The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• @e_zed_eh_intern This probably isn't the most multiplayer focused forum I'd say.

• Nothing I voted for yet.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

@sazime yeah, it's one of my favorite JRPGs. Not sure which I liked better, that or FFIX, but they are both pretty high up on my list.

I grew up on the NES FF, Ultima and the SNES RPGs before CT. When it came along, it felt.... lacking? Maybe it was too easy, and at the time, the idea of a NG+ and multiple endings didn't feel as good as they do now?

• @sazime I've never really liked especially difficult games.

• @tokyoslim I certainly don't any more!

• @axel

Suppose I should make a comment on my number #1 pick.

I think it would be fair to say that, with the exception of maybe The Sims, Counter-Strike was probably the most impactful on the industry out of all the games released in 2000. It was a pioneer in competitive asymmetrical multiplayer, something that we're still seeing innovation in today, and the first example I can think of of a mod that was acquired by the original games developer and turned into its own fully fledged game.

Every popular first person shooter has now copied its formula of bomb defusal, 1 life, game type. It was the Battle Royale of the noughties, at least until Call of Duty 4 changed the industry yet again in 2007.

I didn't discover Counter Strike until 2003/2004 when me and my friend began exploring PC gaming. I loved the fact that you could learn a predictable spray pattern, rather than the twitch shooting of Quake and Unreal. Learning the maps, player movement, throwing smokes in JUST the right place. Not picking up your weapons on the map but buying them with money you earn by playing well!

I'm just gushing at this point, but seriously, and incredible, innovative game that changed the face of first person shooters forever. I haven't even talked about the mod support, zombies, surfing, etc. If you've never played Counter Strike, pick up Global Offensive when it's on sale.

• I didn't know CS was released in 2000! Would have been my number 1 pick, lol.

• Counter Strike is probably the first entrant so far that we can look at and say it was a landmark beginning in games that year. In the online arena, there are few games that have had the lineage of Counter Strike and still, 18 years later, it's still a MASSIVELY popular game. Still, with what it has become, it's a game I want nothing to do with. Not a MP person to begin with, but seeing people play that game is.... let's just say intimidating.

• If Team Fortress Classic was eligible, I would have voted for it. Alas, I could never get into Counterstrike during the period of my life where I had time to play such time commitments. Compared to TFC, the quick time to death of CS turned me off and I missed my beloved classes and emphasis on team roles and ongoing social contact with your online stranger friends (you respawn during TFC matches, but not CS matches). Later I learned to respect Counterstrike vicariously from those who were able to get into it and relayed to me what they enjoyed.

So even though to this day I see Counterstrike as the more popular "rival team" to the other multiplayer Half-Life 1 mod/mode that I personally preferred, I am glad it made it on the list.

• SSX

#19. SSX - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Crepe)
    #4: 2 (Sunpraiser, SabotageTheTruth)
    HM: 3 (DIPSET, Inustar, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: October 26 [US], November 24 [EU]
    Developer: EA Canada
    Publisher: EA Sports BIG
    Genre: Snowboarding
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• SSX! Interesting. While I remember playing a snowboarding game when I was much younger, I can't remember what it was called, so I've convinced myself it was SSX. While I'm really not as much into action sports as I was, I still appreciate the sport, and seeing it video game form was really neat (same can be said for BMX and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater).

Now that the Hype Master has willed into existence his favorite franchises, I wonder if he could lend his magic in bringing back this franchise as well...

• Never played it, but I watched the Kyle streams a few months back and the game looked really good. A lot of charm, heart and innovation, must have been a blast back in the day, I'm not surprised to see it in the list, I actually expected it a bit higher.

• I missed out on this series, would love to see a remaster or something along those lines.

• I remember opening SSX on Christmas, and I couldn't believe the graphics or how smooth the gameplay was. At that time, It felt like an anomaly for the genre.

• Another one where I never played the original but adore Tricky and SSX3.

Also very happy to see Dino Crisis 2 made it on the list. As a kid who couldn't get enough dinosaurs I rented this game a bunch of times. I still weirdly remember the ending to it. Give us a new game Capcom, I dare you!

• SSX was such a great game, i thought it could have broken the top 10. it definitely was widely successful and very fun

• SSX 1 to SSX On Tour were staples of my child hood. I really really miss this era of big budget arcade style games that appeal to kids and adults. It was another sleepover with friends game. The character designs were so cool, but the voices and writing was pretty weird.

Great memories.

• SSX and SSX Tricky were games I never knew I needed until I rented them and I just remember devouring them up at the time. After watching Kyle play through the series again, it's one of the few EA franchises where I'm chomping at the bit for more of.

• Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

#18. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (SabotageTheTruth)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (NeoCweeny, E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 2 (bard91, ACardAttack)

Information

Release date: December 22 [US]
    Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation, PSP

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Persona 2 is my least favorite game in the franchise but it's still Persona so.... I still dig it on a lot of levels. Your party isn't a bunch of high schoolers, the music is great (per usual), and the rumor system is an interesting mechanic I'd love to see adopted in Persona 6 or a spin-off. It's a strange game though since the West never saw the first part of it (Innocent Sin) until much, much later, so a lot of things don't make complete sense. Maya is one of the better protagonists in the history of the series though. Hard to recommend these days unless you're majorly in love with SMT as a whole but worth checking out if that love is strong.

I know this community has a surplus of Persona fans but normally the older games get looked down on, so I wasn't expecting it to place. I especially wasn't expecting it to top something like SSX.