The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• Aaw man I completely forgot about Perfect Dark, I feel bad that I didn't put it on my list.

It still remains as one of my favorite FPS titles and I'm glad it made it to top 10!

• Perfect Dark would have been my 5th HM.
    Personally prefer it to GoldenEye.

• Question about the Spyro games, are they good? I was a little too old for them when I had my ps1 so I have no nostalgia for them

Anyone gone back and played them recently for the first time?

• @acardattack Really solid platformers. Moving around the game world as Spyro feels SO good. Memorable characters, boss fights, and game worlds.

They are a tiny little repetitive in nature sometimes, but often that can't be helped. And that is balanced most of the time with unique minigames and challenges, especially in Gateway to Glimmer and Year of the Dragon.

I played through those games, especially 1, many many times, because they are very good.

• Perfect Dark, the last FPS I really got into. Not to say I don't still play them but this one was every day for a very long time. I always liked to get outside during summer vacation but this is the one game that kept me locked inside for days. The same 2 friends would call every morning and the conversation would be:
    "Hey".
    "Hey".
    "PD?"
    "Yup"
    (click)
    They'd show up, we'd indulge in Vancouver's favourite pastime and then PD until going out at night. Only break for cheez-whiz toast, kool-aid or to run to the park to quickly hit the pipe then run back for more PD. I can't say whether I prefer this or goldeneye but fortunately, they were released separate years so I don't have to decide today.
    This would have been my number 1 up to maybe 5 years ago but I feel it's aged slightly worse than my #1 and I'm slightly more hesitant to go back to it with the often brutal slowdown. Still love it though, one of the defining games of my youth.

• There was a loooong list of games released in 2000 in the voting thread to make sure nobody would forget any games this time, I'm sad :(

• On Perfect Dark, I'm little surprised as well it's place being a little lower than I thought it would be, but as always, can never fully predict how these threads will play out! While I never owned an N64, this is one of those quintessential titles from the console that should be on the shortlist of an N64 Classic (if licensing and ownership rights weren't in the way).

@ACardAttack I believe so, but it all depends on the person. For me, the first game shows its age after playing the others because it doesn't have gameplay features (like hovering), but I enjoy chasing the thieves and releasing the dragons. The second introduces nice side objectives (which practically are not at all in the first) and a little bit more story whereas the third really leans into the whole world narrative and a refocus on dragon eggs. They play alright for what they are though.

@Axel Why are you sad? People forget prominent games or an entry not getting enough love?

• the great thing about perfect dark/goldeneye was its objective based gameplay. too often now games are just mowing through corridors or mazes. even games with "objectives" are still put in a linear order with everything given a objective marker to lead you by the nose.

whenever people say these two games aged badly i cant help but shake my head

• @neocweeny

I agree with the FF IX, Deus Ex, and Diablo II being in the top ten, but I would legitimately be surprised if anything below Pokemon beats Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

For all I hear about Banjo-Kazooie, from adulation of the original, requests for them to be in Smash Ultimate, or a rerelease/remaster of said original to be on current gen hardware, I hardly EVER hear anything about Banjo-Tooie.

To sate my curiosity, I want to ask: How similar/different is it from the original

BT is a direct sequel to BK. The gameplay/vibe is exactly the same, but everything's been increased. More moves, more characters, better graphics, MUCH bigger worlds.

But it's that last point that was the game's detriment - it's TOO big. Huge empty spaces that make it hard to get around, and complex shortcuts/backtracking/worlds-within-worlds that pretty much demand a strategy guide. All this while maintaining only 10 Jiggies per world. It basically turned Banjo from a platformer into an adventure game, and lost its playfulness in the process.

• @oscillator Thanks for the breakdown! I can see how that could be a bit frustrating, but I also understand what they were going for by that description.

• The Sims

#9. The Sims - 19 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Capnbobamous, bam541)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (bard91, DIPSET)
    HM: 5 (Hazz3r, TokyoSlim, Crepe, FerrisK96, ACardAttack)

Information

Release date: January 31 [US], February 11 [EU]
    Developer: Maxis
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Life simulation
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Aww come on. The Sims is one of the greatest games ever made. It had a massive impact at the time of it's release, and it still holds up magnificently today.

Very few games have such a raw sense of humor without being outright comedies, yet the Sims somehow executes that masterfully. It's somehow quirky without over-staying its welcome, and it has a tone that future Sims games have been unable to replicate.

It should also get special points for its soundtrack. I can't imagine building a house listening to anything different.

• I'm gonna counter that point about banjo tooie. Tooie is definitely more intricate, but I think the game's complexity keeps the worlds from feeling empty. The warping and inter-connectivity aren't complicated enough to demand a guide. Exploring and figuring things out is enough to get you through that game. The game feel like a more metroidvania take on a 3D platformer.

• The Sims has never really appealed to me, as the management mechanic, or the entire genre as a whole rather, requires a little too much micromanagement for my tastes. I do love the cheats you can put in though and really get wacky with it. That said, they just don't grab and maintain interest/attention long enough to feel personally satisfying.

• The first game from my list. Cheers to The Sims

• I can't get behind The Sims. It's fun to dump tons of cash in your lap with a "rosebud" or ten and then build the ultimate house but then after that I'll just watch my little dudes run around it for half an hour and get bored. Also I remember making my own family in it as a small child (I'm talking like 7 at the oldest) and when half of us died in a fire it messed me up pretty bad for a few days.

• I only played The Sims for a couple hours back in the day and didn't like a single thing about it. I was just controlling this one guy and couldn't even manage to keep all his "needs" satisfied, couldn't find enough time in a day for him to poop, eat and sleep enough, let alone go to work.

My memories are definitely hazy and I was probably playing it wrong, but I quickly uninstalled it and never looked back. I'm sure there's fun to be had with this series but it's not for me.

• My first Sims game was actually Sims 2 on PS2, had lots of friends who loved it so i grew up in the perfect environment in order to enjoy the series. Making a copy of myself in-game and managing said Sim successfully was always a fun thing for me to do, and of course doing crazy things and messing around with the sims you create is another fun way to play it.

I played this for the first time 2 years ago, and despite being used to The Sims 3 and all it's improvements (didn't like Sims 4 so i came back to Sims 3), i still enjoyed this game. It's pretty amazing to me that i didn't find too much to complain about, despite it's old age. I think it holds up quite well. I still play it whenever i boot up my old first gen Asus Eee PC.

• Global Moderator

I have never played super much of Sims. Always had friends that are into the series though, so I've given it a few swings. I think the most fun was to close in a family in a room, let them starve and sell the gravestones for profit (yes I am a stable person, dont worry).

I think to me its just not enough "action" in a Sims game to keep me interested for longer periods of time. I mean it can be fun to build up a house and make it look all fancy, but then it gets a bit like just wait and micromanage.