The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• I tried this game not too long ago (about 2-3 months ago), and i absolutely despise the controls. I just can't stomach more than 3 hours of playtime, it feels too stiff and cumbersome for me personally. Which is a shame, because i love how the game looks and feels, the vibes are psychedelically lovely, and the soundtrack is pretty good too.

• Love the dreamcast love!

• I did not expect Jet Set Radio or Perfect Dark at all. Not because they aren't great, but more so because Dreamcast and the N64 expansion pak (sic) were not super popular.

Or, at least I didn't think they were that popular.

• Diablo II

#7. Diablo II - 25 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Sazime)
    #2: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #3: 3 (Axel, Lotias, Sunpraiser)
    #4: 0
    HM: 7 (bard91, TokyoSlim, Crepe, Hidz, bam541, jipostus, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: June 29 [US], June 30 [EU]
    Developer: Blizzard North
    Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
    Genre: Action role-playing, Hack and slash
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• And one of what I consider the five most "main-stream known" games has made its appearance! Diablo II, from what I've seen, is lauded as the preferred entry in the series. Because I don't game on PC, I've never played this, and while the click and loot loop is just a little simple for my tastes, I like the setting well enough to overlook that.

But most importantly!.......

Moo.

• Yeeeeeaaaaah! I played so much Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. I miss the variety of the skill tree in 2, but 3 has been a blast for all of the hundreds of hours I've played it.

• One of the computers in the very back corner of my middle school computer room had Diablo II installed for some reason, and that was my first encounter with this game. The thick and brooding atmosphere is what i remember the most about it. The dated graphics helped the creepy atmosphere, in a way. Even the UI and menu design kinda creeps me out a bit. I haven't played much of it (maybe 5 hours total?), so I can't vote it too high.

• Global Moderator

There comes my first Entry! Really enjoyed this game and got many fun memories from this. It has a good balance between action and adventure. I still havent touched the third entry, but Im not sure I really want to.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Thief 2

Yeah probably will, I didnt vote for it

I had trouble playing it, the levels were horribly lighted/too dark on my computer..perhaps now that I have a gaming PC it would be worth checking out again

• Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

#6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - 28 points

Votes

#1: 1 (DIPSET)
    #2: 2 (Hazz3r, Bigdude1)
    #3: 3 (Exist 2 Inspire, bam541, A7X458)
    HM: 6 (Lotias, Crepe, naltmank, Ringedwithtile, tokeeffe9, CptCobblePot)

Information

Release date: September 20 [US], September 29 [EU]
    Developer: Neversoft
    Publisher: Activision
    Genre: Extreme sports
    Platform(s): PlayStation, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I've only played 3 and THUG2 personally but I feel like this game would easily make my list if I gave it a go based solely on how much I love those two.

• A life changing series. I skate to this day, I went to university for media production because I was inspired by skate videos (Yeah Right!, Mouse, Fully Flared, BAKER 3, list goes on), I listen to punk, metal, hip hop, and uhhhh I play great video games. THPS2 is one of the best games ever made in my opinion. The series kept getting better ranging from THPS on PS1 all the way to Tony Hawk's American Wasteland at the bitter end of the PS2 cycle.

This series has an untouchable flow and combo system and the foundation was laid in this game. I have to give it credit for a lot of great gameplay decisions, but one underappreciated thing is that when you press the START button, the menu appears fast. In a game about action and reaction, being able to jump into the menu and restart is such an important thing that sports games and arcade games still don't get right today. Those little details were more important when individual challenges were introduced in THPS4, but there was a lot of just sheer clean functionality in the THPS series.

Neversoft are underrated. I miss them, but if they were around today they would probably be making Call of Duty which I don't exactly care for.

This soundtrack >>

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Haven't had time to comment about Diablo II until now.

It's one of my favourite games of all time so the fact it only made third place on my list goes to show how packed that year was for me!

I fell in love with the gloomy, depressing, gothic atmosphere of the first game when I first played it on... PlayStation, then when I got my first PC I finally played it properly and finished it.

It was also the first game I ever played online with a friend and it felt like dark magic, I distinctly remember my mom looking bewildered when I told her that other character on the screen was controlled by my buddy, from his own house!

And then came Diablo II, and it was such an improvement over the first game, more character classes, a much bigger world, an actual journey, some of the best cinematic cutscenes ever made, a haunting soundtrack, and a continuation of the first game's tale in the darkest way imaginable.

For those who don't know:

The protagonist of the first game becomes possessed by Diablo and eventually turns into him despite struggling for weeks on end, and you are following his tracks throughout the entire game, learning of his evil deeds as you go.

My necromancer character will always remain one of my dearest game protagonists, even though I probably botched his build compared to what min-maxers can do. But he was MY necromancer, with his own flawed stats, his own gear I acquired over dozens of hours, his own accomplishments.

The gameplay is extremely satisfying and challenging, the procedurally-generated world is a delight to explore, a world of constant threat and unhappy endings.

Diablo III never managed to recapture that magic for me, the story was unimaginative and way too fan-servicey, the locations uninspired, and the art style lacked the dirtiness of the first two games. I'm very excited for the inevitable Diablo IV, hoping that Blizzard will realize what they missed and give us a new harrowing tale to get lost into. Blizzcon, make it happen!

• And the second of what I feel like are the "main-stream known" games has been revealed! I have memories of owning a Tony Hawk game and having a moderate amount of fun with it, but I did NOT vote for THPS 2 because I can't remember WHICH Tony Hawk's game it was. Regardless, a good series at the beginning of the decade before crashing and burning in one of the most bizarre trash fires I've seen in recent years.

And as I said in the Playstation Classic thread: This really needs to be one of the 15 unknown games, regardless of licensing.

• Played a lot of THPS2, it came out at when I didnt play games for story, mostly because I had more time and because I was in 8th grade

Looking back at my list The Sims is the only one I played in the year (or around the time in general) it came out, the next one I played probably wasnt until 2005 or so with Skies of Arcadia

Id be curious how many people played their votes around or when it came out

• I only played these games with friends but never cared to buy a copy myself. Looking back, it's weird how popular these games were, even by people who don't care about skating.

@acardattack said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Id be curious how many people played their votes around or when it came out

Only Spyro 3 for me.
    I also voted for Pokémon Gold which I played when it came out in Europe in 2001.
    The other games on my list I played around the mid to late 00s except for Persona 2 which was only 2-3 years ago.

• Global Moderator

THPS 2 are a great game, that said, it is still a bit rough and I prefer the underground series. But the music and the hours of fun I got with it, made it a HM in my list.

• Man, the old Tony Hawk games are so good. THUG 2 is my first entry in the series, and i absolutely loved it, like many others it got me into the world of skateboarding and despite my lack of athleticism, i enjoyed my time as a child trying to actually skate. The games themselves were just ridiculously fun, defying the laws of physics has never been so cool when you're up there doing 900 flips and grinding your way all the way through the levels. I played THPS 2 a couple years ago, and i expected to encounter some jank but it's pretty amazing that it still holds up very well despite the later games adding bits of improvements here and there. Just goes to show how strong the core formula of the Tony Hawk games are.

• Also, want to praise THPS for being, ya know, FUN. Sports games these days are waaaaaay too serious and I appreciated that they went for gameplay first and settled with an arcade style game.

THPS, Burnout, Blitz, NHL Hitz, NBA Street, I can go for any of these to come back.

• Pokémon Gold and Silver

#5. Pokémon Gold and Silver - 32 points

Votes

#1: 4 (SabotageTheTruth, naltmank, Bigdude1, tokeeffe9)
    #2: 2 (Brannox, Lotias)
    #3: 1 (Hanabi)
    HM: 1 (NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: October 15 [US]
    Developer: Game Freak
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): Game Boy Color

Links

Trailer