The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• Skies of Arcadia is one of the very few games I actively want to see remastered and released on modern consoles, because I've never played, much less owned, a Dreamcast (actually, that applies to EVERY Sega console...) and from the descriptions I've been given, the gameplay I've seen, and the praise it's been given (though, that's been a pitfall for me), I really want to give this game a shot. All of that said, by the time I first heard about Skies of Arcadia and it had a Gamecube release, I already lost my Gamecube through... aggravating means, and as a result couldn't take advantage of that.

• Haven't finished this yet, so the jury's still out, but Skies really captures the spirit of breezy adventure in a way that few RPGs outside of Chrono Trigger and select Dragon Quest entries do. The visual design is excellent, the pacing is fantastic, the combat is simple and gratifying, there's engaging side activities and collectables, and the characters are plucky and work off one another really well. It's a real triumph of tone---that sort of lyrical optimism quality JRPGs are able to achieve. This is one that I feel could be higher if it was a better known and distributed game.

• I beat Vagrant Story not that long ago, i wasn't impressed, feels like it had a lot of potential, but combat and inventory was clunky (mostly switching weapons) and the story, was really back heavy and even still it didnt make a whole lot of sense. Also didn't like that it was a dungeon crawler, I didn't know that going into it.

• Really hope we get a Skies of Arcadia port, I would love to replay it, but the encounter rate is too damn high, I do have found memories of my dreamcast sounding like it was going to die a moment before a random encounter happened

• I actually only played the Gamecube version and only within the past five years. I enjoyed the game but feel like I would have been way more impressed had I played it when it was new. That was the really interesting thing with this list, I had a hard time deciding between how much I enjoyed games at that time versus how much I enjoy them now or would enjoy them if I played them for the first time now. To me, this ads so much to these retro lists so I really hope we can keep these up.

• Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

#12. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - 13 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 0
    #4: 3 (FerrisK96, Bigdude1, Chocobop)
    HM: 3 (Sentinel Beach, Inustar, jipostus)

Information

Release date: October 23 [US], October 27 [EU]
    Developer: Westwood Pacific
    Publisher: EA Games
    Genre: Real-time strategy
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Once again, not a strategy player, so I cannot comment on this entry specifically.

However.

Seeing the name "Command & Conquer" now-a-days illicits anger from me on behalf of all fans of the franchise after what EA pulled this year. And this is an excellent microcosm that people cared about the franchise placing in the top half of this list.

Why EA. Why.

• Warning! Millitary Software Detected! Top Secret Clearence Required!

• Global Moderator

I was soo tempted to put Red Alert 2 on there. Still think the first game is far superior though (Nostalgia, I know).
    Its just that this year was sooo crammed with good games, it had to take a backfoot.

• Spyro: Year of the Dragon

#11. Spyro: Year of the Dragon - 17 points

Votes

#1: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #2: 0
    #3: 2 (Sentinel Beach, Brannox)
    #4: 1 (Hazz3r)
    HM: 4 (DIPSET, FF7Cloud, A7X458, parasitepaladin)

Information

Release date: October 24 [US], November 10 [EU]
    Developer: Insomniac Games
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Platformer
    Platform(s): PlayStation

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• The first from my list! Spyro 3 is alright, though of the three true Spyros (that's right. I said it.), it's my least favorite. The dragon egg hook is interesting, and I appreciate the introduction of different playable characters, but, for me, I feel the latter takes away from Spyro. Also, I really liked being able to go to a different set of Realms, but the worlds themselves were... lacking. There are a couple of neat ones, like the Icy Peak and Dino Mines, but the home worlds were the best places to run around.

While this may sound more negative than it is, I actually do like this game. Love the skateboarding, again getting the eggs were satisfying (except some of the side areas aren't), and getting access to the Sorceress' treasure world was nice.

I said earlier 2000 wasn't really my year, and as such I only sent in five nominees (I didn't play my Honorable Mention, but I couldn't NOT nominate it. It should place top three at least if not outright wins ;-) ). My top two I'm confident in placing, this and my number four I'm not/wasn't.

Massive shoutouts to @DIPSET, @FF7Cloud, @A7X458, @parasitepaladin, @Hazz3r, @Sentinel-Beach, and @NeoCweeny for putting it on your respective lists!

• Global Moderator

Spyro are a great game! we are now entering top 10 and none of my entires have showed up. either this mean that I voted like most people, or that I was completely "wrong" and noone agreed with me! :D

• Seems like my number 1 and 2 got added.

NOLF is one of my favorite shooters ever. It's a single player FPS with a good length and large amount of variety in its gameplay and environments.

Spyro 3 is probably my favorite 3D platformer. if not, it's Spyro 1. So people might complain about the overabundance of minigames in Spyro 3 but I actually quite like them here. I can't wait to for the remakes.

Vagrant Story, Skies of Arcadia and Red Alert 2 are games I still really want to play at some point...

• Nice, Spyro on eight people's list. Such great memories of that one (too), I got it for Christmas in 2000. Can't wait for November to return to Spyro's world. :)

• @lotias same. None of my pics showed up yet either.

• @brannox

If this was 2001, and we were talking about Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage, then Spyro would have made my number 1 spot. I love the trilogy but I couldn't put it on this list for THIS specific year.

• @dipset Spyro 2 came in 1999, but for your broader point, I can't say for sure because I don't want to look at the full list of the year (unless there is a thread for it of course), and I can't postulate a game being the best without knowing the rest of that year.

But Spryo 2 is better than Spyro 3 to me, so who knows? Maybe.

• It's Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer, you silly people.

• @sentinel-beach Nay! The silliness good sir is that there wasn't a uniform subtitle, regardless of what it is.

• Time to make a prediction:

1. Final Fantasy IX
    2. Deus Ex
    3. The Legened of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    4. Diablo II
    5. Pokémon: Gold & Silver
    6. Shenmue
    7. Baldur's Gate II
    8. Perfect Dark
    9. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    10. The Sims