The PlayStation Classic

• Sony follows the suit: https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/09/19/introducing-the-playstation-classic-with-20-pre-installed-games/

Youtube Video

"Almost 25 years ago, the original PlayStation was introduced to the world. Developed by then Sony Computer Entertainment, it was the first home console in video game history to ship 100 million units worldwide, offering consumers a chance to play games with real-time 3D rendered graphics for the first time in their own homes.

Today, we are so excited to announce that we are bringing back the original PlayStation experience in a new miniaturised version – PlayStation Classic! The console will come preloaded with 20 classic titles, including fan-favourites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, R4 Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms."

Let's see how this does. I'm not on board yet, much depends on the 20 games themselves, of course. Which they could've revealed all right away, to be honest.

• I think Bloodworth's tweet is the most on point thing I've read so far, and I'm still excited about it.

• No AC Adaptor. No Dualshocks. No buy.

• Shit that one might be hard to resist, depending on the line-up!

I get what Blood is saying but maybe the reason they haven't announced all the games is because they want to drip-feed those announcements to create regular hype until release. Imagine if they do have all the games he mentioned, and announce one every week, kinda like Smash does with their fighters, it would do wonders for them.

So it's one or the other, either they don't have much and they're hiding it, or they have everything and they've got a master marketing plan.

• Find it odd there's no dualshocks, so I guess we can rule out Ape Escape. I'll probably pick it up, but yeah what games will this have?

• So let's see, what could / should they put on there?

Locked in

• Final Fantasy VII
    • Jumping Flash
    • R4 Ridge Racer Type 4
    • Tekken 3
    • Wild Arms

Obvious picks

• MediEvil
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Tomb Raider (2)
    • Battle Arena Toshinden
    • Wipeout
    • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    • Resident Evil (2)
    • Destruction Derby
    • PaRappa the Rapper
    • Twisted Metal

I believe those, despite some being third-parties, shouldn't run into too much trouble being added. If anything, having Crash and Spyro would work well as advertisements for the remastered trilogies.

The rest

• Gran Turismo
    • Dino Crisis
    • Mega Man Legends
    • Silent Hill (2)
    • G-Police
    • Colony Wars
    • Vagrant Story
    • Final Fantasy Tactics
    • Suikoden (2)
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy IX
    • Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    • Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (2)
    • Chrono Cross

And many more. And that's just off to the top of my head, damn that console was packed! There's gonna be a lot of awesome games left out.

• Approximately zero interest unless the game list is mind blowing, which it won't be. Im talking GT, SotN, Crash, Spyro, Suikoden, Legend of Legaia, Wipeout, Fighting Force, Parasite Eve, RE, Silent Hill, Legend of Dragoon, MGS, etc etc etc.

However, if they throw in Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style, I'll buy regardless.

But srsly, I've got a VitaTV loaded up with most of the PSOne's greatest hits, so I'll probably pass. Might get for the lil guy.

• I still own my launch day PS1 (which is chipped so I can basically play any PS1 game I can burn a disc for), I still own my launch day PS3 with PS1 capabilities. So not much immediate interest.

I think others will agree that the Nintendo Systems sold because of their strong line-ups, but there's nothing that stands out here for me with the exception of Tekken 3. These systems are about being able to play a selection of the system's most well received and widely played games quickly and easily on "modern" hardware. I hope Sony realise that before they put their foot in it.

That said, I'd like to see Croc on there. Controls were pretty bad but I always loved that game's level design.

• So excited for this! Never had a PS1 so this is so cool to me. I didn't pick up NES and SNES classic just because i don't have much interest in the systems, this is the classic i've been waiting for. I'm honestly not expecting much from the games, but it would be awesome if they had Medievil, MGS, Gran Turismo and more RPGs other than FF7.

Also, i would love having a little PS1 sitting next to my PS4. It's like a weird family reunion.

• @hazz3r
    just As a heads up you do know that all PS3 models can play PS1 disc, not just launch models

• @dmcmaster Ah yeah, it's PS2 games that only launch models can play right? I get the two mixed up all the time.

• I want this to bomb. Give me the PS1 classics on PS4 like we had on PS3. That was a huge part of what made PS3 great.

Not to mention that the PS1 has one of the richest libraries of all time. It needs the actual CLASSICS: Crash 1-3, CTR, Spyro 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-9, Castlevania, GT, Syphon Filter 1-3, Twisted Metal 1-2, MGS, Tony Hawk 1-2, FIFA, Suikoden 1-2, LIST GOES ON AND ON.

This needs like 90-100 games for me to want to buy it.

OR - just put them on PS4 for $5-10 like they have been on PS3 since like 2007...

• Global Moderator

@dmcmaster I thought the PS1 classic games were being rated for PS4 by what you said. :(

• They gotta do SOMETHING with those warehouses full of PSTVs.

• As it stands right now, I'm in a "Wait and see" approach to whether I may purchase this or not. I need to see the full list, and I concur with many who have already posted. If they were smart, the other 15 would be:

A Tony Hawk's Proskater
    Gran Turismo 1 & 2
    Final Fantasy IX & Tactics
    Metal Gear Solid
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Vagrant Story
    Parappa the Rappa
    Tomb Raider
    Resident Evil 1 & 2
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Ape Escape
    Syphon Filter

And believe it or not, that would be a compelling list for me personally, because I only have played four of the above games, so it gives me the opportunity to try many classics. Though, let's be honest: Castlevania and MGS won't be on it because, well, Konami, and I don't see them throwing in Pro Skater, FF Tactics, or Tomb Raider for other issues.

And the real list is probably made up of games that like Jumping Flash: Never heard of it.

But to continue in the exercise (because it IS fun after all), in addition to the above I would also like to see the Spyro's and Crash's, but with the remasters about to release or already out on multiple consoles, it's HIGHLY unlikely. Crash Team Racing would be an interesting pick that may or may not happen, but also probably not going to happen. For MediEvil, with it being remastered, I also think it won't show.

Other potential picks I could see:
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee or Exoddus
    Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    Dino Crisis 1 or 2
    Xenogears
    Bushido Blade
    Suikoden 1 and/or 2
    Brave Fencer Musashi
    Twisted Metal
    Parasite Eve

But aside from all the games itself, the controllers not being wireless, plus the adapter issue are significant red flags. Also, it's a missed opportunity to shadow drop this at PSX, which they have yet to announce (Which, if we don't hear anything before October 1st, I don't think there will BE a PSX this year).

• I will buy no matter what they but on it, i have faith in PlayStation.

• @el-shmiablo said in The PlayStation Classic:

They gotta do SOMETHING with those warehouses full of PSTVs.

It's funny, I'd happily buy one but I could never find them on sale, at least for a reasonable price.

@brannox said in The PlayStation Classic:

A Tony Hawk's Proskater

Not just any Pro Skater. It has to be 2, it's basically a definitive version of Tony Hawk's Skateboarding (the first one) and 3 was developed primarily for PS2, Xbox, GameCube, with Shaba Games and Vicarious Visions making the accompanying PS1 versions of 3 and 4 respectively.

• If anything, I'd rather a PS2 classic with guaranteed online functionality therefore bringing games back to life like SOCOM II, Gran Turismo 4, etc

• @hazz3r Got mine for fiddy bix a few years ago. Thought that was a reasonable price for what I essentially use as a legit PSOne emulator.