The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• @sabotagethetruth with your love of tactics you'll love the references to that games characters that vagrant story makes.

• @sabotagethetruth Same here, it's always intrigued me.

Is it officially set in Ivalice or simply shares some similarities? Are there story elements or characters from FF XII?

• @axel it is in ivalice and while there are locations mentioned that are in 12 no characters are, however there are references to Tactics Characters.

• Vagrant Story is an interesting entry. I like the look of it, but the combat seems like something I wouldn't vibe with. Because this was an age of a plethora of JRPGs (mid 90s through the life of the sixth generation), I feel like this gets grouped into a set of games that are liked a lot, but are forgotten in the passage of time. Which is a shame because this is one of several I hear from around this time period that people want a remaster or new entry.

• I started playing this game right at the beginning of the voting period of this list, and after playing a couple hours i voted it in just because of the cool presentation of the story (good cutscenes!), the dark vibes, and the combat system that i enjoyed at the time. After playing it more, the combat just turned me off slowly, it's very unique for sure but unfortunately it's not my cup of tea, i just felt that i never got any good at it and i didn't feel the desire to learn it either. Looking back, i wouldn't have voted for this at all if i actually played it more.

It's definitely my mistake for voting too early, but i barely had enough games to vote on, the pressure got to me lol.

• Global Moderator

I really wanted to put Vagrant story on my list, but I havent played it "enough" to justify it over some of my other selections for this list.

• Vagrant Story took a while to grow on me, but when everything clicked it was so satisfying.

The way they decided to make the gameplay and story make sense with one another is still unlike any other RPG and the plot is well written. Also the score is great, and the whole package is so damn unique.

The only unfortunate thing is that some of the good stuff is needlessly hidden. For example, there are at least two “secret “intro cutscenes that explain significant parts of the plot, but you’d never know about them without the internet. The mechanics are fun, but there is no in-game explanation as to how they work, (you literally need a guide to figure them out).

Other than that, it’s my personal favorite RPG of all time, rivaled only by Suikoden 2 and Chrono Trigger.

• Vagrant Story stands as the only JRPG my fiance has ever finished, and loves.
    I don't remember it well, but I do remember playing it when it came out and enjoying it.

• I started it shortly after finishing tactics and really dug the opening cutscenes. Great vibes, cool presentation, and really good music. I just haven't gotten back to it since so I couldn't vote it in. I've heard the gameplay is pretty divisive, so I'm curious to see how I'll feel about the game once I do eventually finish it.

• Spider-Man

#14. Spider-Man - 11 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sentinel Beach)
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Hazz3r, DIPSET)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: August 30 [US], September 15 [EU]
    Developer: Neversoft
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Microsoft Windows, Game Boy Color

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Okay, okay, okay. Let me get this out of the way first. This game doesn't really hold up gameplay wise. The controls are pretty janky. And some missions (I'm looking at you DocOc chase!) will make you rage and wonder how it got past QA.

But OH MY GOD THE PRESENTATION. The money that must have been spent on this game. The game is narrated by Stan Lee, and features a large part of the voice cast from the Spiderman Animated Series, including Rino Romano as Spiderman. Neversoft take advantage of all that and makeit seem like you're staring straight into chapters of a comic-book while you're playing.

I truly believe this game to be Neversoft's best work alongside Pro Skater 2 and THUG. It's also is really eye opening to see how versatile that Pro Skater engine was back in the day. Spider-mans levels were much bigger, and the gameplay was much different.

• The voice acting and many of the specific lines (together with Stan Lee's) in Neversoft's Spider-Man are etched on my mind, I can hear them whenever I please. I really feel like that game was one of my watershed moments in gaming, being 12-13 around that time. (Maybe even in molding me into me in bigger picture.) I was so in love with it, unlocked everything and found all the comics etc. The black Symbiote Suit was definitely my favourite with its unlimited webbing. And that first bank heist level, I've no idea how many times I played it, just toying with the enemies every possible way. Everything was just so damn fine in this game back in the PS1 era, The presentation, like stated above.

• @sentinel-beach Spider-man is to Sentinel Beach as Mega Man Legends is to...?

• Jokes aside, I'm shocked to see such an early super hero game beat out some of those above it. This makes me sorry I missed it as I imagine the ideas probably wouldn't be as impressive playing it for the first time today.

• Yeah, it'd be rough to play it now. Kyle played its sequel just a week or two ago, so that gives you the idea. Though this first one is much better in practically every way. Slicker and smoother, kinda. More memorable environments and villains, boss battles.

• How.... timely. ;-)

It's actually pretty neat to do a side by side comparison between this and the new game and just marvel at how far gaming has come in two decades. It also gets me to think about the future. If this was Spider-Man then, and what we have in Spider-Man now, just imagine what could be possible.

• Interestingly, Spiderman 2 wasn't developed by Neversoft but by Vicarious Visions, who while known for the N-Sane Trilogy now, was mainly contracted for work that accompanies other main titles, like the Console Ports of Jedi Outcast, or the Handheld versions of the Tony Hawk series.

Spiderman 2 is one of their only original console games.

• @hazz3r

I love Spider Man 2 on PS1, but looking at their wikipedia, I kinda despise a lot of their games. When I was a dumb kid, I loved Tony Hawk on console and assumed it would just be the same on GameBoy Advanced and my god were they bad.

Same with the Spyro GBA games. Too dumb to know about studios back then.

• Skies of Arcadia

#13. Skies of Arcadia - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Ringedwithtile, ACardAttack)
    #4: 1 (Hidz)
    HM: 4 (Enzo88, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Tearju Engi, Sheria)

Information

Release date: November 13 [US]
    Developer: Overworks
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Dreamcast, GameCube

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I only ever played a bit of the Gamecube version but I remember it being so cool and I dunno why I never went back to it.