The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• My list of GOTY 2000

#1: Final Fantasy IX
    #2: Shenmue
    #3: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    #4: Skies of Arcadia
    Honorable mentions: Mario Party 2, Diablo II, Jet Set Radio, Banjo-Tooie

Special shoutout to Perfect Dark, It'd easily made my top 8 if I didn't forget about it and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

• Perfect Dark cracking the top 10 makes me happy. That's my single biggest overall take. More than one person forgot about PD or didn't vote in time, so Perfect Dark might have even been higher!

I'm on team Majora's Mask over FF9, but these games are equally solid representatives to put in our top two slots. (Perfect Dark would have been a better number 1, but I digress :P )

I don't have any regrets over games I voted for that I didn't make it, but I am saddened that Mega Man Legends 2 not only didn't make it, it only got 1 measly point! I'm 98% certain I would have voted for MML2 if I had played it. (I'm not sure how many people self-restricted their votes to this type of personal criteria. I can say though I believe I felt more satisfaction submitting my final votes by limiting myself to games that I can personally judge, rather than judge indirectly from others.)

• @brannox I really want you to try 5 and 3! They're the two most overlooked games in the franchise, and they're very much evolutions of the original Final Fantasy. I go back and forth on whether or not I like 5 more than 4, even though I think 4 is objectively the better game. 4 also has a lot more goofy elements than people remember, and I don't think the story holds up as well on second viewing. 5 is more traditional in its story, but I think it works in its favor. 3 pretty much takes the purity of 1, adds in a bit of the more "complex" story from 2, and then jacks everything up by introducing the job system. It was my introduction to the franchise, and is the game that got me into RPGs beyond pokemon. But this isn't a Final Fantasy gush list! This is about the best of 2000. My list:

1. Pokemon Gold/Silver
    2. FF9
    3. Tekken Tag Tournament
    4. Kirby 64
      HM: Tonky Hawk

FF9 is arguably my favorite game in my arguably my favorite franchise, but Pokemon gold/silver is just my favorite game period. It was a hard choice between them for my #1, so I'm glad they both made the list!

• Here is what my list was

1. Final Fantasy 9
    2. Deus Ex
    3. Skies of Arcadia
    4. Chrono Cross

Honorable mentions
    The Sims
    Persona 2 EP
    Shenmue
    Grandia 2

• I was not very successful this time around.

Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Shenmue
    Mega Man Legends 2
    Grandia II
    Parasite Eve II
    Chrono Cross
    Wild Arms 2

Wild Arms 2 being numbe 1.

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

#1. Final Fantasy IX
    #2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    #3. Deus Ex
    #4. Shenmue
    #5. Pokémon Gold and Silver

#6. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    #7. Diablo II
    #8. Jet Set Radio
    #9. The Sims
    #10. Perfect Dark

#11. Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    #12. Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
    #13. Skies of Arcadia
    #14. Spider-Man
    #15. Vagrant Story

#16. The Operative: No One Lives Forever
    #17. Banjo-Tooie
    #18. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    #19. SSX
    #20. Counter-Strike

#21. Chrono Cross
    #22. Mario Party 2
    #23. Dino Crisis 2
    #24. Tekken Tag Tournament
    #24. TimeSplitters

I've played 19 of the winners. Games like Mario Party, Tony Hawk and Pokemon don't really interest me. I had made progress in a detailed post for a lot of the games here, but sadly lost it all, so ill keep it brief.

Dino Crisis 2 I actually beat again this year. It was a massive let Dow for me due to the unexpected changes for a sequel, but I kind of like it for what it is.

Chrono Cross I played a little late but loved it. I also played Trigger quite late too, but I definitely prefer Cross.

Counter Strike I played once or twice, but hated it. I know I don't really like multiplayer shooters in general, but i was actually playing Quake III and Unreal Tournament at the time, games I much preferred.

Persona 2 I imported back around 2004. I loved it, but not enough to make top 8. It, along with IS are the best Persona games Imo.

I love the collectathon genre and adored the original Banjo, but the sequel was just bloated and unnecessarily padded in my opinion. I just got overwhelmed a bit and it dampened my overall experience

Noone Lives Forever is amazing and was on my list until I was informed it was only 8, not 10 we vote for. I might slightly prefer the sequel though.

Vagrant Story is another game I completed again this year. I disliked it at launch and it took a long time until I warmed to it. Great game though.

Skies of Arcadia is a phenomenal game for the Dreamcast. Such a wonderful sense of adventure and a true epic for the genre. Well worthy of making my list.

C&C RA2. I was kind of out of the genre at this point, but I did try it. I actually prefer the first Red Alert, though Tiberian Sun is my favourite.

Spyro 3 kind of came and went for me, I bought all of them as they released but for some reason, none of them really made an impression on me. The N64 was my go to for the 3D platformer.

Perfect Dark never really did it for me, another game that came and went. I much prefer Goldeneye as I just much prefer the levels and objectives.

The Sims I actually fell in love with, It just didn't make the list. Funny thing is that I don't like any others in the series, I can only play and enjoy the original. Same goes for Worms too.

Jet Set Radio I kind of bought due to the fuss being made in magazines prior to release. I didn't like it though, almost took it back even.

Diablo II is yet another game I played due to hype and recommendation from mates, but I just don't like the series. I should have just taken that from the first in hindsight.

Majoras Mask is my favourite 3D Zelda, but I definitely prefer the 2D ones.

Shenmue, Deus Ex and FF9. Three games that still to this day remain on my top 10 games of all time. What can I say other than, what a year.

• @sheria said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Chrono Cross I played a little late but loved it. I also played Trigger quite late too, but I definitely prefer Cross.

One of us! There are dozens of us who prefer Cross to Trigger!

Persona 2 I imported back around 2004. I loved it, but not enough to make top 8. It, along with IS are the best Persona games Imo.

Hard to say, IS is better than EP in my opinion, EP had a lot of pacing issues, and I felt was back heavy with story. Did enjoy the rumor system, I would be interested to play IS and EP again if they were updated to P5 style, maybe not with social links, but better demon negotiating and no random battles

Vagrant Story is another game I completed again this year. I disliked it at launch and it took a long time until I warmed to it. Great game though.

I just played that this year and I didnt care for it. I one wasn't expecting a dungeon crawler, two UI was a little clunky for a game that requires you to switch weapons a lot and three, like Persona EP I felt the story was back heavy, but also didn't make that much sense

Skies of Arcadia is a phenomenal game for the Dreamcast. Such a wonderful sense of adventure and a true epic for the genre. Well worthy of making my list.

Really hoping for a re-release, want to replay it, but not with 2000 encounter rates

Shenmue, Deus Ex and FF9. Three games that still to this day remain on my top 10 games of all time. What can I say other than, what a year.

I need to replay Deus Ex, its been about 5 or 6 years, but its so great, makes me sad that HR and MD just aren't that great compared to the original. Shenmue is a classic, not top 10 for me all time

Have you played the Yakuza games? Really build on the Shenmue formula

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Speaking of Majora's Mask, I think it's the only Zelda game I didn't enjoy. I played it for the first time on 3DS which is supposed to streamline the rougher aspects of it and I still couldn't get into it.

Aside from a slightly dodgy framerate and some odd stuff in the cutscenes, the original version doesn't really have rough aspects.

OTOH, the 3DS version murdered the art style (presumably to make it easier to see things on a tiny screen)...

• @acardattack said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Have you played the Yakuza games? Really build on the Shenmue formula

I honestly don't really like to compare them, but yes, I own all 7 main entry's. A fantastic series in its own right.

• @tokeeffe9

bump for Hall of Fame