Little Moments of Gaming Joy Unrelated to Games?

• Hello wonderful allies!

Been thinking a lot about the ways that I enjoy games recently and realised that, for me, a lot of the greatest moments of joy I have when playing are kind of unrelated to the specific game that I'm playing. It's often more about those little habits or idiosyncrasies that I have before, during or after playing a game.

Examples for me are:

• The feeling of picking up my controller and pressing a bunch of the buttons before the game loads up in anticipation of the types of inputs I'm going to be making.

• The smell of a fresh brew just before I settle in for a 10 hour, through-the-night game sesh.

• The sound of the birds as it hits 5am and the sun is just beginning to come up.

• The sound of an Amazon package sliding through your letterbox, and the knowledge that the hot game I pre-ordered has finally arrived.

• When you're totally focused and in the middle of a really long JRPG boss battle (looking at you, Octopath!) and you desperately need to pee, but then you remember you're on the Switch so you can just bring that baby with you!

Know it's a bit random, but just wanted to know if any of you have the same sort of moments, and how they compare to the actual joy of the games themselves.

Hope I'm making at least a little sense! L&R! :)

• I remember the sounds of birds used to scare me, depending on when I did a all night marathon thru something as my parents didn't let me play games on sunday (Well during time when school was in session) Still remember playing Majora's Mask trying to read a guide by the glow of the TV, or staying up all night playing Pokemon using the light from a street light just outside my bedroom window, or me and my cousin staying at my place or his playing Phantasy Star Online splitscreen all night.

• I really love when a game has good music. I said in another thread recently that Jesper Kyd's superb soundtrack really elevated the experience of the Ezio trilogy. Doom 2016 is another game where, while already being a superb game, the soundtrack pushes it into the realm of greatness.
    Also, when Avril Lavigne's song Boyfriend comes on when I play Burnout Paradise I know shit is about to get CUH-RAZY.

• I love spontaneous all night game seshes with a friend. Medal of Honor and GTA II come to mind from back in the day. More recently, doing a coop run of Borderlands 2 or something with a case of beer, probably a 2AM pizza order, one of our roommates still being up for some reason and popping in to see how the game is going.. can't beat it.

I miss the anticipation of getting a new game more than anything.. back before I devoured games habitually and it was fairly rare for my parents to buy me a new one. Opening it up and going through the booklet in the car, getting home, firing it up and playing for what felt like 10 minutes before my dad told me it was nice out and I should go outside hehe.

• Back in college I once started playing Killzone 3 co-op with my roommate at 8. We didn't finish until 5 in the morning. Had a fucking blast and probably remember that game a lot more fondly than most because of that.

• I remember me and my brother playing thru RE5 outside one winter on our patio TV. Had some pizza, some soda, a nice big bonfire, a few of my brothers friends (seeing as mine were unavailable) Good time. Did the same for MGS4 for the last 3 chapters.
    As for why we had a patio TV, long story short Uncle co-owned a bar, in 2008 they finally got around to upgradeing to HD sets, and were giving the old ones away to friends and family. We go this 60 inch behemoth of a TV (First come, first go) Get it home and its too big to fit thru our door. So we prepared it as best we could for its new environment and it lasted pretty long outdoors seeing as we didnt have any issues with it till about 2012.
    Kinda miss that TV, but Flat screens make the rare late night outdoor session so much easier now.

• @RARMSTAR

• Reading the back of a game case or the instruction manual on the way home from the store
    • Returning to a retro system left on to preserve your place after hours
    • Seeing game advertisements on tv for a game you're getting soon
    • Carrrying around a VMU, Pokéwalker, or anything of that sort
    • When you beat someone so bad they toss the controller
    • Looking through old saves on a memory card or HDD
    • Using the Gamecube handle to carry it around
    • Finding the perfect game related t-shirt
    • Popping carts snuggly into the system
    • Playing a handheld while traveling
    • Console startup sequences
    • Physical preorder bonuses
    • Game rewards programs
    • Unboxing a new console
    • Midnight launch events
    • Gaming magazine ads
    • Reversible covers
    • Strategy guides
    • E3 conferences
    • Renting games

* EZA Content

• Sleepovers.

Aged 7-15. I think after that we'd just drive home cause we're too tired to actually sleep over at a friends house. You just hit an age where it stops being fun. But to be that age and have that experience again. I'd take up the offer in a heartbeat.

Oblivion all summer in 2006-2007 in my friends basement into the wee hours. Balder's Gate Dark Alliance, LOTR Return of the King, SOCOM II, Tony Hawk's Underground, GTA III, Warhawk, FIFA 2001. Too many sleepover memories. The games brought us together. It was the atmosphere in the room that made it more memorable. FIFA is a blur to me now, but I remember the fun time.

• @rarmstar said in Little Moments of Gaming Joy Unrelated to Games?:

Been thinking a lot about the ways that I enjoy games recently and realised that, for me, a lot of the greatest moments of joy I have when playing are kind of unrelated to the specific game that I'm playing. It's often more about those little habits or idiosyncrasies that I have before, during or after playing a game.

Hmm... I don't think my "greatest" joys occur outside the medium itself, but I get what you are hinting at and I have a few of mine to share even if they are perhaps just "minor" joys to me:

• The tactical sensation and the mechanical sound or click after pressing a console's power-on button. OG Gameboy and SNES are probably my favorites.
    • Those occasions when I am cleaning or re-arranging a room, stumble into my old strategy guides, and flip through them again. Some of them are falling apart, some have copious amounts of my own notes in them from years long past, and in general they can recall to mind my memories of reading them back to back in their original time.
    • The top loading mechanism for the Gamecube. In particular, the accepting response of that little silver button in the middle grabbing onto the disc after you have pressed down gently.

Expanding the last point out more broadly, I will say it is my favorite style of optical disc loading method. I do not like the more modern "feeder" style of disc loading where you put the disc partway into a knife slit and the console pulls the disc in the rest of the way by itself like a greedy mailbox. There is also the third style of optical loading, most commonly seen in PC disc drives, where you press a button to eject a plastic tray, lay the disc into the tray, and then press the button again to retract. The least elegant of the three in my opinion, and prone to accidental breakage/misalignment should something accidentally knock the tray while it is ejected.

• Everytime i have to switch to the claw grip with my controller. The game is making things harder and expecting me to bow down, but all i do is switch grips and ramp things up. It's like a silent gesture equivalent to saying "This isn't even my final form!".

• @dmcmaster:

staying up all night playing Pokemon using the light from a street light just outside my bedroom window.

Oh man, so many memories!! Every time when we'd have a long car journey at night and I had to use each passing streetlight to shine light on my Gameboy, do one bit of movement, then wait for the next streetlight. Distinctly have memories of doing this while trying to get through Rock Tunnel without Flash in Pokémon Red, and do lots of barrel jumps in DK Country.

It probably sucked at the time, but remember it so fondly now looking back.

• I even wonder if watching + enjoying Easy Allies content is an example of what we're discussing.

I mean, to a certain extent it doesn't particularly matter what game the 9 Allies are discussing/playing at any one moment during a stream or podcast: I get so much just from seeing them in their element and enjoying their jobs, and for me getting to be part of that wider community. I'll often have Frame Trap/the EZA Podcast/Fiasconauts/a stream archive on in the background while playing a non-story-heavy game, and love having that.

Just a wee thought :)

• @rarmstar said:

I even wonder if watching + enjoying Easy Allies content is an example of what we're discussing.

Easily.

I mean, to a certain extent it doesn't particularly matter what game the 9 Allies are discussing/playing at any one moment during a stream or podcast

If I can get something out of Bosman playing Beastly or other allies playing games I actively dislike, then I'm clearly not there "for the game", but it is without a doubt game adjacent.

• @mbun Yeah, you're right - it's not that my lasting memories of those stream were Beastly itself, but Kyle's incredible reactions to that specific game. So it ends up as a bit of both.

What amazing streams those were tho!!

• In high school I used to have a big group of friends over to play Melee for hours and hours. Basically just getting stoned with Harvey Birdman playing in the background screaming dumb shit and memes at eachother.
    We called them Geek Nights. Had so many we started giving them titles. Geek Night: BL has fire powers (That was the night Brawl came out and our friendbwho mains Yoshi found out his final smash let him breath fire) . Geek Night: APPLEJACKS APPLEJACK APPLEJACKS RIIIIIDGE RACERRRR (My little brother just burst into the room and screamed this for no reason. We laughed for a solid 20 minutes).
    Perhaps my favorite was Geek Night: Birdman whooped my ass, where we played hide and seek in the house while the DVD menu music for Harvey Birdman blared in the background.

• I think my favorite thing that qualifies was the feeling I had waking up early on a Saturday morning and just playing JRPGs on my PS1. No other responsibilities, no other worries, no one really disrupting me, just playing games like Suikoden and Breath of Fire III until it was time to eat some lunch.

One of the weirdest things about that feeling is that sometimes, something in my brain just triggers that exact feeling, that exact nostalgia for no apparent reason. It's there, it's a part of me, yet I know if I were to wake up early on a Saturday and play the exact same games, it wouldn't feel quite right. Kinda bittersweet in a way.

• As I got older collecting video games has become almost as big as a hobby as playing video games for me.

I used to love playing video games until far past midnight when I had the next day off.
    This is reversed now. Now I love to wake up early in the morning on a free day and start my day playing some games.

Also, love to hold a Gamecube controller.

• @chocobop Yeah, toploading is the way to go. I just like that you don't need to power on the console to remove and/or insert the disc.

• I remember in my High Schools anime club every 3rd Wensday of the month was game day, usally all of us playing Smash or Halo or various import anime games. Then one day someone brought in Soul Caliber 3 which I had been playing pretty religiously for about a year at that point, and let's just say after that day we never played Soul Caliber again after that.

• I don't know if this counts, but i also love good looking console/handheld design. I used to stare at my old fat PS3 in awe just because of how mighty that big hunk of plastic was. I also had a Super Slim PS3 that has the mechanical disc cover, loved that too. The PS4 slim surprised me, looking at it with my own eyes, it actually looked way better than in photos. The design of Xbox One X is honestly one of the biggest reasons why i even want that expensive thing.

As for handheld, the Fat PS Vita is easily the best designed handheld out there. It's small enough, has more than enough input methods (maybe too much), it's comfortable to hold and not to mention it looks beautiful. Just the act of holding it is a joy, lol. Good design matters more for a handheld, and the Vita absolutely nails it for me.