Let's Vote for our GOTY 2000!

• The GOTY votes are back, and for this edition I more or less arbitrarily picked the year 2000!

For those unfamiliar with the process, we all secretly vote for our favorite games of a specific year, and through advanced maths end up with a definitive ranking and crown the GOTY.

Here's how it works:

You may pick up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

If you've got less than 8 games, no problem, the honorable mentions are optional.

Send me this list via the chat function of the forum (private message) or by email at eza.goty@gmail.com. Don't forget to mention your forum username if you send an email.

The list of games eligible only includes games released in the West (US and/or Europe) in 2000.

Games that came out prior to 2000 and were ported to new platforms in 2000 (such as Omikron: The Nomad Soul on Dreamcast) are not eligible.
    DLCs and expansions (like Age of Empires II: The Conquerors) are also not eligible.
    Stand-alones (such as Homeworld: Cataclysm) are eligible.

Wikipedia offers a comprehensive list of 2000 releases. There's another one here.

I've distilled this list in the following post for your convenience, but make sure to double-check using the wiki page. If you notice any game not mentioned on Wikipedia, let me know and I'll add it to the list here.

As always, do not post your votes on the forum before the reveal is over.

After about 2 weeks, the nominations will be closed, and I will proceed to tally the votes and reveal our GOTY list via a countdown.

There's a surprising amount of contenders as that year straddled two generations, with N64 and PS1's twilight months and the emergence of PlayStation 2 and Dreamcast. It should be an interesting one!

• Non-exhaustive list of eligible games, in completely random order:

Crazy Taxi, Mario Party 2, Nox, Resident Evil – Code: Veronica, The Sims, Vagrant Story, Dead or Alive 2, Pokémon Stadium, Kessen, Thief II: The Metal Age, Wario Land 3, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, Soldier of Fortune, MDK2, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Excitebike 64, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Wild Arms 2, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Perfect Dark, Daikatana, Ground Control, Space Channel 5, Shogun: Total War, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Icewind Dale, Jet Set Radio, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, Homeworld: Cataclysm, Strider 2, Chrono Cross, Mario Tennis, Parasite Eve II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, Destruction Derby Raw, Skies of Arcadia, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, TimeSplitters, Mega Man Legends 2, Midnight Club: Street Racing, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Fantavision, SSX, Tekken Tag Tournament, Shenmue, Escape from Monkey Island, The Operative: No One Lives Forever, Final Fantasy IX, Tomb Raider Chronicles, Sacrifice, Hitman: Codename 47, Banjo-Tooie, MechWarrior 4: Vengeance, American McGee's Alice, Grandia II, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Armored Core 2, Breath of Fire IV, Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Colony Wars III: Red Sun, Counter-Strike, Dino Crisis 2, Driver 2, Fear Effect, Hogs of War, MediEvil 2, Messiah, Metropolis Street Racer, Power Stone 2, Ridge Racer 64, Syphon Filter 2, Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins, Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption, Spider-Man, Pokémon Gold and Silver, ChuChu Rocket!, Virtua Tennis, Sega GT, F355 Challenge, Samba de Amigo, Legend of Mana, Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, Alundra 2: A New Legend Begins, Front Mission 3, Crash Bash, The Legend of Dragoon, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, Crimson Skies, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

• Oh boy! Can't wait for this!

• Wops, did not notice this was supposed to be secret XD

• Thankfully i already played enough games from the year, but i need to play Vagrant Story first, maybe then i can decide on the list.

• Yes @Axel - love these!!

• Just sent my list, thanks again Axel for hosting these!

Going through all those games made me realize how many of the big and iconic games I only had second-hand experience of. A bummer, really, and I don't know if I'll ever find time to go back to them with new and interesting ones coming out all the time. Still, managed to gather a pretty versatile list for this out of my favourites.

• This was the easiest submission so far since I've played only one game from the list.

• Global Moderator

If there is a game you particularly liked that year that might go a bit unknown, I suggest now is the time to champion that game before we get to the end of the results and some posters mention they forgot about it.

• random ass year, with a pretty interesting list of games, I like it, sent mine.

• I know there are a lot of big names on that list, but please don't forget Neversoft's Spider-Man, people. The granddad of Spidey games, it let you do lots of cool things in the environments, and the rogues gallery was very cool. Great voice acting, too, and even Stan Lee opened the game.
    alt text

• Just throwing it out there that Pokemon Gold and Silver came out in Oct. 2000, not sure why it isn't on Wikipedia's page.

Also, let the record show that Metal Slug 3 would absolutely be on my list if not for the fact that it apparently (I'm just going off wikipedia here) didn't come out in the states until 2001.

• Global Moderator

Ohhhhhh. Well now I've got some games to add with Pokemon. I gotta admit, there are a lot of big games on that list that I know of and have seen (I'm actually streaming Deus Ex currently for the first time) but this was clearly the times when I could only get 1-2 games a year because right now, I'd struggle to pick a top 5.

• @hanabi Thanks for mentioning Pokémon, totally missed that one, I added it to the list up top.

@Sentinel-Beach Never played that Spider-Man game, but it looks very impressive for a PS1 game!

• I'd also recommend double-checking wikipedia's list of games released for certain systems (namely DC, PS1, N64 and Game Boy Color) just to double check. I went through the Dreamcast's 2000 releases there and found a good couple of games that either made my list or just barely missed it because of that, since they aren't on the 2000 page itself.

• @hanabi Good call, I'll go through them quickly and try to add some more games to the list.

• Special shoutouts to Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2, and Star Wars Racer Arcade. They didn't make my list, but just barely.

As always, I will relish NOT putting Chrono Cross on my list - because I hate that F'ing game.

• Looking at Wikipedia's list I am blown away by the year 2000. So many good games as well as culturally significant ones (i.e. The Sims). This was a time of discovery for me. I was only like 6 years old. PCs were new and I don't think we had one or at least a good one until maybe 2001 or 2002. I may have only had GameBoy Color and N64 here, but my dad's house had PS1 which I dabbled in. This was the beginning for me basically.

I think I played most games from 2000 in the year 2001. I'll have to judge this list based on me - the kid. I've gone back and played a lot of these games, but I'm gonna act like I hadn't and only rank the ones I played back then.

• Yeeeesssss!!! I've been waiting to for this!

Going through the list for 2000, it's clear I really did not hit my gaming stride until a year or two later. However, I was able to fill out a full list and I've sent it in.

ALSO: PSA in case you want an additional way to search for games, if you go to Metacritic, they have an option to search by year. Sure, you'll come across duplicates, but I found it a great resource in finding the best of the best (of the time).

• Deus Ex.

not only GOTY 2000 but still best game ever today.