Losing my faith in gaming community

• Hello everyone, I'm going to get right to the point; I have lost my faith in so called AAA gaming industry a long time ago, but I believed into gaming community, I can no longer say so, and that includes Easy Allies.
    I remember hearing on one of Easy Allies podcasts that maybe it's ok for games to have micro transactions if they are cosmetic, or they don't intrude on gameplay and "Let the suckers pay for them". I think that most people have misconceptions about who actually buys them, because it's not rich people who have more money that they know what to do with, the people who actually buy them are the ones with addictive personalities.
    I have known my girlfriend since childhood, she isn't a bad person by any means, she tries to help others when she can, she loves playing video games and cooking, and she works as a nurse, but nobody is perfect and she has addictive personality, she is well aware of it and she never gambles. I wonder if people who say "Let the suckers buy the micro transaction" know how it feels when you have to unplug a PC to stop the person who you love most in the world wasting hers life savings on Overwatch lootcrates, followed by her crying in your arms for an hour, because my girlfriend is one of the "suckers" you people have been talking about.
    I can't believe that some people are ok with cosmetic micro transactions, did you guys forget about PS2 and older systems or something? And don't give me that "video games are too expansive to make" crap, they are not, and even if they are who asked for them to be so expensive? Does making every hair perfectly animated, or textures so sharp that you can look at them with magnifying glass on 4k display make the game more fun to play? The point is that games aren't too expensive to make, Activision and EA are reporting record high profits for year after year, and don't think that developers see any of that money, most of it goes to shareholders and ceos: Bobby Kotick earns more than 33 million, and Andrew Wilson more than 35 million dollars per year.
    And than there are reviews; for Red Dead Redemption 2 an Assassin's Creed Odyssey specifically. how could a game like Red Dead Redemption 2 be a 10, I would take off 0.2 points just for that tutorial, and there are a lot more little things that make RDR2 not a 10 game, what kind of message does giving a score that high to a game that doesn't deserve it send to the devs. And then there is Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the game built around micro transactions, it has a great story and really boring and grindy side quests, it reminds me of kingdom's of amalur, but unlike Amalur where you can ignore side quests and just play thru really fun main story, you hit a wall in asscreed that forces you to play very tedious side quests or pay up, how is that acceptable let alone worthy of 9/10?
    The thing that pushed me over the edge and a reason why I'm writhing this is Take-Two bullying TrustedReviews into paying £1 million over Red Dead Redemption 2 leak, a leak that was completely correct. Job of a journalists is to write and publish things that others don't want to be written and especially not published, there is only one word for that behaviour: fashist.
    How did we get here? Is it because toxic culture of hype and pre orders, to the point were some are treating work of journalists like a "spoiler" for a press conference, like a press conference is some sort of an artistic masterpeace and not 2 hours of corporate propaganda. How is this "the best" time to be a gamer when I hear kids saying "I'm skipping lunch, I need to buy ps store voucher for Fortnite skins", and good luck with borrowing games from your friends when they all came with season passes that are more expensive than the game itself.
    So I ask you even though I know the answer; How did we get here? Is it my fault for selling canned mountain air, or is it the fault of people who shower me with cash for empty cans?
    I was a gametrailers.com fan since 2004, I remember screwattack and a lot of early videos made by you guys, and I'm sad to say that even though Easy Allies is founded by community if feels more like corporate propaganda than GT ever did, then again the community might be the reason for it.
    Music was always the big part of my life and the songs that best describe how I feel about current state of gaming community are Losing My Religion by REM, followed by Not Your Kind Of People by Garbage.
    Although this post will probably get deleted by mods, or have a lot of negative replays in best case scenario, I just felt like writing it. I want to say that I don't hate or dislike Easy e. in any way, I think that Bosman, Ian and Don are creative geniuses, and Been and Daniel are excellent reviewers, And I'll continue to support and watch Easy Allies.

• Congratulations! You have just found out that you have an opinion. This is very much different from a fact as an opinion is a belief; it is normally subjective, meaning that it can vary based on a person's perspective, emotions, or individual understanding of something. It is not empirically true like a fact is. They think that microtransactions aren't a big deal, you (and I) disagree on that which is perfectly fine. They thought the game was worth a 10. You didn't. Get over it.

Everything you posted could literally be boiled down to "That's just like... your opinion man."

• Listen, I'm sorry about your girlfriend. Truly, I am. That said, that is a very specific situation that likely does not equate with most of the gaming population. Cosmetic micro-transactions are in most cases harmless, and your own personal situation involving them does not change that.

As Luka said above, most of your argument is simple opinion. Red Dead is a phenomenal game that many people feel is worth a 10. Just because you don't agree does not mean that they are wrong, or that the gaming community is dead. I've not played Odyssey, but I know plenty of people who would disagree with you on that point, as well.

Calling EZA corporate propaganda is absurd, and your argument has no legs to stand on. They just have a different opinion. Them agreeing with the big corporations on certain situations is not a bad thing, and is never done with malicious intent.

I would argue that the reason the gaming community is suffering is because of people like you. People who think that a differing opinion is "corporate propaganda." People who refuse to allow others to enjoy what they want to enjoy. People who are so disillusioned with gaming as a whole that they are unable to look at things positively. The list goes on and on.

Listen, I'm sorry if I come off as antagonistic. That is not my intention, but your argument is exceptionally flawed. Fundamentally so.

• Global Moderator

@sebastian-athea I'm not sure why you'd think a mod would delete your post, it's your opinion of the situation.

I do generally agree with Luka that this mostly comes across as you just disagreeing with someone else's opinion. I have no issue with cosmetic microtransactions personally and if that means games like Overwatch continue to receive free maps/characters every 2-3 months, than I'm all for it tbh. In fact I've bought Overwatch lootboxes once because I still play the game regularly and for me I was happy to give them more money for the work they did. I see where you're coming from but I think you're taking it too personally that EZA are calling your girlfriend a "sucker", they were not realistically talking about people like her.

The other thing I would just like to contest is what you said about Take-Two bullying TrustedReviews. TrustedReviews were completely in the wrong and admitted what they did was illegal. On top of that, the 1 million is all going to charity, it's not even going to Take-Two or Rockstar.

• @luka said in Losing my faith in gaming community:

Congratulations! You have just found out that you have an opinion. This is very much different from a fact as an opinion is a belief; it is normally subjective, meaning that it can vary based on a person's perspective, emotions, or individual understanding of something. It is not empirically true like a fact is. They think that microtransactions aren't a big deal, you (and I) disagree on that which is perfectly fine. They thought the game was worth a 10. You didn't. Get over it.

Everything you posted could literally be boiled down to "That's just like... your opinion man."

Dude, he's talking about his girlfriend's serious gambling addiction, the least you could do is dial back the sarcasm a bit.

• Global Moderator

@sebastian-athea I see a lot of perhaps frustration in your post?

There are a lot in todays gaming climate I dont agree with either. Especially loot boxes. Sometimes its good to vent and speaking up against what you think is wrong are completely fine.

I think a lot of the reasons we have gotten here are, partly because development are getting more expensive, but also us as customers are to blame. We buy it. Games companies are just that, companies. Their main goal is to make money. If we didnt buy it, they wouldnt supply it. Unfortunately there will be people that wants to take the easy route and buy it, or as you say got an addicting personality. I have been there myself, maybe not to the extent of your girlfriend, but I used to buy games despite not having the money for it. It sucks I know.

That said, I dont super mind micro transactions if they are done right. In Titanfall 2, they introduced "prime titans" where you essentially could buy another skin for your titan along with some unique colours and facepaint. I did buy a couple of these. However, there are already sooo many other camoes to unlock through gameplay, so I never felt limited or that I HAD to buy them.

I don't plan to start an argument or anything here, I just think that its ok as long as you know what you are getting (not "one random of these items) and that they doesnt effect gameplay.

• To be frank, I was pretty meh about most of gaming because of a growing contempt towards subjectivity and subjective analysis.

I can relate but it's about playing the best there is on offer. Honestly, jt probably took me seven or so years before I saw myself outside the loot crate box phenomena. But I think it's because of what f2p games there are - there are still full sized releases tbh (or just not worth grabbing addons).

I'm an ex game critic basically no longer really being sought after, and I suppose the jaded view would be because game design is second to market analysis.
    Alternatively people just don't have time for subjective stuff like making sure this stuff happens. You find something fun

• Microtransactions are here to stay because there are a lot of people who are like your girlfriend. Stop blaming others for what she did.
    I agree with Red Dead Redemption 2 not being a ten but you are taking reviews too seriously, it's just one persons opinion. There are still games that don't have microtransactions.

• @inflorescence Millions have gambling addictions. Nothing I stated was sarcastic.

• Personally, I like hearing gaming opinions all over the spectrum. I'll listen to Jim Sterling (who shares a lot of your sentiments) and then I'll listen to the other side, like EZA. Once I've gotten a few perspectives to inform my opinion, I try to form my own with what makes the most sense to me. In that sense, you end up learning a lot and become more accepting of other's viewpoints. It's basically love & respect and I'd never discount a gaming community that celebrates that ideal.

As far as addiction is concerned, it's best to seek professional help if it has gotten to that stage. A lot of games do employ similar strategies to gambling that can certainly affect a certain type of person and can quickly spiral out of control. However, I honestly don't view companies as THAT evil where they want to abuse their consumer base until everyone is institutionalized. I'm sure the intent is to entice consumers to buy occasionally when they have the funds to do so.

I would honestly say it is the best time for gaming because we currently have a wealth of riches. Not only do we have the current generation, we have all of the previous generations available too. Didn't have a chance to play a classic game? There's a chance it's being remade or put onto a collection for you to play. Want a gaming opinion? There's a million of them out there. Wanna just watch someone play a game? You can do that whenever you want now. To me, life in general is finding that balance between the positive and the negative and gaming is no different.

• I told my self that I won't replay on any of the comments, but I feel like I have to clarify some things; First I don't think that RDR2 is a bad game, far from it, it's one of the greatest games in years! I just don't think it's worthy of a 10/10, 9 - 9.5 sure, but not a 10. Asscreed on the other hand is completely unplayable, maybe I just suck at it, but everyone that's a level or two above me wipes the floor with me. I bought that game after watching EZA review, that's why it hurts.
    My girlfriend did seek professional help, but only thing they did was prescribing drugs, she refused to take them and I fully support her in that decision, she has strong enough character to stay away from gambling and it wasn't a problem till she started playing Owerwatch because her friends were playing it. The point is that micro transactions are designed to exploit people with that kind of personality, neither the industry nor the community or EZA threat those people like human beings, they even call them whales like animals to be harvested.

• @sebastian-athea said in Losing my faith in gaming community:
    And then there is Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the game built around micro transactions

Can you show me the receipts that AC: Odyssey was build around MTX? Because the game has the same progression rate as AC: Origins and that game did not have EXP boosters. So you're factually wrong.

• This post is deleted!

• @exist-2-inspire I saw the same thing stated on GAF. It seems that most people who make that complaint only do strictly the story missions and don't explore, do side missions, or complete the various activities (or do so very rarely). Completed the game myself and I had zero issues with leveling (though I have plenty else to criticize about that game).

• Global Moderator

@sebastian-athea You're completely misinterpreting what most people, including EZA are saying by whales. They do not mean people with gambling addictions, they mean people who have lots of money to spend and are happy to do so.

Again, it is very unfortunate the situation your girlfriend is in, but no one is saying they're happy that people like your girlfriend are floating the bill.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Losing my faith in gaming community:

You're completely misinterpreting what most people, including EZA are saying by whales. They do not mean people with gambling addictions, they mean people who have lots of money to spend and are happy to do so.

I can't believe that you just said that with a straight face. Can you point to a single person who can say "I'm so happy that I have spent thousands of $ on a single game."

• @sebastian-athea There are hundreds of people you can point to. Hell, I spent thousands on World of Warcraft and I am quite happy I did. It has brought me endless hours of joy. Same can be said for those who spent as much on League of Legends, Fortnite, or other games.

They exist, they have always existed.

• @luka said in Losing my faith in gaming community:

League of Legends, Fortnite
    Point taken, but I don't remember that WOW had micro transactions when I played it, and spending money on dlc and sub over 10s of years on wow isn't the same as blowing 1000$ in a week on a game that will be forgotten after a year or two.

• @sebastian-athea Pets, Mounts, faction changes, race changes, name changes, server changes, it all adds up. No different than buying cosmetic things in Fortnite/LoL.

• Global Moderator

@sebastian-athea When I say happy, I just mean they have no issue with paying for that. They'd prefer pay for it rather than earn it or get it in game. Whatever the case may be. I'm not that person but there are absolutely people out there who are fine with that.