A Witcher 3 review that I agree with

• Banned

Really? About 3 minutes in he literally starts crying about everything.

• alt text

• Global Moderator

Might be better explaining why you agree with the review.

• @tokeeffe9 Because everything that makes this game is boring. Story, world, characters, ect could all have been done in other mediums, but the gameplay is very rinse and repeat. And what you repeat isn't all that fun even in the early part of the game.

The most enjoyable aspect of The Witcher 3, for me personally, was riding the horse through the woods while it was gale force winds.

• I agree with that review too.

TW3 combat is joke and is enough reason that game is incredibly overrated. oh and story is also extremely boring with shallow/boring characters like ciri and yen.

ciri parts are overpowered hack n slash.

• The reason why I didn't finish the Witcher 3 is that, in the first hour of playing it, I didn't get attached to the protagonist (or any character at all) or the world itself. Admittedly, this was my first Witcher game and it might have been different if I playrd any of the prequels, but I simply couldn't play the game that it couldn't make me care for characters, world or story in an entire hour. No other RPG had left me with such lack of interest.
    My point is that, while The Witcher 3 might bring many good features, I think it's definetely overrated, even if for different reasons.

• @Nillend said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

The reason why I didn't finish the Witcher 3 is that, in the first hour of playing it, I didn't get attached to the protagonist (or any character at all) or the world itself. Admittedly, this was my first Witcher game and it might have been different if I playrd any of the prequels, but I simply couldn't play the game that it couldn't make me care for characters, world or story in an entire hour. No other RPG had left me with such lack of interest.
    My point is that, while The Witcher 3 might bring many good features, I think it's definetely overrated, even if for different reasons.

witcher 2 imo is much better game than witcher 3 and less boring too. however i agree that main character geralt of rivia is dull and too robotic.

• While I will agree that Witcher 3's combat is pretty naff, you are on some laffy taffy if you think the story, world, and characters aren't at the top of their genre.

• This is definitely a viewpoint I agree with.

There's tons of games that do this Lock Target -> Dodge/Counter -> Attack -> Repeat combat formula and it bores me to death.

With the story, my largest problem is the Witcher Mind Trick they seem to be able to do freely and have very few limitations. Geralt as a character doesn't seem to have any moral qualms about using it, and so 99% of the quests I could've just mind tricked it away.

• I found the Witcher 3 to be a really slow burn before I warmed up to it. I had a lot of the same criticisms with my first try (about 12 hours worth!). Almost every review at the time was giving it such high praise and I couldn't understand what the big fuss was about.

A year later and with the various patches, I gave it a second shot and things finally started to click. Some very useful quality-of-life mods like improved movement and auto-looting took away a LOT of the tedium I experienced my first time through. I ended up liking the game quite a lot and grew attached to the cast over the course of the game.

TL;DR: I think what the reviewer is saying is totally fair since I felt the same way at first, but I'm pretty happy I gave the game a second shot.

• @Stormcrownn You just described the Souls game combat. Better duck under that incoming hate train! lol

And about Geralt's Mind Trick...

doesn't always work. It will actually give negative outcomes in many cases in the story. You would know that if you actually played through the game in full.

• Banned

@Whoaness said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@Stormcrownn You just described the Souls game combat. Better duck under that incoming hate train! lol

And about Geralt's Mind Trick...

doesn't always work. It will actually give negative outcomes in many cases in the story. You would know that if you actually played through the game in full.

alt text

• @Whoaness You are correct, and you made me realize I take more issue with how its presented in the context of the world. It's not explained enough in the beginning, as with the rest of the signs.

Sanderson's Laws of Magic are a set of three laws that I believe are very relevant in storytelling. The one that applies the most here is;

"An author's ability to solve conflict with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic."

It all depends on how much each "reader" thinks about the magic system. Some people let their imaginations run wild, and even subconsciously assume what it can do. Other's don't read that much into it.

• Youtube Video

Maybe you guys shouldn't have played it on scrub difficulty. ;D

• I love Witcher 3's combat and almost everything else about the game. It's snuck into my personal 'Top 10' games ever and certainly has the best story/characters in any game I've played.

People who don't like the game seem to be really, really insecure about this fact and unable to accept that their opinion (which is fine and I respect anybody to dislike it) is not some kind of objective God-given Truth. Especially SoulsBourne fans for some reason (even though they are very different games).

I mean, there are plenty of games that I don't like which are popular and yet for some reason I don't feel the need to go bitching about them all over the internet.

• @luckywallace said

People who don't like the game seem to be really, really insecure about this fact and unable to accept that their opinion (which is fine and I respect anybody to dislike it) is not some kind of objective God-given Truth. Especially SoulsBourne fans for some reason (even though they are very different games).

Well I hate Witcher 3, Souls, & Xenoblade AND recognize the subjectivity of taste!

I mean, there are plenty of games that I don't like which are popular and yet for some reason I don't feel the need to go bitching about them all over the internet.

Different strokes, different folks. You might be able to shrug off a 70 hour RPG playthrough without saying a word, but that is not my way. I love to vent about things I hated in games, like how Shulk and Geralt are dull as dishwasher.

I especially love to mock how continually pathetic games like these are at characterizing women. I mean come on: how many times have we seen the stern father / 'rebellious' daughter dynamic? Last of Us (which subverted it), Game of Thrones, Witcher—all the way back in The Little Mermaid, even. Let's try something else.

• @Haru17 said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

I especially love to mock how continually pathetic games like these are at characterizing women. I mean come on: how many times have we seen the stern father / 'rebellious' daughter dynamic? Last of Us (which subverted it), Game of Thrones, Witcher—all the way back in The Little Mermaid, even. Let's try something else.

~cough~

• Sword of Destiny (Polish original title: Miecz przeznaczenia), is the first of the two collections of short stories (the other being The Last Wish), both preceding the main Witcher Saga. The stories were written by Polish fantasy writer Andrzej Sapkowski. The first Polish edition was published in 1992.
    • A Game of Thrones is the first novel in A Song of Ice and Fire, a series of fantasy novels by American author George R. R. Martin. It was first published on August 6, 1996.
    • The Last of Us is an action-adventure survival horror video game developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. It was released for the PlayStation 3 in June 2013.

What was that about how many times have we seen this before Witcher? I mean...

• "The Little Mermaid" (Danish: Den lille havfrue) is a fairy tale by the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen about a young mermaid willing to give up her life in the sea and her identity as a mermaid to gain a human soul. The tale was first published in 1837

Okay I admit... I ADMIT IT! My argument is defeated by The Little Mermaid. It's obvious that every daughter and father dynamic duo in fiction owe their respects to The Little Mermaid.

Except this little mermaid didn't have a happy ending. Defied her father about being with humans, but her prince married a human princess in which causing her to go ballistic. She almost kill said prince, but instead, she commits suicide, turns into an ethereal spirit, and goes to heaven.

• I can't get through this entire video.

I got to the part where he was complaining about the dodge button and whining that he couldn't target the people that he wanted to target.

The combat system in The Wticher 3 isn't incredible by any means... but it's perfectly serviceable and I had no problems whatsoever targeting the characters I wanted to target. As for the dodge button, I mean... his complaint doesn't make any sense.

"This is for stupid console players and we should just be able to use WASD to avoid attacks"?

What is he even going on about? Sounds like he's just awful at the game honestly. I know that is a trite way of dismissing someone's opinion but his logic is severely lacking otherwise.

• @Whoaness Are you being sarcastic? I was just referencing recent works and those were the ones that came to mind. I actually meant the Little Mermaid Disney animation.