The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• Gen II Viridian Forest will forever amuse me.

Viridian Forest Gen II Map

• Ummm I honestly thought the only Pokemon game this year was stadium. Glaring omission on my end. This is an all time favourite for me.

• Gold and Silver are hands down the best in the series. the addition of eggs, time of day, 2 regions, over 100 new Pokemon, events based on days of the week. After i finished the lengthy game i still just kept playing for hours. there was just so much to find and the story was gripping for a Pokemon game.

• @acardattack said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Id be curious how many people played their votes around or when it came out

7 out of my 8 I bought launch day, the only one I didn't was Chrono Cross as it never released here in the UK. I imported it around 2004 I think.

• Shenmue

#4. Shenmue - 34 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Inustar)
    #2: 5 (Hanabi, Enzo88, SunPraiser, Hidz, Tearju Engi)
    #3: 2 (FerrisK96, Sheria)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Capnbobamous, ACardAttack, parasitepaladin)

Information

Release date: November 8 [US], December 1 [EU]
    Developer: Sega AM2
    Publisher: Sega
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Dreamcast

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• For anybody that's on the fence about getting the HD collection, I just wanna say I didn't play this until 2015 when III was announced and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. You just gotta make sure you're in the right mindset for this game. If you aren't prepared to drink a soda, feed a cat, try to get a cool sonic capsule toy and play some Space Harrier while waiting for Heartbeats to open late at night then you might find it a frustrating experience. That all said, the easy highlight of this game was the forklift races. Never thought going to work would be so fun.

• I'm currently playing through Shenmue, it would've probably been an HM if I played it before sending my list.

• I cannot put into words how happy I am that Shenmue not only made the list, but is this high up!

Awesome!

• @hanabi said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

For anybody that's on the fence about getting the HD collection, I just wanna say I didn't play this until 2015 when III was announced and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. You just gotta make sure you're in the right mindset for this game. If you aren't prepared to drink a soda, feed a cat, try to get a cool sonic capsule toy and play some Space Harrier while waiting for Heartbeats to open late at night then you might find it a frustrating experience. That all said, the easy highlight of this game was the forklift races. Never thought going to work would be so fun.

You nailed it

I played it in 2010 for the first time and loved it. Its an adventure game with some good fighting sections. Its a slow burn, but there is nothing wrong with that, but yes you gotta be in the mood for it

This is not Yakuza

Looks like all but one of my votes will make it...I mean I guess Grandia 2 could still make it, but I would be shocked if both FFIX and Deus Ex were not two of the top 3

• I tried playing it for the first time recently with the re-released HD versions but damn the controls just drive me nuts. I guess my modern gaming sensibilities stand in the way, i just can't play this game for more than a few minutes before getting annoyed with the camera and overall controls. Shame because the setting and narrative seem really interesting, ah well i guess i have to go with a Let's Play for that!^^

• The HD version was my first time playing this game, and i think this game is pretty damn awesome. I really admire how hard the devs tried to make the world of the game so realistic and immersive, as far as sacrificing it's accessibility by introducing real world limitations. For most of my playthrough i was trying my best to act as an actual citizen in the game world (not running around everytime when there's no real urgency, closing Ryo's room door and turning off the lights everytime i leave, etc) just because of how real everything feels. That aspect alone makes this game one of the most unique, refreshing and awe-inspiring game i've played during this generation.

Now, let's talk about other aspects of the game:

• I also enjoy the combat, it's combo-based but still quite simple, and giving some of the moves a chance to one-hit enemies is pretty satisfying. I really like how you learn the moves too, not following button prompts but rather listening to what your mentor/teacher is saying.
    • Despite the dated and cheesy dialogs and voice acting, i think it's quite charming, in way. I'm still quite invested in the story, despite that.
    • The soundtrack is great too, as a whole. It nails the impact of the emotional scenes, and the repeating themes are catchy.
    • Forklift sections are surprisingly fun, i could do with less races but it's no biggie.

I really, really, really regret being reckless with my picks this time around and didn't vote this because i forgot this list uses the Western release dates. Would have been my number 1, easily. I'm very happy that it placed this high, nonetheless.

• @exist-2-inspire said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

I tried playing it for the first time recently with the re-released HD versions but damn the controls just drive me nuts. I guess my modern gaming sensibilities stand in the way, i just can't play this game for more than a few minutes before getting annoyed with the camera and overall controls. Shame because the setting and narrative seem really interesting, ah well i guess i have to go with a Let's Play for that!^^

There should be updated controls, I would assume they are on by default, but might be worth double checking

• @acardattack Are you sure? I didn't find a way to change the controls.

• A very timely entry (relatively speaking) and one I knew would place high. I'm not particularly interested in Shenmue as a series and the most enjoyment I've gotten out of it is seeing the famous reaction to III. That said, I enjoyed the above posts about why it deserves to be in the top five.

For the final three, my predictions are:

3.) Deus Ex
    2.) Final Fantasy IX
    1.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

• @neocweeny

"Modern control scheme means we have enabled use of the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad for movement of Ryo, as well as adding full mouse and keyboard support for PC users."

Thats all I could find, I guess thats all that was changed, I guess its only that way, I thought it may have had original and modern scheme

• Deus Ex

#3. Deus Ex - 37 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Exist 2 Inspire, jipostus)
    #2: 4 (Axel, bard91, ACardAttack, Sheria)
    #3: 2 (tokeeffe9, CptCobblePot)
    #4: 1 (Crepe)
    HM: 3 (TokyoSlim, NeoCweeny, Ringedwithtile)

Information

Release date: June 17 [US/EU]
    Developer: Ion Storm
    Publisher: Eidos Interactive
    Genre: Action role-playing, First-person shooter, Stealth
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• My Google search for 2000 games really screwed me, pokemon Gold and Silver are my favourite pokemon game ever and it's not even on my list!!

• Deus Ex, the game most inspired by Cyberpunk 2020 until Cyberpunk 2077 comes out.

• @exist-2-inspire said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

I was 13 in 2000 and if Deus Ex doesn't win this countdown i'm going to quit the internet! :D

Well it was nice knowing y'all, bye! :P

• Only topped by one game for me, though it's still technically a better game when you look at what it achieved.

Presuming Majoras Mask makes the list, I find it shocking that Baldurs Gate II never even made the list, also sad to see the lack of Code Veronica.