Cyperpunk twitter account makes a transphobic joke and apologizes

• Banned

i would just like to say that i agree with @Sheria

this is non-news and does not deserve a thread

• @david-berishaj It was put in a thread because it was dominating the That's News thread.

• @dmcmaster See there lies the real issue for me. I would say the joke probably shouldn't have been tweeted from a company account, but it looks like these people have decided how trans people should feel about it and have elevated that over their real feelings. I don't see how you can claim to be defending them when you attack them for not agreeing with you.. especially when its over a relatively benign issue. Its kind of delegitimizes their whole crusade in my opinion

Now as for the "did you assume my gender" thing.. to me (and I think to those who would use it as a joke) it represents those who expect 99.9% of the population to be hip to the intricacies of something that has only recently started to be discussed in the mainstream. I'm sure being misgendered can be hurtful and I know there are real assholes out there but responding like that assumes their intent when instead you could educate them on your situation and help them realize their mistake.

Also I wish people would stop accusing every little thing of "fill in the blank - phobia". The joke may be inappropriate for a company account but there's no evidence of actual transphobia there. You're watering down the definition

• @dmcmaster said in Cyperpunk twitter account makes a transphobic joke and apologizes:

Rest Era has also harassed a trans games journalist for basically no agreeing with the hive mind

OR: ResetEra bans Daily Mail contributor for anti-trans commenting, which violates their terms of service agreement. Seems like you're trying to spin things pretty hard man.

I think we should avoid making this a "ResetEra did X thing thread".

• When stuff like this is still super common in our society, companies should be really fucking careful what they post on their social media channels. This has nothing to do with "Outrage" or "PC" culture, Transgender individuals are being threatened on a daily basis, CDPR is just enabling this behavior and is downplaying the very real struggle.

• @david-berishaj The fact it's regarding a very prominent company in the games industry and has over 50 posts suggests otherwise.

If you have no interest in the topic, you don't need to check out that topic.

• @tokeeffe9 at least half of those posts are mine though. :p

• I haven't contributed much to this topic because honestly I'm tired of hearing the same excuses from the same people over and over.
    "They should just get over it."
    "Everybody is so offended these days."
    "Its all part of the SJW agenda."
    If you have legitimately thought any of these thoughts, you can fuck right off into the sun because you are a trash human who lacks basic human empathy.
    I have two trans siblings, and you wouldn't believe the shit they go through on a daily basis.
    I live in Halifax, which I would consider a pretty liberal province, and I still witness some pretty sickening shit. Saw somebody nearly get assaulted on the bus home for no other reason than what they were wearing.

• Banned

They should get over it, anyone who says otherwise is a fucking waste of space who should jump off the next bridge they see.

• @el-shmiablo I sympathize and share the concern you have for your siblings and anyone else that goes through hell because of who they are, despite your accusations I'll tell you that I don't lack empathy for others, but I have grown tired in seeing people get offended for virtually every single thing and nearly starting crusades for taking things with no ill intent as an attack and demonizing anyone that disagrees.

We should all be mindful of others, but none of us are perfect and we sometimes do stuff without fully realizing what others may think, I try not to condone people because of such cases, and I don't believe that makes any lesser my intent of respecting people and their beliefs and striving for a more equal society, if you want to condemn me and anyone that doesn't share your views as trash that's up to you and I won't try to convince you otherwise, I and others that share these goals find difficulty in being so strict about this matters.

• Hey, can you guys not make veiled insults towards other members of the forum. Both of you are way out of order. It doesn't matter how strongly you feel, wishing death on someone is never okay.

• Global Moderator

@mcgeezaks No, they shouldnt "get over it". That is extremely offensive. Next time try to think further than that. Consider it a warning.

• Banned

@lotias It's not extremely offensive lmao, get over yourselves. This forum is a joke and the fact that El Shmiablo's comment gets a pass but not mine is just proof of that. Geez.

• Global Moderator

@mcgeezaks it IS extremely offensive and urging someone to jump off a bridge and being "waste of space" because they are taking offence on a "joke" towards a whole sexual orientation. Do you have any clue how much these people have to put up with on a daily basis? We are trying to keep a welcoming atmosphere for ALL LGBTQ+ people here. I'm sorry that you feel that these forums are a joke. But comments like that will never be accepted here.

• Banned

@lotias Oh I see, that's offensive but telling someone to jump into the sun because they are human garbage for not sharing your (((correct))) opinion is fine. You didn't seem to understand why I made that comment but you did prove the point I made.

Listen, everybody, if you weren't offended on the behalf of the trans community or thought that the twitter comment they made was ''extremely offensive'', then you're human garbage that deserves to die - EZA, 2018

• Global Moderator

@mcgeezaks I'm not saying that the way he went on about it was all correct. I just say that I have a better understanding (empathy) from that standpoint. I won't tolerate an right out attack on a whole group. If you tried to "prove a point" by telling them to kill themselves you went about it the completely wrong way. As I said, we want people to feel welcome and be able to use this space to discuss and hang out in a "safe" environment. Please try to think a little bit further than yourself. Its so much more than "just one comment", Its also what these people have to put up with every, single, day. You don't have to feel offended by the twitter post, I ask you to stay away from posting very offensive material towards the group that it was about.

So yes. Understand that we ask for some empathy. Thank you.

• Leaving the entire conversation in tact so people can see why some members have been banned. If you can't talk about this like civil people, the same will apply.

@el-shmiablo - You have points in your post that I agree with but you stepped over the line. Think about that in future. We can discuss when you're back.

@Mcgeezaks - You're basically just digging as much as you can. The comments you made, clearly are offensive and you just kept going with it. You don't need to worry about the forums anymore.

If anyone wants to continue with this interaction, you can take it to PM with the mods. Back on topic please.

• i really wouldn't call it transphobic. In fact you would hear similar arguments in the trans community how you cant just look at someone and assume.

either way, obviously its not smart to really have interactions like this. but you do see official twitters like sonic the hedgehog attempt and with greater success similar edgy responses. I guess it comes down to choosing the right jokes in this current political climate.

I will say this though, people have not gotten fired for more and work in mainstream journalist outlets. but its "ok" if the target isn't a minority and that doesn't make sense either.

• @tokyoslim Unrelated but iv seen some swastika shit being sold in Harujuku and was genuinely confused. and im not even talking about hindu stuff. i mean read background black swastika stuff. Is it not as big of a deal there?

https://www.vice.com/sv/article/xd5bdd/nazis-chic-is-asias-offensive-fashion-craze-456

imagine if shit like that happened here

• I dont see it as a big deal however im a straight guy so i really have no right to say whether its offensive or not , however in charge of the Social media page of a big company like that you really shouldnt joke about stuff like that.