Cyperpunk twitter account makes a transphobic joke and apologizes

• Global Moderator

Making this thread to move the conversation from That's News. Just to give some context
    0_1535023973024_1fbez7.png

@tokyoslim said in Cyperpunk twitter account makes a transphobic joke and apologizes:

For context:
    https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/did-you-just-assume-my-gender

• @el-shmiablo I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean I approve of it any more and I would rather at least express my discontent that just leave it be.

• Looks like we might have a developing story soon, as someone on Reset Era has doxxed a CD Projekt Red staff member .
    0_1534952322284_DlLMrZSU0AA0ge-.jpg

• "I don't post this for the purposes of 'mobilizing,' I just wanted to dox him so people knew who to yell at."

I genuinely hate this outrage culture society is so embroiled in these days. Someone apologizes, but it's not good enough so we need a name and a face so we can shame both the person and the company they work for until they get fired over a tweet I didn't like.

• @hanabi What actually happened with CD Projekt? Didn't hear about any controversy lately.

• Is it this one? The CD Projekt Red tweet.

https://www.vgr.com/cd-projekt-red-apology-transphobic/

• What in the hell has the world come to that you need to apologise for that...

• It was a stupid and insensitive tweet and whoever is in charge of the official Twitter should know better.

• A@tokyoslim said in That's News!:

It was a stupid and insensitive tweet and whenever is in charge of the official Twitter should know better.

I don't know what to say..

• I mean, there's not much TO say, knowing you can't tweet disparaging jokes is kinda part of the job for a PR person or community manager or what have you. Whether or not you intend to hurt someone, it's literally in your job description to take into account the ways in which people will interpret your messaging. This wasn't some dev or intern on his off time, this was the official verified Cyberpunk Twitter account during the biggest games conference in Europe. It was a bad call.

And yes, the person posting the personal info on ERA was wrong, the info was quickly removed and literally everyone in that thread told them they were an a-hole for posting it. Just to provide context for an out of context post.

• @tokyoslim said in That's News!:

I mean, there's not much TO say, knowing you can't tweet disparaging jokes is kinda part of the job for a PR person or community manager or what have you. Whether or not you intend to hurt someone, it's literally in your job description to take into account the ways in which people will interpret your messaging. This wasn't some dev or intern on his off time, this was the official verified Cyberpunk Twitter account during the biggest games conference in Europe. It was a bad call.

That literally sounds like an impossible job. What can potentially "offend" someone is undefinable. We literally all need to grow up and grow a pair.

• @tokyoslim this much is true in that it was a bad call, the outrage over this however is insane to me despite the fact that I agree with the sentiment the reaction is just too much in my mind.

• That literally sounds like an impossible job. What can potentially "offend" someone is undefinable. We literally all need to grow up and grow a pair.

Well, it's certainly not impossible, since there's thousands of brands out there with official Twitter accounts that don't tweet transphobic jokes out

"Growing up" means taking responsibility for your words and actions, and having some empathy. I would agree that more people need to do that.

• @bard91 what outrage though? There's a few people not buying the game because of the unsatisfactory way in which CDPR is handling itself, there's a few people that think the person behind the Twitter account should probably be fired. There's a few people upset that the apology was so milquetoast that it took no responsibility for what was said and worded it so as to deflect blame onto "those offended". Nobody is organizing a boycott. The one person posting personal info was swiftly dealt with. People are upset at CDPR for how they handled this, and that's fine.

• @sheria Why does being considerate of others sound like an impossible job to you?

• @el-shmiablo said in That's News!:

@sheria Why does being considerate of others sound like an impossible job to you?

Because there's no definable boundaries. Everyone's different.

• @sheria Unless you're talking about how cosmically nothing we do matters and good and bad are human constructs (which is esoteric as hell, but bullshit in context), that's a disingenuous argument to make in this circumstance.

• @tokyoslim that much I honestly have not seen, what I knew of the story was limited to.

They made a tweet and people got angry at the tweet, expressing how they would not be supporting the game, and in some cases do calling out the company and close to suggesting a boycott.

I honestly hadn't heard anything about the apology or any controversy about it so I can't comment on that, but for the rest from my perspective it just seems like something incredibly blown out of proportion.

• @dmcmaster you probably meant to tag me and not axel, but because one person makes a YouTube video claiming there's a huge backlash and that people are out to destroy CDPR doesn't mean it's true. I am in the thread on ERA referenced earlier and while people are understandably mad at how CDPR PR is handling this situation, and there are individual people claiming they won't buy the game because of this (and other continued pr misfires of this nature) there is nobody out to destroy CDPR and talks of boycotting have been swiftly shut down. The only people suggesting a mass boycott have generally been exaggerating in bad faith.