The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2000!

• I remember opening SSX on Christmas, and I couldn't believe the graphics or how smooth the gameplay was. At that time, It felt like an anomaly for the genre.

• Global Moderator

Another one where I never played the original but adore Tricky and SSX3.

Also very happy to see Dino Crisis 2 made it on the list. As a kid who couldn't get enough dinosaurs I rented this game a bunch of times. I still weirdly remember the ending to it. Give us a new game Capcom, I dare you!

• SSX was such a great game, i thought it could have broken the top 10. it definitely was widely successful and very fun

• SSX 1 to SSX On Tour were staples of my child hood. I really really miss this era of big budget arcade style games that appeal to kids and adults. It was another sleepover with friends game. The character designs were so cool, but the voices and writing was pretty weird.

Great memories.

• SSX and SSX Tricky were games I never knew I needed until I rented them and I just remember devouring them up at the time. After watching Kyle play through the series again, it's one of the few EA franchises where I'm chomping at the bit for more of.

• Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

#18. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (SabotageTheTruth)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (NeoCweeny, E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 2 (bard91, ACardAttack)

Information

Release date: December 22 [US]
    Developer: Atlus
    Publisher: Atlus
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation, PSP

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Persona 2 is my least favorite game in the franchise but it's still Persona so.... I still dig it on a lot of levels. Your party isn't a bunch of high schoolers, the music is great (per usual), and the rumor system is an interesting mechanic I'd love to see adopted in Persona 6 or a spin-off. It's a strange game though since the West never saw the first part of it (Innocent Sin) until much, much later, so a lot of things don't make complete sense. Maya is one of the better protagonists in the history of the series though. Hard to recommend these days unless you're majorly in love with SMT as a whole but worth checking out if that love is strong.

I know this community has a surplus of Persona fans but normally the older games get looked down on, so I wasn't expecting it to place. I especially wasn't expecting it to top something like SSX.

• Alright everyone who voted for Persona 2, hot many of you played it when it came out? I'm really curious if anyone did. I knew nothing of the series until Persona 4: Golden.

• @sazime I did! The rental store near us for some reason really focused in hard on PS1 RPGs, so I got to play a lot of classics like Xenogears and Breath of Fire, despite my family not really having a lot of cash. I actually have a lot of memories playing the first Persona with my mom but we could never finish the final boss (something I rectified later on in life). For whatever reason, she wasn't really interested in the second game but I did play it on release by myself - can't say I got extremely far though because it's much more difficult than the first and a certain museum fire section absolutely destroyed me. I eventually bought a copy in my teens and went through it. I have a fond memory of going to pick up Persona 3 at a midnight release completely decked out in a suit, with absolutely no one else in the store being there for that game. I feel like a lot of people in the EZA community first heard of Persona from Ben, so I'm grateful for that; this series is really something special.

• @sabotagethetruth

Man the days of video rentals can shape what somebody ends up interested in for years to come. I wish kids these days had that opportunity to pick up a rental at the store.

As per Persona 2, I love the idea of it. I played the intro on a Raspberry Pie with my coworkers at lunch. The tone was really great and I liked the look and everything. Problem is that I don’t think I have a game of that length in me, especially since I hear the story goes off the rails. Is it really a game that’s approachable today?

• I didn't like Persona 1 or 2. They just played like slow, lame SMT games. Haven't got around to 3 through 5, which I understand are a lot more gratifying and unique.

• @sazime I didn't vote for it, but I touched it when it came out. IIRC, both of the first Persona's were extremely rare when they came out and I knew a friend of a friend of a friend who had both. That was awesome to me back then.

• @sazime nope! I only discovered the series maybe a year or 2 before you but have since played through all numbered entries - plus a bunch of SMT games. I played this maybe 4 years ago and thought it really held up, but then I'm old. Playing back-to-back with IS, I thought all the carryover was cool. I just wish I could have carried over my save. Truth be told, I got burned out about 3/4 through and didn't finish this one but had a blast up until then.

• I didn't know Persona's history was so long! That goes to show just how much of a force it's been since 3 and 4.

Of all the entries revealed so far, it's the biggest struggle to think of something to comment on, so I'll have to end it here.

• @sazime certainly not me, I started with the first version of 3 and since it is my favorite franchise I played through all of them once I got them for Vita, 2 is game I didn't have a lot of fun playing but it still a very interesting story and really good elements to it, many SMT fans would call me crazy but in reality the game is just not a lot of fun unless you don't mind the clunkiness, I did but I put up with it because I wanted to play the game.

Glad to see it did actually make the list I wasn't sure it would actually be the case.

• I didn't vote on this but I'm seeing Persona 2 talk, so I'll add my 2 cents. Didn't play them until long after they were released, but Persona 2: IS/EP are my favorite Persona games by a wide margin. I like that all character are under your control, Persona changing isn't only reserved for the main character, the dungeons aren't random and are a part of the actual world, the fact that you summon as opposed to fuse demon, and the consistency of negotiating.

• @dipset I dunno if I'd describe it as approachable, there's certainly a lot that isn't explained but any SMT knowledge will help considerably and there's enough resources online to guide the journey along. The ability to speed up battles by removing animations helps too, as some of the later fights really drag on.

• Banjo-Tooie

#17. Banjo-Tooie - 10 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (CptCobblePot)
    #3: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #4: 1 (A7X458)
    HM: 1 (Hidz)

Information

Release date: November 20 [US]
    Developer: Rare
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platforming, Action-adventure
    Platform(s): Nintendo 64, Xbox 360

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• For all I hear about Banjo-Kazooie, from adulation of the original, requests for them to be in Smash Ultimate, or a rerelease/remaster of said original to be on current gen hardware, I hardly EVER hear anything about Banjo-Tooie.

To sate my curiosity, I want to ask: How similar/different is it from the original and with Battletoads making a comeback, does anyone think B&K will make a return as well? (Not you Nuts & Bolts. Apparently no one likes you.)

• Counter-Strike is one of the few multiplayer shooters I ever got into. I enjoyed it a lot despite never being good at it.

I have some mixed feelings towards Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. I was doubting to make it an HM or number 4 on my list. While the story is not nearly as good as Innocent Sin, it's still a great game nonetheless.

I think Banjo-Tooie would have made it on my list if I had played. I didn't like Banjo-Kazooie all that much as a kid but this year I decided to give it a second chance and loved it. Sadly I haven't gotten around to play Tooie yet.