A Witcher 3 review that I agree with

• @El-Shmiablo I'm of the same opinion. The Witcher 3's story doesn't grip me, although I do respect it for being as well crafted as it is.

The combat is the absolute deal breaker for me with Witcher 3. It's the same at hour 1 than it is hour 50.

• @El-Shmiablo I hate opinions people pretend are self-evident. Skyrim is a totally different beast than conventional RPGs.

Frankly, it's the only open world game I think deserves to be open world. The gameplay and sense of exploration actually benefits from all the walking, whereas it doesn't in all these other games. Those games do a better job of any of telling stories through places and objects, not characters.

Criticizing Skyrim for having arch characters is completely missing the point. In Elder Scrolls games, the country is the character: the "characters" only exist to exemplify and develop it (except perhaps in the DLC).

• Banned

Skyrim is the EPITOME of conventional RPG.
    I can't think of one thing it excels at over other games. Hell, the core mechanics are dumbed down compared even to previous entries in the same series.

I feel that saying the "country is the character" is more an excuse for having bad characters. I cannot think of a single character in Skyrim that stands out, while I can name at least a dozen in any one Witcher.

The world is, in my opinion, boring and underdeveloped. For such a big place, I find it odd that the capitol city consists of only 9 wooden houses.

Seriously. Every complaint you raise against Witcher is magnified in Skyrim.

• @El-Shmiablo Epitome of conventional RPGs? Compared to what?

Witcher 3 lacks in combat choice for the player. That is by and large my biggest issue with it. It's extraordinarily boring.

• Banned

@Stormcrownn I admitted Witcher 3 has naff combat a while ago, bruh.
    It is the world, characters, and story that propel the game to the peak of it's genre.

I just don't understand how somebody can complain about all these things in Witcher and then say with a straight face that Skyrim is one of their favorite games.

• @Stormcrownn What? Witcher 3 has a ton of combat choices.

You can specialize in fighting skills, alchemy, magic, or bombs/items, and within those categories has 20 different kind of stats to invest in. The choices and combinations are in the thousands.

• Banned

@Whoaness Not to mention researching what signs, oils, and bombs creatures are weak to.
    I think a lot of people just pop Quen, jam the light attack button, and call it a day.

• I've been playing The Witcher 3 these past few days and I really don't understand the complaints towards combat. It's basically the system we've had in the Arkham games only with a lot more depth. It's not nearly as easy as the Arkham games because you don't get to just press triangle all day and counter every attack. If you invest in the right skills you can pull off some awesome stuff. Deflecting arrows back at enemies feels amazing for example.

I feel like people just don't take the time to understand the combat mechanics at all. They don't realize that you HAVE to dodge monsters because blocking won't stop their attacks. Dodging is preferable to rolling if you can time it right because it doesn't waste stamina. You should cast Quen right before you enter a fight when you know it's coming (which you should if you're preparing for one like you should be). You should know what you're fighting and apply the right oils beforehand. Look at the bestiary and see which enemies are weak to what tools.

No, it's not as streamlined as the system in Arkham or even clones like Shadow of Mordor. But it is more challenging and if you take the time to get good at it, it feels like you're dancing around the enemies. If we're talking about "self-evident" opinions nothing beats the generic "but the combat sucks" complaints when it comes to The Witcher 3. Compared to what exactly? We put up with far worse combat in AAA games but here it's suddenly the worst thing ever. It isn't perfect and it can be a little janky sometimes. But the thrill of preparing to take down a huge beast and then executing those plans perfectly is not something you get out of many games these days.

• Banned

@Stormcrownn said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@El-Shmiablo Epitome of conventional RPGs? Compared to what?

Witcher 3 lacks in combat choice for the player. That is by and large my biggest issue with it. It's extraordinarily boring.

Yeah, and? Everyone plays a stealth archer in Skyrim. It's literally the best way to play the game. Every other gameplay style is a complete mess.

• It's hilarious that some people hate Witcher 3 so passionately. I don't mean that everyone should like or love the game, but people act like CDPR has insulted their mothers.

But yeah, I've been following this thread for some time. And as someone who adores the Witcher series and has played well over 200 hours of W3 already (currently playing NG+) I thought I would chime in why I like the game.

Gameplay:

I agree that the combat in W3 isn't excellent. But to say it's garbage is overstating it. My problems with the combat come from the enemies mostly, the AI is bit clueless sometimes. The enemy variety is lacking in different mechanics and those that benefit from more diverse tactics are too forgiving. The game should force people to use their different skills and weapons more. The game allows quen + light attack spam bit too much. And especially the whirl skill trivializes many encounters, that I have noticed on NG+ while playing on Blood & Broken Bones. I really think that combat improved on the expansions, because they had better designed boss fights and added few quite tricky common enemies too. So for me it's not the Geralt's combat mechanics but enemy design that needed improvement.

Also huge part of the gameplay is exploration and how you can affect the stories and characters in the game.
    It's a big world with many great surprises. Many times you just find monster nests or bandit camps, that's nothing special. But you also find treasures like Witcher Gear formulas, these are usually accompanied by bit of lore. You find random encounters that aren't marked on the map, for example one of my recent findings was a rocktroll cooking some elf stew. I got to have a hilarious dialogue with him and also to choose how to deal with the situation, attack him or leave him be. And this is something that absolutely every RPG needs, even in small occasions like this. Not every encounter should end in a fight. It's a big part of the actual roleplaying in Witcher games how you treat some of the more intelligent "monsters." Also some quests have immediate effects, while others might come and bite your arse a bit later. Choice and consequence is really a big part of WRPG:s atleast. Can't comment JRPG:s that much, but in my experience it's not usually a big focus. This is maybe the biggest reason I prefer WRPG:s. And also the exploration is made enjoyable by, not the horse that runs into trees unlike Epona, but the design of the world. It's beautiful, varied and logical. The world feels so alive and real.

Story, dialogue

It's not just THE story, it's the countless different stories that happen throughout the game and all the variations how those stories can go. I haven't studied literature so I'm no expert in writing, but the characters are memorable, they have their own personalities. Dialogue feels natural and has lots of humour in it. Choices are often hard to make because of the gray moral area around some of them, or just because you are so invested in some character and would prefer to help them even when you know they are wrong. Witcher takes some fantasy and fairytale tropes and puts a great spin in them. The world is deep with lore, you can read and learn so much about the history of the world. Backgrounds of different characters and their culture, religion etc. It's all very well fleshed out. And you can see many of the differences by just playing without things being pointed out. For example how people treat women in their culture. There are no female soldiers in Novigrad or Velen for example, but Scoiatel (elven) recruits female's and even lets them lead. Skellige has Shieldmaidens in their military ranks, but still letting a female be the ruler isn't that commonly accepted.

I could write more about the game, but I doubt that many even want to read something as long as this. I guess I should mention the presentation of the game as a big positive too. Music, sound overall including voice acting, the graphics and art design are all top notch.

Edit: Wanted to add that Geralt is great! For someone who is supposed to be stripped from his emotions, he seems to be quite emotional after all. Ofcourse this also depends on how YOU play the game. I feel compassion to some contract givers and refuse the payment, if they have taken an orphan under their roof for example. Better to save that money for the kid. He also has really great sense of humour, sure it might mostly be a dry sarcastic wit but that's exactly what I like, rather than exaggerated doofus. He feels human and rational. And he looks dope as hell!

• Banned

@Budi Hey look at this guy being all concise n shit and saying everything I wish I could say far more eloquently than I could ever hope to.

• @El-Shmiablo said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@Budi Hey look at this guy being all concise n shit and saying everything I wish I could say far more eloquently than I could ever hope to.

Haha I felt like I was rambling too much. And still so much left to say. The different atmospheres the game offers also has a big impact on me. It can be creepy, funny, scary, chill, intense and much more. It's not just one note depressing as said by earlier poster. But yeah, there's a lot of dark and vile stuff going on. But I think it's paced quite well especially considering that it's an open world where you get to choose the order of your quests. There are light and heart warming scenes in the main story also.

• The world and gameplay seeming drab and monotone in Souls games is the reason I have never gave them a shot, even though I believe them to be great games. I really don't want to feel anxiety whole way through the game.

• @Budi said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

The world and gameplay seeming drab and monotone in Souls games is the reason I have never gave them a shot, even though I believe them to be great games. I really don't want to feel anxiety whole way through the game.

That was my opinion initially. But everyone kept yammering on about how great Dark Souls was, and after GT gave it RPG of the year 2011 I knew I had to at least give it a shot. I felt like if all of these people say it's so great, maybe I'm the one who's wrong for dismissing it.

And you know what, not only do you get used to the overbearing melancholy of it, you actually grow to love it. There's a certain beauty to Souls games that you can't find anywhere else. The same kind of somber beauty you'd find in a dead tree, or a storm. It's not what you would call a classically pretty world, but the vistas fill you with an intense reverence and awe that takes incredible skill to capture.

As it turns out the people praising it were right, and it's probably my favourite video game ever.

• @Paper-Lion said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@Budi said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

The world and gameplay seeming drab and monotone in Souls games is the reason I have never gave them a shot, even though I believe them to be great games. I really don't want to feel anxiety whole way through the game.

That was my opinion initially. But everyone kept yammering on about how great Dark Souls was, and after GT gave it RPG of the year 2011 I knew I had to at least give it a shot. I felt like if all of these people say it's so great, maybe I'm the one who's wrong for dismissing it.

And you know what, not only do you get used to the overbearing melancholy of it, you actually grow to love it. There's a certain beauty to Souls games that you can't find anywhere else. The same kind of somber beauty you'd find in a dead tree, or a storm. It's not what you would call a classically pretty world, but the vistas fill you with an intense reverence and awe that takes incredible skill to capture.

As it turns out the people praising it were right, and it's probably my favourite video game ever.

For sure, if Bloodborne was on PC I would have tried it already because of the art design. Very talented visual artists working at From Software. Also the more agressive and faster combat compared to Souls intriques me. Would you recommend the first Dark Souls or the third for a newcomer? Second is not an option here. But yeah, me not playing Souls games has nothing to do with the quality of the game, mostly the tone. One glove doesn't fit all. It's like people dismissing games (they never try them), such as Xcom or Civilization, it's not because they would be bad games. But because these people might not enjoy slow gameplay or micromanagement.

• Budi and several other people have already made excellent posts on here about the qualities of The Witcher 3 so there's nothing much else to say. I find the game to be fantastic also but if somebody else doesn't like it then that's fine.

I am still bemused by the level of hatred Witcher 3 generates though and the number of attacks upon it. I can't think of any other AAA game in recent memory that has had this many people launching passionate attacks upon it and determined to claim that something about it is objectively bad.

If you don't like a game folks then just move-on and play something you do like is my humble suggestion. The Allies spoke about this quite a bit on Frame Trap in fact this week (which was an excellent episode).

• @Budi said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@Paper-Lion said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@Budi said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

For sure, if Bloodborne was on PC I would have tried it already because of the art design. Very talented visual artists working at From Software. Also the more agressive and faster combat compared to Souls intriques me. Would you recommend the first Dark Souls or the third for a newcomer? Second is not an option here. But yeah, me not playing Souls games has nothing to do with the quality of the game, mostly the tone. One glove doesn't fit all. It's like people dismissing games (they never try them), such as Xcom or Civilization, it's not because they would be bad games. But because these people might not enjoy slow gameplay or micromanagement.

I would recommend the original Dark Souls for sure. It still holds up. It's definitely a series where you can jump in at any point, but a lot of what makes Dark Souls 3 spectacular is the context you get having played the previous games. Dark Souls 2 less so, but the first one definitely. I feel like you would be doing yourself a disservice by not playing that one first.

The first game also has some of the greatest moments in the franchise. So yeah, if you can play that, with the DLC (expansion really) Artorias of the Abyss, which is included in the Prepare To Die Edition, then definitely go for that one.

Just remember that you can press the help button to check the description of stuff in your stat and inventory screens. That helps a lot in understanding the cryptic symbols they use for a lot of stuff.

• @Budi The largest reason you see people taking up the torch against the Witcher 3 is that instead of people saying "It's my favorite video game of all time" - MANY people constantly say "It's the best video game of all time" - or that its a 10/10. That it changed gaming forever and we all transcended into another plane of existence where mere mortals can't grasp the magnificence of CD Projekt Red.

People like me, who didn't find the story very interesting, were also very bored by the combat. I've played the latest version of the game, and it is magnitudes better than the first 3-4 months of the game, but my core complaints are still very true.

Ultimately it comes down to what you were looking to get out of the Witcher 3. I really wanted to get into the combat, and nothing about it appealed to me. The difficulty curve of the game awkwardly drops off at level 10, and the majority of the level up point system amounts to small % increases across the board. (Something Skyrim got raked over the coals for doing at several points with 50% increases/etc. Mods did end up relieving a lot of the issues with these though).

There's also the specific style of combat that no matter what game it is in, I cannot get into it. The lock-on-dodge-counter-mash game. Games that people rave about for being amazing, Batman Arkham series and Assassin's Creed are the two I immediately think of. My mind just can't engage in the gameplay, I autopilot it and for the life of me cannot enjoy it.

I really genuinely envy people who can get into combat systems like that.

TL;DR - "Best video game" is an easy expression to get everyone riled up, because ultimately its how much you enjoyed something.

• It happens with every critically acclaimed game.

The more hyperbole people use to praise a game the more hyperbole people use to disparage it.

The Last of Us, Bioshock: Infinite, Metal Gear Solid 4, etc.

It's only amplified when a game is exclusive to one platform or has a controversial person behind the development of the game.

Basically, people need to be more like the guys at Easy Allies and recognize that this stuff isn't that serious and we can all have our own opinions on stuff.

• @Stormcrownn said in A Witcher 3 review that I agree with:

@Budi The largest reason you see people taking up the torch against the Witcher 3 is that instead of people saying "It's my favorite video game of all time" - MANY people constantly say "It's the best video game of all time" - or that its a 10/10. That it changed gaming forever and we all transcended into another plane of existence where mere mortals can't grasp the magnificence of CD Projekt Red.

TL;DR - "Best video game" is an easy expression to get everyone riled up, because ultimately its how much you enjoyed something.

Sure, but people say those things about From Software, Naughty Dog, Kojima and Rockstar etc. games too. I have seen people on these forums and EZA Patreon to complain "why did this game get the same or almost as good score as Dark Souls 3, that's a discgrace!" Not about other games, so maybe it's not the fans of Witcher that need reminding their favorite game isn't an actual gift from the gods.

And this topic for example, how was this provoked? Op linked an old review to a game that's over a year old. He didn't do it for disccusion as you can see from the original post and his participation later on. He just had a strange urge to remind people that he doesn't like something.

So no, I don't think your answer was correct since that logic should apply to all games then.

And yeah, if combat is your priority in games. Witcher 3 clearly isn't the best option. But for combat you should look for something else than RPG:s anyway. I shaked my head really hard when someone on Neogaf was complaining how bad most RPG:s are. He shitted on Pillars of Eternity for example for having "too much text". Ironically, the thing keeping me from continuing PoE is the combat.