The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• @crepe said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Since we can safely assume what the next two games are, what did you all vote for that didn't make the cut?

I had Threads of Fate. Didn't think it would get on, but it's a great game.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Parasite Eve II and Thief II: The Metal Age

• @neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Capcom Vs SNK

Over MvC2? You maniac!

Just a bit of trivia, Gametrailers/Screwattack rated Marvel vs Capcom the 2nd greatest fighting game of all time in 2007

• @tokyoslim Ah, the reason they shut down has finally become apparent.

I like MvC 2, it almost made my list actually.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

@neocweeny said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Capcom Vs SNK

Over MvC2? You maniac!

Just a bit of trivia, Gametrailers/Screwattack rated Marvel vs Capcom the 2nd greatest fighting game of all time in 2007

Well then, I hope their first was Capcom Vs SNK 2 otherwise they were WRONG!

• @hazz3r He always does! ;-)

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Crimson Skies

This one was a sleeper hit. So good.

I feel like if I played Grandia II, Shenmue (just bought it), or Code Veronica I would have voted for them. I also just realized that those were all Dreamcast exclusives. Hmm

• Kirby 64 is underrated!
    Otherwise everything I had got on. I have mainstream tastes, I guess.

• @naltmank said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Otherwise everything I had got on. I have mainstream tastes, I guess.

i voted kirby 64 too

• The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

#2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 45 points

Votes

#1: 4 (Enzo88, E_Zed_Eh_Intern, FerrisK96, CptCobblePot)
    #2: 2 (Chocobop, A7X458)
    #3: 3 (Capnbobamous, Hidz, Bigdude1)
    #4: 2 (FF7Cloud, jipostus)
    HM: 4 (Hanabi, Brannox, SabotageTheTruth, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: October 26 [US], November 17 [EU]
    Developer: Nintendo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Final Fantasy IX

#1. Final Fantasy IX - 66 points

Votes

#1: 9 (FF7Cloud, TokyoSlim, Brannox, Lotias, SunPraiser, Hidz, A7X458, ACardAttack, Sheria)
    #2: 3 (Crepe, naltmank, Ringedwithtile)
    #3: 2 (Enzo88, jipostus)
    #4: 0
    HM: 3 (Exist 2 Inspire, Sazime, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: November 13 [US]
    Developer: SquareSoft
    Publisher: SquareSoft
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Number nine is the new number one!

• @crepe Yeah, Crimson skies is a real good game.

My list:
    1: Final Fantasy IX
    2: Jet Set Radio
    3: Marvel vs Capcom 2
    4: Hitman: Codename 47

a: The Sims
    b: Diablo II
    c: Crimson Skies
    d: Deus Ex

• I am thoroughly disgusted at the lack of Baldur's Gate II on this list, it's my favourite game of all time and only @Exist-2-Inspire voted for it outside of me.

I denounce this community!

And I can't wait to play FF IX for the very first time on my Swiiiiitch next year ;)

• I look back at 2000 and honestly it looks like a year that had a bunch of influential games but it was also when I literally couldn't buy games and had one console so I missed the vast majority of this stuff bar going back recently to play a few like Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy IX and Deus Ex. I remember playing a demo of Baldur's Gate 2 which seemed cool but again I'd get like 2 games a year back then.

• Majora's Mask is still my favorite Zelda game. It has such an unmistakable tone, and the time mechanic was borderline revolutionary when it first came out.

It also has my favorite music of all the Zeldas. It somehow manages to be creepy yet beautiful.

• I am thoroughly surprised FF IX beat out Majora's Mask. I thought FOR SURE it would be the other way around...

In any event, in regards to Majora's Mask it is the one game on my list that I did not play, but it IS the one game I want to. Of all the Zeldas that I haven't, none call to me like Majora's Mask (For reference, I've only played Wind Waker [Like it a lot] and A Link to the Past [It's... fine]) Because I've never owned an N64 (due to circumstances that still aggravate me to this day) and me resolute in not buying a system for a single game, no exceptions (Sorry 3DS), this and Ocarina will forever sit atop the pile of shame.

As for Final Fantasy IX, this is the most recent Final Fantasy I've played for the first time. When it was rereleased for the PS4, I downloaded it and after some time, I finally got around to playing. I've been averse to playing games based off others' praise (Final Fantasy VI burned me pretty bad) and the style of the game never really spoke to me, but I decided to give it a shot.

And I'm happy I did.

Whlie the reliance on stealing is an annoyance, and the story REALLY gets away from itself down the stretch, FF IX is not only a solid FF game, but personally speaking, the best game to come out of 2000. I enjoy Tetra Master and some scenes are really captivating (Like when arriving at Freya's home and the burning of Alexandria).

FF IX, in my personal FF rankings, now sits in between the "Love" and "Like" categories. (For reference, said rankings are: 7, 10, 12, 4 | 1, 9 | 15, 2 | 6 | 8, 13 with not having played 3, 5, 11, and 14).

As a quick overall summary of my list:

1.) Final Fantasy IX
    2.) Pokemon Gold/Silver
    3.) Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    4.) Crash Bash
    HM.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

You know it's coming so here we go: Shout-outs to: @Exist-2-Inspire, @Sazime, @tokeeffe9, @Enzo88, @jipostus, @Crepe, @naltmank, @Ringedwithtile, @FF7Cloud, @TokyoSlim, @Lotias, @SunPraiser, @Hidz, @A7X458, @ACardAttack, and @Sheria for lauding Final Fantasy IX!

And finally, I always wanted to end my last summary post with a massive thank you to @Axel for putting these together and the work that goes into them. You do a fantastic job!

Now, I can't wait for the next one! (Which most likely will be the 2018 list)

• Wanna give a shoutout to Sin and Punishment and Lack of Love, which would have made my list but they're Japanese.

Also glad FFIX beat out Majora's Mask, which starts and ends great but doesn't mess with the Zelda formula in any way I found interesting or valuable.

• Deus Ex is also very high in my all-time best list, it was mind-blowing at the time. Easily the most mature game I had ever played back then, and my first entry into the cyberpunk genre, it hooked me with its world full of conspiracies.

The freedom the game offers is made much stronger by the consequences your actions have. You can - and probably will - f*** things up many times on your first playthrough, simply by not realizing that the stakes are real and the game doesn't play nice. There are so many secrets, so many ways to resolve or mess up situations, small or big branches in the story. And the gameplay does hold up, with a great mix of stealth and shooting. It's a true classic and I'm glad it placed in the top 3, although it should easily be above Majora's Mask...

Human Revolution and Mankind Divided did an amazing at modernizing this series legacy and I'm devastated that we won't see a new entry for a long time.

Speaking of Majora's Mask, I think it's the only Zelda game I didn't enjoy. I played it for the first time on 3DS which is supposed to streamline the rougher aspects of it and I still couldn't get into it. Haven't finished it to this day, even though I'm close to the end, Stone Tower which I think is the last temple? I appreciate what it does with its time travel mechanic, it allows for very creative and engaging side-quests, but the stress of constantly having a timer kills all the fun for me, I just can't look past it. Having to replay a dungeon just because you got stuck on a puzzle for too long and can't finish it on time is pretty much unacceptable for me, I hate it when a game wastes my time. I don't like its world either, I don't like its vibes, it's creepy but not in a good way. I realize it's very much a matter of personal taste and I can objectively recognize its qualities, it's just not for me.

• Just disclaiming that I voted based on what I had played at the time. I was very young. Deus Ex, Baldurs Gate II, Thief II, and others were out of the question.

I only played FF9 and other games mentioned when I was older. Pokémon Gold was my glaring omission. I voted for Stadium because I thought that was the only Pokémon game in 2000.

• Can't say much about both of these games, since i haven't played them. I was considering FF IX since it's available on PS4, but i'm kinda skeptical now since i tried out FF X first and didn't really like it (ended my playthrough at the second temple-dungeon thing).

I'm not happy with my list, i was too hasty this time around.
    #1 The Sims
    #2 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
    #3 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater II
    #4 Vagrant Story
    Honorable mentions: Diablo II

It would have been like this, if i did it properly:
    #1 Shenmue
    #2 Counter Strike
    #3 The Sims
    #4 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
    Honorable mentions: Diablo II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater II

Anyway, thank you @Axel for doing this and everyone else who voted, it's been fun seeing all the votes and discussions.