Is anyone playing Shenmue for the first time?

• Can someone please explain to me a couple of stuff :
    1- want is the meaning of assigning a move to R2?
    2- how does the training work?

• @a7x458 If I remember right, training helps you master moves. Not sure about the R2 thing.

• @bard91

Totally fair, I saw Jim's video as well. Like most of his videos I feel his criticism is totally fair but he also tends to be a lot more negative about things then I personally am. The first game has many moments in it where you have to wait for a certain time of day to advance the story, which I totally get can frustrate people. Last night when I was playing my next story event was the next day at 3 pm, it was 4pm of the current day meaning I'd basically have to spend a day not advancing the story. While there are some side stuff you can do to kill time by today's standard its very limited.

If this is such a drawback for you that you think you'll pass on the game I might suggest seeking out the Shenmue movie, which is the basic story of Shenmue cut to a 90 min movie. Shenmue 2 is better about allowing you to advance time to start up the next story event and is generally more action packed then the first game, however, I don't think you can just buy two by itself.

• forklift part is so annoying. i wish i can skip it.

• Me at the 1st day of the forklift jop : this is fun i don't see why people complain about this part.

Me at day 5 : this is the worst filler part of a game i ever played.

I like the story and characters but i think they stretch the story too thin in the forklift section of the game.

• I'm quite surprised but how much I'm liking this game so far.

• It's a slow burn, I havent played the remaster yet, though sounds like there is some quality life of improvements

I did play it for the first time around 2010 and I really enjoyed it, so I definitely played it long after it was new and still enjoyed it

• I beat shenmue 1 and in through half way to shenmue 2 in kowloon. the ghost bulding QTE was worst and most annoying part.

game is not masterpiece many claim but good game. im surprised i actually liked it.

• Finally finished Shenmue 1. I really love this game! There's so much i want to gush about. It goes out of it's way to fully realize a realistic, believable world by inserting all sorts of detail. From little things like being able to open cabinets in your home and seeing that they're actually filled with stuff, to more bold decisions like forcing us to do daily (forklift) jobs like real people do, it's a creative vision that i very much respect, and i believe that they have succeeded in doing it. Playing at the arcades while waiting for the bar to open up is a cool thing to do in a video game. I just wish you can interact more with the objects in the world, like being able to sit in the park bench.

The combat is simple, but also pretty fun. Learning new moves is cool since there's no button prompts showing up telling you what to do, just figure out the simple instructions from the teacher. There's not too much combat too, and you can't just go around randomly beating people, which i love.

Dialog and voice acting is the obvious low point for me, but it got more endearing to me as the game goes on, and it kinda makes up for making the revenge story feel not as serious as it should be. Nozomi is a sweetheart through and through, and i also grew fond of the other characters: Fuku-san, Ine-san, Tom, you name it. I didn't hate anyone in this game.

I also love the decision of using non-camera dependent tank controls to walk around. With the controls, i can just walk around and also able to look freely without worrying about changing directions because i'm moving the camera so much. Walking in night-time Dobuita while looking around and taking in the vibes felt so refreshing, it's like actually walking down the streets in real life.

On a side note, i missed two trophies. Man, i'm so close from getting all of them in one playthrough! I didn't meet the old lady (never saw her), and for some reason i didn't get the Fuku-san practice trophy too (i'm sure i did it). Well, i guess i can use this as a reason to replay this game one day.

• Yup, first time player here and I'm streaming both Shenmue 1 and 2 (currently about four hours into 2).

I actually had a great time with Shenmue and I think it's really interesting to see how much it goes for realism with the recent praise regarding Red Dead Redemption 2. Like you literally start the game looking through all the drawers and cabinets in your house and it's a real mixed bag on what you'll find in there.

Then the world itself does feel lived... for a game of that generation. Having a day and night cycle, people having specific routines to that, it is a bit crazy to see that they achieved that as well as possible and while a lot of conversations are just I can't talk now, it still adds that bit of authenticity to the game that you can interact with everyone.

People do seem to like to compare this and Yakuza and I think they're extremely different games. This is way more of an exploration/detective style game. The vast majority of it is finding out what something means or where someone is and the best thing about the game is that you're given directions to everything, it isn't just pointed out to you. I absolutely love that. It really makes the whole world feel so alive when you have this person telling you it's down here, take a left etc. I really wish more games would do that.

On the combat, it's a mixed bag. It just took me a while to figure out what I had to do for inputs at first. I like that there is definitely skill involved to nail down some moves but I also find it extremely difficult to figure out when I can use those moves. It just feels like I either don't have enough time or distance to the enemy to pull off some of the more complicated ones. Maybe this is something that's addressed in Shenmue 2 a bit more or I'll just have to improve.

Other little things, have to give a shout out to Hang on, that arcade game is so damn good and I love the music in it.
    The second half of the game, all the forklift work basically, is actually a lot more fun than it has any right being.

The last thing I want to say is that it is really brave to end this game where they did. At times I was thinking "Oh jesus, people who played this must have been so disappointed they never face Lan Di" but they do a pretty good job in the end by setting the expectations. What I mean by that is there is a point where it feels like everything is culminating and then they kinda tone it all down and slow down the pace to make sure you realise you're near the end and you haven't even left for Hong Kong yet. Then to add to that they finish off on a nice high point with a fight you did absolutely want.

So all in all, really loved my time with Shenmue and looking forward to digging into 2 a lot more which you can absolutely tell is just so much bigger in scale.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Is anyone playing Shenmue for the first time?:

Yup, first time player here and I'm streaming both Shenmue 1 and 2 (currently about four hours into 2).

I actually had a great time with Shenmue and I think it's really interesting to see how much it goes for realism with the recent praise regarding Red Dead Redemption 2. Like you literally start the game looking through all the drawers and cabinets in your house and it's a real mixed bag on what you'll find in there.

Then the world itself does feel lived... for a game of that generation. Having a day and night cycle, people having specific routines to that, it is a bit crazy to see that they achieved that as well as possible and while a lot of conversations are just I can't talk now, it still adds that bit of authenticity to the game that you can interact with everyone.

People do seem to like to compare this and Yakuza and I think they're extremely different games. This is way more of an exploration/detective style game. The vast majority of it is finding out what something means or where someone is and the best thing about the game is that you're given directions to everything, it isn't just pointed out to you. I absolutely love that. It really makes the whole world feel so alive when you have this person telling you it's down here, take a left etc. I really wish more games would do that.

On the combat, it's a mixed bag. It just took me a while to figure out what I had to do for inputs at first. I like that there is definitely skill involved to nail down some moves but I also find it extremely difficult to figure out when I can use those moves. It just feels like I either don't have enough time or distance to the enemy to pull off some of the more complicated ones. Maybe this is something that's addressed in Shenmue 2 a bit more or I'll just have to improve.

Other little things, have to give a shout out to Hang on, that arcade game is so damn good and I love the music in it.
    The second half of the game, all the forklift work basically, is actually a lot more fun than it has any right being.

The last thing I want to say is that it is really brave to end this game where they did. At times I was thinking "Oh jesus, people who played this must have been so disappointed they never face Lan Di"

I can't say it really hit me that way back then. There was already information out there for Shenmue 2 and development times weren't rediculous like they are today. Wait till you finish Shenmue 2 though and see what you think of people who played it at release then lol.