just looks so... relaxing, in a way. I would gladly walk around aimlessly when i play these games.

There's a version of The Sims 2 on the PSP that i loved as a kid, it plays like Shenmue in the sense that you have to talk to people and explore the environment to progress. It has a outlandish and silly paranormal story. It also has QTE-ish mechanic in the socializing-to-people system (it's quite a different game compared to the PC version). That's probably why i'm interested in Shenmue.

Also, Huber's hype is a big factor in my interest.

• Global Moderator

I think this month will mainly be, like the last, to clear out my backlog before September where new games are dropping.

• Donut County on August 28th! I even made a thread for the game:
    https://forums.easyallies.com/topic/5081/donut-county-ps4-pc

• Overcooked 2 launching 7th August, the first game is a phenomenal co-op game that's all about communication and juggling tasks. The difficulty and scoring system was just right so that I 100% the game getting three stars on every stage in co-op. New dishes, new levels, new chefs are all this sequel really needs because the base game was so polished, however there are also new gameplay elements as well as an online multiplayer mode.

• August is the month of Yakuza Kiwami 2! Yakuza 0 made me absolutely fall in love with the Yakuza games, and though I had many problems with Kiwami one, I still adored it. I've been wanting to get back to this series for a while, so August 28 (the day Kiwami 2 comes out) can't come soon enough.

If you ever have the urge to play a game in which you sing Karaoke immediately after smashing a dude's face in with a bicycle, then Yakuza is for you.

• <---- Oh you know what I'm most looking forward to! A clash of dragons, baby! Kiwami 2 gonna be the main dish of the month.

I'm also interested in seeing how Death's Gambit turns out to see if I'll be purchasing that as well.

• Youtube Video

This looks very interesting to me, out August 15th. Short description:

"State of Mind takes a sharp look at the immense technological promise the world we live in by jumping us forward to Berlin in 2048. Unravel a global conspiracy in a society of ubiquitous digitalism, surveillance and transhumanism and explore a world with a rich and unique visual style, combining realistic environments with low-poly characters. They take on the role of journalist Richard Nolan, as well as five additional playable characters and have to use dexterity, deductional skill and research to reconstruct Richard‘s past."

Here 15 minutes of gameplay:

Youtube Video

• @exist-2-inspire I'm turned off by the low-poly characters, but other than that it looks pretty cool.

• The Messenger is releasing August 30th. I've had an eye on this one for a while, but didn't realize it was coming out so soon until today! The EZA review is live.

It's a Metroidvania game that starts out looking and playing like an 8 bit linear, Ninja Gaiden-style game. The game's main gimmick is that you very quickly unlock the ability to flip between two worlds, the 8 bit one and a 16 bit one, and I gather this ability coincides with the game morphing into a full-on Metroidvania.

Now, this is just me speaking, but I think it deserves some comparisons to Shovel Knight. Yes, yes: the action genres of those two games are different and Shovel Knight is hugely successfully whereas The Messenger has less buzz going for it. But the reason I've kept my eye on The Messsenger is because it reminded me of that same sense of a "retro-style game infused with modern ideas" that I got from Shovel Knight.