The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• I can't get behind The Sims. It's fun to dump tons of cash in your lap with a "rosebud" or ten and then build the ultimate house but then after that I'll just watch my little dudes run around it for half an hour and get bored. Also I remember making my own family in it as a small child (I'm talking like 7 at the oldest) and when half of us died in a fire it messed me up pretty bad for a few days.

• I only played The Sims for a couple hours back in the day and didn't like a single thing about it. I was just controlling this one guy and couldn't even manage to keep all his "needs" satisfied, couldn't find enough time in a day for him to poop, eat and sleep enough, let alone go to work.

My memories are definitely hazy and I was probably playing it wrong, but I quickly uninstalled it and never looked back. I'm sure there's fun to be had with this series but it's not for me.

• My first Sims game was actually Sims 2 on PS2, had lots of friends who loved it so i grew up in the perfect environment in order to enjoy the series. Making a copy of myself in-game and managing said Sim successfully was always a fun thing for me to do, and of course doing crazy things and messing around with the sims you create is another fun way to play it.

I played this for the first time 2 years ago, and despite being used to The Sims 3 and all it's improvements (didn't like Sims 4 so i came back to Sims 3), i still enjoyed this game. It's pretty amazing to me that i didn't find too much to complain about, despite it's old age. I think it holds up quite well. I still play it whenever i boot up my old first gen Asus Eee PC.

• Global Moderator

I have never played super much of Sims. Always had friends that are into the series though, so I've given it a few swings. I think the most fun was to close in a family in a room, let them starve and sell the gravestones for profit (yes I am a stable person, dont worry).

I think to me its just not enough "action" in a Sims game to keep me interested for longer periods of time. I mean it can be fun to build up a house and make it look all fancy, but then it gets a bit like just wait and micromanage.

• The Sims: Deluxe Edition is one of the most jam packed games I’ve ever bought. As a kid, this game was mind blowing.

The building aspect was great, but depending on your personality, you can use your imagination to role play with the characters and really just laugh a lot while playing with friends surrounding the PC. Endless fun back in the day. Still the best Sims imo.

Perfect Dark would have been an HM if we were allowed 5 HM’s. The game still holds up today, the graphics are still quite good. It is a lot better than GoldenEye which seems to get more praise but Perfect Dark is far superior, especially today.

• @capnbobamous said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Aww come on. The Sims is one of the greatest games ever made. It had a massive impact at the time of it's release, and it still holds up magnificently today.

Very few games have such a raw sense of humor without being outright comedies, yet the Sims somehow executes that masterfully. It's somehow quirky without over-staying its welcome, and it has a tone that future Sims games have been unable to replicate.

It should also get special points for its soundtrack. I can't imagine building a house listening to anything different.

I agree with all you said, thats why it got an HM, but too many great games that came out that year

• @acardattack yeah I guess that's fair. I'm not a huge fan of old-school JRPGs or 3D platformers, so I guess that narrowed things down for me.

• @capnbobamous

That would limit it, of the 8 games I nominated 5 were jrpgs, one was a wrpg, then shenmue which is almost a jrpg, but wouldn't consider it one, more an adventure game, and that just leaves the sims

• @axel As the sole person to put Perfect Dark as their number 1, I feel the need to extol its virtues. Or maybe instead of proselytizing the game, I feel I should at least take the biggest initiative with regards to providing warmth and comfort for everyone who has posted comments of appreciation for Perfect Dark. For those who don't understand the situation, it is like this: Goldeneye has so overwhelmingly overshadowed Perfect Dark in both popularity and remembrance that fans of PD are somewhat of a minority subgroup who often feel a kinship and a need to band together. (Calling out @E_Zed_Eh_Intern @Oscillator @NeoCweeny @Hidz @Inustar @Bigdude1 @Ringedwithtile @DIPSET and anyone else!) Luckily, someone else on the internet has already created a 44 minute loving thesis for Perfect Dark, which I will present below and hope other fans find to be suiting tribute:

Giving Perfect Dark the Recognition it Deserves
    Youtube Video

I've watched this video 3 or so times now, so... consider checking it out even if it is just the first 16 minutes!

Finally, I don't know if @Brandon Jones checks in on the forums that often, but I can at least tag him now and hope one day it might rise to his attention.

• Jet Set Radio

#8. Jet Set Radio - 21 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Hanabi, Ringedwithtile)
    #2: 2 (TokyoSlim, FerrisK96)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Enzo88, Hidz, CptCobblePot)

Information

Release date: October 30 [US], November 24 [EU]
    Developer: Smilebit
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Platform, Action, Sports
    Platform(s): Dreamcast

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• This game's controls aren't perfect it's just so satisfying to tag up Tokyo-to while one of the best soundtracks by the best video game composer plays. I love the street culture style this game has and I'm a sucker for more arcadey games so the time attack way levels play out where you have to be mindful of the best tagging routes and Onishima at the same time just really appeals to me. I think everything I love about Sega can be distilled by this game and its characters; they're rough around the edges but those punks have a heart of gold.

• I still listen to http://jetsetradio.live/

• And another surprise in terms of place! I was expecting this to be in the top 5, but I can only guess that not as many played it because of the console it called home. Still, I find Jet Set Radio to be an intriguing concept and it's a franchise I feel like has some potential.

• The last 7 are gonna be really tight. If they are what I think they are, then they are all phenomenal in their own right.

• I expect my top three to rank. Parasite Eve 2 has passed sadly I feel, but if Thief 2 doesn't rank, that's extremely sad.

• I tried this game not too long ago (about 2-3 months ago), and i absolutely despise the controls. I just can't stomach more than 3 hours of playtime, it feels too stiff and cumbersome for me personally. Which is a shame, because i love how the game looks and feels, the vibes are psychedelically lovely, and the soundtrack is pretty good too.

• Love the dreamcast love!

• I did not expect Jet Set Radio or Perfect Dark at all. Not because they aren't great, but more so because Dreamcast and the N64 expansion pak (sic) were not super popular.

Or, at least I didn't think they were that popular.

• Diablo II

#7. Diablo II - 25 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sazime)
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 3 (Axel, Lotias, Sunpraiser)
    #4: 0
    HM: 7 (bard91, TokyoSlim, Crepe, Hidz, bam541, jipostus, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: June 29 [US], June 30 [EU]
    Developer: Blizzard North
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: Action role-playing, Hack and slash
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia