Do you feel it's possible to grow out of gaming?

• While there are a number of things that stand in the way of an adult enjoying his/her favourite hobby, the term "to grow out of" is however defined as having matured past the ability to properly enjoy or learn from the subject in question.

The community here seems to me to have a lot of people in their 20's and 30's, so I would hope they would find the suggestion at least a tad insulting, yet I still see a high degree of this train of thought out there in grand scheme of things.

Growing out of movies, books or music seems absurd, yet I feel the same way of video games as a medium. Ignoring things like time restraint, why do you feel gaming still holds this stigma? And do you agree with it?

• Dont know i will ever grow out of gaming. im in late 20s reaching 30 soon. i probably play less due to time.

• My love of games is unfettered. I'm always impressed by the new technologies that the gaming industry puts into the market and how supportive gamers are of tech so we push the marketplace further than most other industries. I'm always impressed by new gameplay ideas, storytelling, and new ways of using the platform to redefine what can be done with "games".

With that said, I struggle to balance personal life, work life, and recreation. Health and wellness is very important and I want to create stronger exercise habits before I focus on allocating more time into gaming. Unless I win the lotto, I'll never sit down and play hours and hours like I did when I was in middle school. Tiredness can stop me from enjoying good games, as do other factors. I'm growing out of it relative to how much enjoyment I had as a child with no restraints. But the love is still there. I want to try and make a career around gaming so it will be forced into my daily life. Then I think I'd love it more than ever.

• People play games for a lot of reasons, so it can be almost anything that causes people to drop them as a hobby. I'd say that people who grow out of them are probably people who weren't fascinated by or drawn to the fundamental form of video games, but rather saw something in or through them that was really something else; and video games, being available when they were younger allowed them to access that thing.

So for example: bonding. I stopped caring about sports when I stopped spending time around other people who also followed them. I didn't have any motivation to do so on my own. I think there were a lot of people who liked games because it was something to do with friends---I think this is especially true for local multiplayer. I think this could be for true other people who observe stories that are interesting to them (but those kind of stories are better served in literature or film), or find aesthetics they enjoy (that are more prominent in visual arts) and so forth. Games are really accessible; if people don't have a console in their house the odds are they have a phone or means of mobile gaming.

And then the time factor comes into play too. A lot of games ask for time that some people just don't have. I know people who like reading who won't go near Anna Karenina; just like I know people who play games casually who wouldn't start Persona 5.

• @ringedwithtile

The bonding thing is very true. I only started watching NFL again with my roommate because we missed when we’d do that as kids. We used to surround ourselves with friends and family who care about sports but they are few and far between now.

I also think I got him into gaming more than he ever has been in his life. The proximity thing is really true.

• Like with anything, your relationship with gaming can change as you grow older and your life changes. I haven't played about 95% of the major releases from this generation, but I know that if I were in high school that would not have been the case. That doesn't mean I don't love video games anymore, it just means that I engage with them differently now. I listen/watch EZA stuff, play retro games because a lot of them are now available in a portable format, and am inarguably more engaged in the video game community more than I've ever been (that's a big reason why I like these forums so much). It's just that my life has swerved in such a way that I'm constantly moving and rarely financially stable enough to play games in the same way I used to. I'd wager that from an outside perspective, a lot of people would say that I've grown out of games, even if I don't personally view myself that way. So yeah, I think the phrasing is pedantic, but I do think it is possible to an extent.

• @naltmank said in Do you feel it's possible to grow out of gaming?:

So yeah, I think the phrasing is pedantic, but I do think it is possible to an extent.

I think wording is very important, so I personally don't consider it pedantic. I mean I love and agree with all the responses so far, but I wouldn't categorise any of the examples given as "having grown out of', they're simply changes in situation as far as I can see, ones that just so happen to coincide with what's....I guess, almost 'expected' of us as we get older. While I don't really expect to hear it from many people here, I do still believe there is a general stigma out there still that views gaming as something almost childish that you'd expect to one day give up on naturally. I've seen a couple of my friends wives make such comments about their husbands gaming activities, and while you could be thinking that it is simply the time being wasted that they are referring to, this was much more of an expectation that someday they are going to … well, grow out it, and I don't see the same comment being made if they spent a similar amount of time watching TV, they'd get a comment sure, but not the same one lol.

In a hypothetical scenario, where you had no need for a job, lived alone and had exactly the same commitments you had when you were a teenager, do you think you're view on and passion with gaming would likely change as you got older?

• @sheria said in Do you feel it's possible to grow out of gaming?:

In a hypothetical scenario, where you had no need for a job, lived alone and had exactly the same commitments you had when you were a teenager, do you think you're view on and passion with gaming would likely change as you got older?

Fair point. I think I'd play them more often than I do now, but I think I'd still make more room in life for my other interests as they developed. Kind of hard to say for sure, but I think my brain/tastes have changed a lot since I was a teenager. Most people would say the same. I agree with your overall point, though. It's pretty frustrating that people still view games as childish, and as something that we're expected to move on from due to, you know, being adults or whatever.

• Man. I have a long history with regards to this, and I want somewhere to start laying out my roots...so

I was a much more avid gamer, but I basically used my financial situation to stop hanging out and playing the games everyone played. I didn't really consider Minecraft a genuine game because it had no objectives, though because I didn't have any console I stopped playing games. To be honest, I don't think I went far - I still watched Lets Plays on Youtube
    I would - and still would like to do game design. But at the time I was disorganised and I wanted to take my frustration out on games, because I wanted to do game dev stuff and I thought it wasn't possible. I guess it is
    I'm confident in my skills as a game designer, and maybe I'll make a game that's good :P

• ^^^ Fuu if only I could edit this. What I'm trying to say is that it depends on the kind of player you are. I think a hell of a lot more people would be playing games if the games sphere wasn't alienating (legitimately if this community was around back then probably I'd be online)

• I personally don't see this term being used very often anymore. It seems pretty natural for people who were a child in the 80s or later to be still playing video games to a certain extend.