VR Allies

• I guess I am very fortunate to not experience motion sickness in VR.
    Played RE7 for hours on PSVR and didn't experience so much as a rumbly in my tumbly.

• Last couple of years I occasionally get sick going by bus or car so maybe I am prone to that kind of motion sickness though I hope I get somewhat used to it.
    Tried Rec Room VR, but only the character creation in the starting room. It was fun seeing the reflection of your avatar. By opening a drawer, a number of e.g. hairstyles is placed around your room and you put them on by picking them up and placing them on your head. That's really well done.

• Global Moderator

Blood and Truth is out today and reviews have been pretty good for it so far. Kinda forgot it was so soon. Think I may pick it up before the weekend.

• Valve Index VR reports are starting to release:

Valve Index VR Headset In-Depth Impressions!
    Youtube Video

• Hmm, still unsure what benefits I would get from higher framerates, as my biggest issues with my headset would probably be screen resolution (screen door effect) and maybe even more those “god rays”, though both more noticeable when I watch videos in vr. I might disagree on the reasons given for higher frame rates in this video or I could imagine that problems with lower frame rates maybe only an issue in certain scenarios. But if I keep my current interest in VR and find limitations on the oculus quest, this would certainly be the best HMD at the moment, since with other headsets there is always a drawback and also they didn’t change much in the last years.

• VR Baby!!!!
    Wanted to write about my experience with the Oculus Quest so far most importantly how playing/streaming PC games feels like.
    So I tried a program called ALVR, that you have to sideload on the Quest to stream SteamVR games to the Quest. Works pretty well, I can adjust streaming rate for better performance or a higher resolution. Setup is often a hassle cause you have to start the program on Quest and PC and then connect your headset and start Steam VR. Also Steam VR setup is cumbersome with the Quest. Then I tried it in conjunction with Oculus Rift/ Store games through Revive with not the best results. Some games don’t start and every game had a lot of jitter that I could not fix.
    Then the app Virtual Desktop implemented the opportunity to stream SteamVR games but with a easier Setup. Bought it on the Quest but I think the day before the developer was forced to remove this feature. Was upsetting but on the developer side you could download an update to restore this via sideloading. And setup is so much easier cause you can switch between desktop and VR view inside the headset and most of the Oculus Store also stopped having the jitter problems.
    I didn’t notice an input lag or latency, at least I am not aware of it but maybe it’s there and increases my motion sickness. But for most experiences it works good enough. You have to have a good wlan router (5GHz) and mine from the ISP sometimes interrupts the data streaming, with some frame drops or a distorted picture in the headset. Anyway, I could try a lot of free experiences, movies and games that I want to talk about some other time…

• Some Games I played on Oculus Quest I wanted to talk about and some I should not:
    Superhot VR (Quest): is great. I was crouching on the flour to avoid gunshots. And in the middle of some shootout probably tried resting against a virtual table and fell. Still didn’t find the level select.
    Vader Immortal (Quest): Not a Star Wars fan, but the 40min adventure was quite entertaining. One vs One light saber battles are okay and there is a arcade mode where you deflect laser shots from flying drones. Cross buy with oculus rift so could play it on Quest and PC. Sadly the “high” graphics setting introduces Jitter.
    Elite Dangerous (PC Streaming/Steam VR): Been to much time since I played the game so I don’t know what to do. But looks great and Menus pop-up when you look at certain parts of your cockpit. Would play it more, but was already at the center of the galaxy, so I know what is there! ^^
    Project Cars (PC Streaming/Steam VR): Still had a copy I never really played because the game is not that fun, especially the career mode. But graphics are great and it runs really well. Look very nice when it starts raining and time of day changes.
    Dirt Rally (PC Streaming/Revive): Game only works with Oculus Rift headset and you have to patch it to get the Steam Version running in Steam VR… but it does not. Constant jitter makes it unplayable and I tried everything to get rid of it. Its only okay if you reduce graphic settings to very low. My very favorite racing game and I can’t play it! There is an official oculus version but I will not buy it again if I don’t know if it works.
    Google Spotlight Stories: A number of individual short stories. Some cute, some sad and some just meh. Best ones are Age of Sail and Pearl. It got a little wet behind the VR glasses
    Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice VR (PC Streaming/Steam VR): Bought the original game, have the VR version. Looks interesting. Will maybe play again.
    3D Games?!: Was on the quest to play games in stereoscopic 3D but there are not a lot that outright support it. Played around with reshade, a program normally used to improve graphics and somehow able to implement 3D in certain games. Quantum Breaks works somewhat but looks not so good.
    Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC): Would you believe it? Both games have an option to play in stereoscopic 3D. Looking very fine, though resolution takes a hit, even when streaming in 4k. And one DLC of Rise is in VR and you walk around the Croft mansion … but only in first person, so what is the point.

Played and experimented with lots of other things. Some certain things I will never forget. Them glorious Oled screens of the Quest burned those images directly to the back of my eyeballs. How can I ever go back to 2D. How! And the worst part is: I like it!!! You get used to it pretty quickly.

• Global Moderator

Sounds like additional content to the original story as opposed to furthering it. Pretty cool but I'd also love to know if they have any plans to continue Moss

• Steam-Summer-Sale! With VR capabilities I finally have a reasons to buy more games. Last Sales I pretty much skipped because I have all the games I wanted or at least enough of them…
    Not played a lot but first impressions of two highlights:
    Everspace: Had it on wishlist for couple of years probably. Rogue like space shooter/survival game, I think. You can use a controller to maneuver and it gives you the option to aim independent by headtracking, and that feels awesome. Have to get familiar with the controls but it’s a game I want to play more of.
    Skyrim VR: I shudder thinking about starting modding again because the 1000hours or more I “played” Skyrim, half of it was spent testing mods and trying stuff. Its Skyrim, in 3D and VR, alright! Problem is, like no other game I get compression artefacts because of streaming and it sometimes looks like a 360p video on youtube. Definitely have to try some graphic mods and one that enables an actual first person body instead of just hands. If I get this working, I might finally finish the main quest line…

• One thing people complain about is that there are not a lot of full games and too much “experiences”… but I love them.
    So recently, the French/German TV “culture” channel Arte released three VR experiences on Steam VR and one last weekend on the oculus quest store. Those on Steam were about some famous paintings, e.g. Edward Munch The Scream, and visualization of the painters notes or interpretation behind the intentions of those paintings… They were Okay.
    On the oculus store, they released “Notes on Blindness”, about notes of a writer who became blind. So he describes the world how he observes it through sound and you see this ingame by blue point clouds and shapes when a person/object makes sound. Together with positional audio, it makes a fascinating experience.
    And couple of weeks ago, also on the quest (previously on the go/gear vr), there was “Anne Frank house VR”, where you walk inside said house and get some excerpts from her diary. Getting an idea about the dimension of the rooms is something you probably only get by visiting the house in real life or VR.

• Wolves in the wall: It’s all over
    It’s a free title on the oculus store, and description says it is early access but what you play might be the first chapter of a more interactive experience. But OMG it was amazing. So you play as an imaginary friend of a little girl. Really good animation as she walks around you. Kind of Pixar quality. Some really smart interaction and play with the possibilities of VR. In one scene you have to make some photos with a polaroid cam and at some point she pics up one of those photos trying to convince you that there are wolves. Also you get a magnifying class that magnifies. …
    I am really impressed and it is one of the experiences you would show to demonstrate VR to your friends.

• @ikataishou

It sounds intriguing.