#3: 2 (Hazz3r, DIPSET)
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: August 30 [US], September 15 [EU]
    Developer: Neversoft
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Microsoft Windows, Game Boy Color

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Okay, okay, okay. Let me get this out of the way first. This game doesn't really hold up gameplay wise. The controls are pretty janky. And some missions (I'm looking at you DocOc chase!) will make you rage and wonder how it got past QA.

But OH MY GOD THE PRESENTATION. The money that must have been spent on this game. The game is narrated by Stan Lee, and features a large part of the voice cast from the Spiderman Animated Series, including Rino Romano as Spiderman. Neversoft take advantage of all that and makeit seem like you're staring straight into chapters of a comic-book while you're playing.

I truly believe this game to be Neversoft's best work alongside Pro Skater 2 and THUG. It's also is really eye opening to see how versatile that Pro Skater engine was back in the day. Spider-mans levels were much bigger, and the gameplay was much different.

• The voice acting and many of the specific lines (together with Stan Lee's) in Neversoft's Spider-Man are etched on my mind, I can hear them whenever I please. I really feel like that game was one of my watershed moments in gaming, being 12-13 around that time. (Maybe even in molding me into me in bigger picture.) I was so in love with it, unlocked everything and found all the comics etc. The black Symbiote Suit was definitely my favourite with its unlimited webbing. And that first bank heist level, I've no idea how many times I played it, just toying with the enemies every possible way. Everything was just so damn fine in this game back in the PS1 era, The presentation, like stated above.

• @sentinel-beach Spider-man is to Sentinel Beach as Mega Man Legends is to...?

• Jokes aside, I'm shocked to see such an early super hero game beat out some of those above it. This makes me sorry I missed it as I imagine the ideas probably wouldn't be as impressive playing it for the first time today.

• Yeah, it'd be rough to play it now. Kyle played its sequel just a week or two ago, so that gives you the idea. Though this first one is much better in practically every way. Slicker and smoother, kinda. More memorable environments and villains, boss battles.

• How.... timely. ;-)

It's actually pretty neat to do a side by side comparison between this and the new game and just marvel at how far gaming has come in two decades. It also gets me to think about the future. If this was Spider-Man then, and what we have in Spider-Man now, just imagine what could be possible.

• Interestingly, Spiderman 2 wasn't developed by Neversoft but by Vicarious Visions, who while known for the N-Sane Trilogy now, was mainly contracted for work that accompanies other main titles, like the Console Ports of Jedi Outcast, or the Handheld versions of the Tony Hawk series.

Spiderman 2 is one of their only original console games.

• @hazz3r

I love Spider Man 2 on PS1, but looking at their wikipedia, I kinda despise a lot of their games. When I was a dumb kid, I loved Tony Hawk on console and assumed it would just be the same on GameBoy Advanced and my god were they bad.

Same with the Spyro GBA games. Too dumb to know about studios back then.

• Skies of Arcadia

#13. Skies of Arcadia - 12 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Ringedwithtile, ACardAttack)
    #4: 1 (Hidz)
    HM: 4 (Enzo88, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Tearju Engi, Sheria)

Information

Release date: November 13 [US]
    Developer: Overworks
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Dreamcast, GameCube

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I only ever played a bit of the Gamecube version but I remember it being so cool and I dunno why I never went back to it.

• Skies of Arcadia is one of the very few games I actively want to see remastered and released on modern consoles, because I've never played, much less owned, a Dreamcast (actually, that applies to EVERY Sega console...) and from the descriptions I've been given, the gameplay I've seen, and the praise it's been given (though, that's been a pitfall for me), I really want to give this game a shot. All of that said, by the time I first heard about Skies of Arcadia and it had a Gamecube release, I already lost my Gamecube through... aggravating means, and as a result couldn't take advantage of that.

• Haven't finished this yet, so the jury's still out, but Skies really captures the spirit of breezy adventure in a way that few RPGs outside of Chrono Trigger and select Dragon Quest entries do. The visual design is excellent, the pacing is fantastic, the combat is simple and gratifying, there's engaging side activities and collectables, and the characters are plucky and work off one another really well. It's a real triumph of tone---that sort of lyrical optimism quality JRPGs are able to achieve. This is one that I feel could be higher if it was a better known and distributed game.

• I beat Vagrant Story not that long ago, i wasn't impressed, feels like it had a lot of potential, but combat and inventory was clunky (mostly switching weapons) and the story, was really back heavy and even still it didnt make a whole lot of sense. Also didn't like that it was a dungeon crawler, I didn't know that going into it.

• Really hope we get a Skies of Arcadia port, I would love to replay it, but the encounter rate is too damn high, I do have found memories of my dreamcast sounding like it was going to die a moment before a random encounter happened

• I actually only played the Gamecube version and only within the past five years. I enjoyed the game but feel like I would have been way more impressed had I played it when it was new. That was the really interesting thing with this list, I had a hard time deciding between how much I enjoyed games at that time versus how much I enjoy them now or would enjoy them if I played them for the first time now. To me, this ads so much to these retro lists so I really hope we can keep these up.

• Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

#12. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - 13 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (FerrisK96, Bigdude1, Chocobop)
    HM: 3 (Sentinel Beach, Inustar, jipostus)

Information

Release date: October 23 [US], October 27 [EU]
    Developer: Westwood Pacific
    Publisher: EA Games
    Genre: Real-time strategy
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Once again, not a strategy player, so I cannot comment on this entry specifically.

However.

Seeing the name "Command & Conquer" now-a-days illicits anger from me on behalf of all fans of the franchise after what EA pulled this year. And this is an excellent microcosm that people cared about the franchise placing in the top half of this list.

Why EA. Why.

• Warning! Millitary Software Detected! Top Secret Clearence Required!

• Global Moderator

I was soo tempted to put Red Alert 2 on there. Still think the first game is far superior though (Nostalgia, I know).
    Its just that this year was sooo crammed with good games, it had to take a backfoot.