Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

• I'm on board!

• Monster Boy is now out! Damn, this looks so good. Refreshing.

That 40 € price tag is just a little bit too high for me, I think, plus I don't exactly have time for the game now on December. But I'll definitely keep this on my radar, waiting for that perfect moment to grap it.

• I have to ask: isn't this just Wonder Boy. Maybe a remake or sequel? if so why is Monster Boy $20 more.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-switch

• @zrail Wonder Boy was a remake of an old game with new graphics, but you could also switch back to the classic ones.

Monster Boy is taking the concept of Wonder Boy and rebirthing it into a new franchise (if this game sells well) like Shantae.

• It's getting excellent reviews so far: https://opencritic.com/game/1752/monster-boy-and-the-cursed-kingdom?tab=1

But wow, I had no idea it was 40 €, that's not an impulse buy price point at all, I'm afraid that might bite them in the ass. When you see games like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight under 20 €, it's hard to justify.

• @axel said:

I had no idea it was 40 €, that's not an impulse buy price point at all, I'm afraid that might bite them in the ass.

That's fair.

When you see games like Hollow Knight under 20 €, it's hard to justify.

The real lesson there is Hollow Knight being criminally undervalued and indies being able to be amazing but still not worth as much as other games from bigger publishers to people.

• @mbun Yeah they might have been too generous with Hollow Knight, I'm pretty sure it would have sold as many copies for 10 € more, but that's just a gut feeling. It's pretty hard for indie studios to gauge the sweet spot since they don't have access to all the big data and market analysis that major publishers have. I hope Monster Boy does well though, it looks amazing!

• So did anybody end up playing this?

I just finished it this weekend and it's excellent, I highly recommend it. It's one of the best metroidvanias I've played, the closest comparison would be Shantae since you can transform into different monsters to get new abilities, but in my opinion it blows every Shantae game out of the water.

The gameplay is diverse, new abilities are doled out regularly enough so the action never gets stale. And what separates great metroidvanias from ok ones in my opinion: every new power completely turns the game on its head in terms of traversal and movement options. Formerly tough areas become trivial, and I caught myself thinking "wow, clever!" many times as they introduced new puzzles and challenges that required me to think outside the box and use my powers differently.

It's difficult too, don't let the cutesy graphics fool you. Some parts were as challenging as Hollow Knight, enemies hit hard! It took me 18 hours to 100% it, and I died over 100 times. But it's not as stressful, and save points are rather generous. I had to look up some of the last secrets as they were super obscure, but it's very rewarding to find some of the best hidden areas.

It's gorgeous, the soundtrack is top-tier, I could go on. Seriously, if this was a Nintendo game everybody would be praising it to the skies. The price tag may be off-putting but if you spent that much on Metroid: Samus Returns, you definitely should spend the same on this game.

• If the game's been on your radar, now is the time to jump in ;)

• I did notice that while browsing through the new sales on Store a few hours ago. 20 euros, I think I'll have to finally get this.