PSN name changes are finally happening

• https://kotaku.com/game-developers-say-theyre-preparing-for-psn-name-chang-1829521254

"Three people at three different game studios, speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press, said that in recent months they’ve been fixing bugs, tweaking settings, and ensuring that their games are compatible with Sony’s plans.

A fourth person who worked for a game studio shared a photo, obtained from internal Sony documentation, of a PSN profile containing the option “edit username.” The documentation was a guide for changing one’s name on the PlayStation Network, that person said."

Please let this be true. Even if it would cost a little.

• Global Moderator

Yeah I read about this as well! Not that I want to change my PSN name, but I have friends that want to as they made their profile "for the lulz" back in the day. Also it would be about time.

• I'm among those that would like to be able to change my PSN name. I remember when I got my PS3 and was making the name I just went with MMA_fan85, but I also figured I'd probably be able to change it (mostly cuz I did so with my 360 and figure that feature was just a given). Course I later found out that wasn't the case.

My PSN name isn't horrible, just bland. If I can change it for a small fee and not lose my licenses I'll do so.

• It's official!

Coming early 2019. The first time is free, then it's ten bucks after that, five if you're a Plus member.
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/10/psn-online-id-change-feature-entering-playstation-preview-program-soon/

• Global Moderator

So happy for everyone that has been stuck with their name for one or another reason! I will personally keep mine.

• I'm not a huge fan of my PSN name but I really don't like the idea of paying $10 for a change that'll only work with games released in the last year and will by their own admission cause enough problems for older releases that they have to allow you to revert to fix "most" of them.

• I wonder if there is a way to recover my old account from when I was in like grade 7. It had my definitive name (GoTaco) instead of the one I have been using since 2009 (GoTaco_). I can't even remember how I lost access. I think I forgot my password to PSN AND my email like a typical dumb kid.

I use DIPSET on EZA and now XBL, but I've always used GoTaco since SOCOM II in 2004. If anything I should change my EZA name BACK to match it.

The name changing sounds kinda janky though. Early PSN coding must have been a mess.

• About. Time.

• I'm a little confused when they say some older games may have errors. What is the error? does it stop me from playing that game or I read somewhere that it might just display your older name. If changing my name means I might not be able to play games I've paid for I won't be changing my name.

• @themarcv
    I'm thinking it will just display your older name or throw off any games with online leaderboards

• @themarcv They probably don't know exactly. However, the problem will almost definitely be that it displays your old name. This is because we're moving from 1 ID to 2. We're not actually changing how the system uniquely identifies our accounts. But because older games obviously won't know to look at the new name it will still show the old one.

• Man, this is another thing that i wished for a long time ago and only became a real thing when i didn't even need it. It's still great though, i probably change it so it fits my current Steam username.

• I might do this. So that way the online name I have here can match the PSN one.

• I've always thought about changing my name to 'Captain Jonway', so...