The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• Timesplitters was so close for me as an honorable mention. For my money, that's as close as a game will ever get to successfully pulling off being the "next Goldeneye." I spent an absurd amount of hours killing ducks.

• Yooo we had FUN playing Tekken Tag Tournament all night at sleep overs with friends. I don't think I played it until like 2003 though.

• I was also 8.

• I was 6, haha. Def didn't play these games until I was like 8-10.

• alt text

• Global Moderator

So I never actually played the original Timesplitters and I don't remember it getting too much in terms of high praise. I jumped in for Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect and adored those games but can't realistically vote just for the sake of the series.

But yes, THQ, please give me my remaster. Do it!

• I stopped playing Tekken at 3 and have never even tried TTT. Timesplitters however was one of two games that I bought at launch with my PS2, the other being Kessen. I didn't like it much though to be honest. It kept me going for a bit I guess, but the singleplayer aspect felt very lazy to me. It wasn't until Timesplitters 2 that the series showed what it could do.

I was 19 in the year 2000.

• I was only 7 back in 2000 and all I had was a genesis with sonic 2 and some other games I never played more than once, so all my votes are for games I played way after the fact.

Never played either of these games, but I've always heard good things. Did enjoy what little I played of Tekken Tag 2 for whatever that's worth.

• I was 13 in 2000 and if Deus Ex doesn't win this countdown i'm going to quit the internet! :D

TTT is probably Top 3 for Tekken games (besides 3 and 4), never played Timesplitters.

• Dino Crisis 2

#23. Dino Crisis 2 - 8 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    HM: 1 (Enzo88)

Information

Release date: September 29 [US], November 24 [EU]
    Developer: Capcom
    Publisher: Capcom
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Ahhhh, Dino Crisis. I think I'm being/have been swayed by Huber, but I feel like this series is due to comeback (like many other games out there). Sadly, I don't see it happening.

• Surprised I missed this. I checked my forum backlog last week. Must've thought it was about 2017/2018 GOTY at a glance.

Here are my picks, FWIW (3 of which are in my top 5 games of all time):

1. Perfect Dark
    2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    4. Pokémon Gold & Silver

Honorable mentions:

Paper Mario
    Banjo-Tooie
    Mario Party 2
    Pokémon Stadium

These are actually the only 8 I liked enough to mention, but if this had been about 1999...wowza!

• @oscillator We have the same number 2 game of all time!! Perfect Dark is Forever! ;) And while I think I'm not supposed to reveal my votes, had you voted in this poll in time we would have had further overlap at the top of our lists. (o^-')b

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Ahhhh, Dino Crisis. I think I'm being/have been swayed by Huber, but I feel like this series is due to comeback (like many other games out there).

Agreed and took the words right out of my mouth! The Huber effect is real.

Sadly, I don't see it happening.

Sorry, those aren't words the Huber I know would say! :)

• @chocobop Until that magician can will it into existence like he's done with Shenmue, RE 2 Remake, Onimusha, and a host of others, I still don't see it.

• Mario Party 2

#22. Mario Party 2 - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (bard91)
    #4: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    HM: 4 (Hanabi, DIPSET, FF7Cloud, Hidz)

Information

Release date: January 24 [US], October 13 [EU]
    Developer: Hudson Soft
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Party
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Isn't Mario Party 2 considered to be the best one in the series? Regardless, of the entries debuted so far, this is the first I probably would play. Granted, I'm not really a Mario Party person, but this a game that doesn't really take much in terms of time investment (if you're not careful at least).

• I dunno if it's considered one of the best generally, but of the few I've personally played and even the ones I've just seen other people play it's the best by a country mile.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

@chocobop Until that magician can will it into existence like he's done with Shenmue, RE 2 Remake, Onimusha, and a host of others, I still don't see it.

I'm talking about the forest, you are talking about the trees. The response to this I would like to make --- the philosophy I'm trying to get across --- is simple: just find a way --- any way -- to keep believing. It us, the fans, obligation to keep the candles lit. As long as we do so we can always light more candles when others burn out. But if the last candle is extinguished, it is all over.

I'm going to digress on this topic because it feels dear to me.

It feels like every other EZA podcast one of the allies will express a long shot desire for a game, but then almost immediately they pause and there's that visible and audible regret when that low probability actually kicks into their mind. What usually happens next? Another ally will jump in to say something along the lines of "It's always okay to dream." or "It's never wrong to believe it can happen".

Recall or rewatch EZA's coverage of E3 2018 and you can easily see a microcosm of this philosophy playing out even more prominently and frequently. Remember how many times during E3 an ally on stream had a wish, and even if it was crazy they'd get unanimous support from the others that, yes, you can have that wish. You have that permission! "It's E3 baby!", "Make it happen ___", or "It's going to happen, let's go!".

Below are a couple Huber videos that may help people refresh this philosophy that I like to describe as keeping the candles lit:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

That second video (pre-E3 2017 community wishes) is really worth rewatching in full. Timesplitters. Onimusha remake. Streets of Rage 4. New Metroid hopes constantly throughout the video --- WHEN THERE WAS NO HINT, NO RUMROR. NO NEWS OF MORE METROID.

If you have a dream, keep believing! If it's too hard to believe with all your might, then find another way -- any way. Find that small rock of hope and cling to it with as much hope as you can spare.