The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• @tokyoslim Are you another one of the weirdos that thinks Chrono Trigger is the best? I'll never understand you folks. Weirdos, all of ya.

• @sazime There are dozens of us! Dozens!!!!

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

Chrono Cross

#21. Chrono Cross - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (parasitepaladin)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (Enzo88, ACardAttack)
    HM: 1 (Sheria)

Information

Release date: August 15 [US]
    Developer: SquareSoft
    Publisher: SquareSoft
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

Ouch, figured it would be much higher than 21st, though someone said it never came out in Europe so that might be part of it

@brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

All I've heard about Chrono Cross is that it is an underwhelming sequel to Chrono Trigger. Regardless of whether that's true or not, being a sequel to one of, if not THE, most celebrated single JRPGs is a near impossible task in living up to expectations. I've said elsewhere about why I've never been interested in Chrono Trigger, and I'm someone who rather goes all in on a series instead of just one entry, so I don't really foresee myself playing Chrono Cross.

Its is both a great and terrible sequel, it could stand on its own, its more of a sequel like FF2 is to FF1, they can be played separately, there are some cross overs obviously, so maybe my FF2 to FF1 isn't the best analogy, but its not like KH1 to KH2 .

I am one of those weirdos that like Cross more than Trigger. Cross dared to be more than a standard travel in time to save the world. Cross is darker, and ultimately asks the most important question to time travel, were they right to go back in time and save the world? They then caused millions of people to never be born due to their changes

Also has a fun and different battle system and an amazing score.

• @sazime yeah, it's one of my favorite JRPGs. Not sure which I liked better, that or FFIX, but they are both pretty high up on my list.

• @ACardAttack HELL YEA MY CHRONO CROSS BRO

• Counter-Strike

#20. Counter-Strike - 9 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Hazz3r)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (Sazime)
    HM: 2 (NeoCweeny, Ringedwithtile)

Information

Release date: November 9 [US]
    Developer: Valve Corporation
    Publisher: Valve Corporation
    Genre: First-person shooter
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, Xbox, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• @axel this one surprises me a LOT. I didn't play too much CS and it wasn't on my list but, for all the praise it gets, I was expecting top 5.

• @e_zed_eh_intern This probably isn't the most multiplayer focused forum I'd say.

• Nothing I voted for yet.

• @tokyoslim said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!:

@sazime yeah, it's one of my favorite JRPGs. Not sure which I liked better, that or FFIX, but they are both pretty high up on my list.

I grew up on the NES FF, Ultima and the SNES RPGs before CT. When it came along, it felt.... lacking? Maybe it was too easy, and at the time, the idea of a NG+ and multiple endings didn't feel as good as they do now?

• @sazime I've never really liked especially difficult games.

• @tokyoslim I certainly don't any more!

• @axel

Suppose I should make a comment on my number #1 pick.

I think it would be fair to say that, with the exception of maybe The Sims, Counter-Strike was probably the most impactful on the industry out of all the games released in 2000. It was a pioneer in competitive asymmetrical multiplayer, something that we're still seeing innovation in today, and the first example I can think of of a mod that was acquired by the original games developer and turned into its own fully fledged game.

Every popular first person shooter has now copied its formula of bomb defusal, 1 life, game type. It was the Battle Royale of the noughties, at least until Call of Duty 4 changed the industry yet again in 2007.

I didn't discover Counter Strike until 2003/2004 when me and my friend began exploring PC gaming. I loved the fact that you could learn a predictable spray pattern, rather than the twitch shooting of Quake and Unreal. Learning the maps, player movement, throwing smokes in JUST the right place. Not picking up your weapons on the map but buying them with money you earn by playing well!

I'm just gushing at this point, but seriously, and incredible, innovative game that changed the face of first person shooters forever. I haven't even talked about the mod support, zombies, surfing, etc. If you've never played Counter Strike, pick up Global Offensive when it's on sale.

• I didn't know CS was released in 2000! Would have been my number 1 pick, lol.

• Counter Strike is probably the first entrant so far that we can look at and say it was a landmark beginning in games that year. In the online arena, there are few games that have had the lineage of Counter Strike and still, 18 years later, it's still a MASSIVELY popular game. Still, with what it has become, it's a game I want nothing to do with. Not a MP person to begin with, but seeing people play that game is.... let's just say intimidating.

• If Team Fortress Classic was eligible, I would have voted for it. Alas, I could never get into Counterstrike during the period of my life where I had time to play such time commitments. Compared to TFC, the quick time to death of CS turned me off and I missed my beloved classes and emphasis on team roles and ongoing social contact with your online stranger friends (you respawn during TFC matches, but not CS matches). Later I learned to respect Counterstrike vicariously from those who were able to get into it and relayed to me what they enjoyed.

So even though to this day I see Counterstrike as the more popular "rival team" to the other multiplayer Half-Life 1 mod/mode that I personally preferred, I am glad it made it on the list.

• SSX

#19. SSX - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Crepe)
    #4: 2 (Sunpraiser, SabotageTheTruth)
    HM: 3 (DIPSET, Inustar, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: October 26 [US], November 24 [EU]
    Developer: EA Canada
    Publisher: EA Sports BIG
    Genre: Snowboarding
    Platform(s): PlayStation 2

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• SSX! Interesting. While I remember playing a snowboarding game when I was much younger, I can't remember what it was called, so I've convinced myself it was SSX. While I'm really not as much into action sports as I was, I still appreciate the sport, and seeing it video game form was really neat (same can be said for BMX and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater).

Now that the Hype Master has willed into existence his favorite franchises, I wonder if he could lend his magic in bringing back this franchise as well...

• Never played it, but I watched the Kyle streams a few months back and the game looked really good. A lot of charm, heart and innovation, must have been a blast back in the day, I'm not surprised to see it in the list, I actually expected it a bit higher.

• I missed out on this series, would love to see a remaster or something along those lines.