The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• The first "Blast from the Past" edition is about the year 2000!

It was a transitional year as the Nintendo 64 was in its twilight years, the PlayStation was renamed the PS One to make way for the PlayStation 2, and the Dreamcast was just getting started. So we've got a mix of games on brand new shiny consoles and games on older but more confident platforms.

Also, I have not included any GT reviews for these games because... GT didn't exist yet at the time! It was basically prehistory.

In total, I received 36 lists and 68 games, a bit tighter than usual but with still some clear stand-outs.

Thanks again to everyone who participated!

Now let's start the countdown to find out who you've picked as the GOTY 2000!

• Tekken Tag Tournament

#24. Tekken Tag Tournament - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #3: 1 (naltmank)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: October 26 [US], November 24 [EU]
    Developer: Namco
    Publisher: Namco
    Genre: Fighting
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

TimeSplitters

#24. TimeSplitters - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (jipostus)
    #3: 1 (Inustar)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Hazz3r)

Information

Release date: October 26 [US/EU]
    Developer: Free Radical Design
    Publisher: Eidos Interactive
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Great, TTT made it! It was one of my first games on PS2, and dear Lord what an experience it was. The graphics were insanely beautiful and like from another world after PS1. It was literally like realism at that point. The smoothness of the combat made things even better, I couldn't understand how a game like this could be possible. I had fallen in love with Tekken during Tekken 3 a few years earlier, so the number of fighters and the whole tag system made my eyes shine in gratitude. Armor King became one of my favourites, and I remember playing the Survival Mode a lot with Jin & Jack-2, I had found a solid strategy with those two. And Tekken Bowl! Too cool. :)

• Tekken Tag Tournament is definitely one of those games where I remember it looking no different to fighting games that get released today. It was the game that we all played at the friend who owned a PS2 already. For a lot of people it was the first time they'd seen a tagging mechanic in a fighting game so it was pretty innovative to a lot of people.

Timesplitters was Goldeneye for the Multiplatform. What a wonderful game with great character that grew into a great series. Still gutted that the series stopped, but really encouraged to see THQ Nordic pick it up. I do wonder what's happened to Rewind, there hasn't been a dev update since New Years Eve.

• 2000 wasn't a year for me in gaming, so I can't comment like I normally do (I'll probably only speak about four entries), but I'll do my best with what's posted.

For Tekken Tag Tournament, being a complete novice in the fighting game genre leaves me without the ability to really say anything, so good for it for showing up on the list.

Timesplitters is interesting in light of the recent (?) news that THQ Nordic bought the IP. I'm curious if it will be revived and either remastered or a new game will come.

Super happy for the return of this type of thread!

• Tekken Tag Tournament is one of the two 2000 games I played for the first time after sending my list (the other being Shenmue). I quite like it but don't want to think about whether or not I would have put it on my list if I played it prior.
    TTT feels like a greatest hits Tekken game from up to that point, throw away the story and put all the characters together. It's kinda like KoF '98 or '02 in that regard.

TimeSplitters is on the right spot on the list for me. Fun game but nothing special. It seems really designed for the multiplayer. There really isn't much to the single player campaign of the first TS though it is fun while it lasts.
    Also I don't think it the first one ever came out on Gamecube and Xbox or am I wrong?

• i was 8 years old in 2000 (im old i know) so most of the games i voted on were played years after they came out

• @ff7cloud said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

i was 8 years old in 2000 (im old i know)

I was 15! :(

• I was 20

• Timesplitters was so close for me as an honorable mention. For my money, that's as close as a game will ever get to successfully pulling off being the "next Goldeneye." I spent an absurd amount of hours killing ducks.

• Yooo we had FUN playing Tekken Tag Tournament all night at sleep overs with friends. I don't think I played it until like 2003 though.

• I was also 8.

• I was 6, haha. Def didn't play these games until I was like 8-10.

• alt text

• Global Moderator

So I never actually played the original Timesplitters and I don't remember it getting too much in terms of high praise. I jumped in for Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect and adored those games but can't realistically vote just for the sake of the series.

But yes, THQ, please give me my remaster. Do it!

• I stopped playing Tekken at 3 and have never even tried TTT. Timesplitters however was one of two games that I bought at launch with my PS2, the other being Kessen. I didn't like it much though to be honest. It kept me going for a bit I guess, but the singleplayer aspect felt very lazy to me. It wasn't until Timesplitters 2 that the series showed what it could do.

I was 19 in the year 2000.

• I was only 7 back in 2000 and all I had was a genesis with sonic 2 and some other games I never played more than once, so all my votes are for games I played way after the fact.

Never played either of these games, but I've always heard good things. Did enjoy what little I played of Tekken Tag 2 for whatever that's worth.

• I was 13 in 2000 and if Deus Ex doesn't win this countdown i'm going to quit the internet! :D

TTT is probably Top 3 for Tekken games (besides 3 and 4), never played Timesplitters.