I want to make a Box Peek Fan Game prototype - let's dream

• Box Peek's simple rules and great characters inspires and I think it would be really cool to make a small game where you can play box peek matches. Obviously if I had the resources it would be extremely cool to have all the characters and customize your own that would fit the universe and play increasingly hard matches against people of the different tiers the show lays out. The show does a great job explaining the rules and scope of the Box Peek game that can be drawn from.

I've spent way too much time these past few weeks thinking about the game, scope, tech and tons of other stuff. My brain seems to like this idea way too much.

My first two basic concepts are either a sidescrolling game:

..where you first see you and your opponents box and when it starts it zooms in on your box so you cant see whether the opponent peeks and then you can press space to peek or withdraw (after two seconds!). If you peek the camera zooms out to bring both into view.

or

a first person 3d game where you are in the box and press a button to peek and withdraw and the camera pops and lets you see out

This I feel is the MVP core gameplay to expand from. Let's see if I can play around in Unity and post something real at some point but the basics seem really simple and I've made 2 small commercial games before so I know how to make them if it comes to that but for now I'm just toying with the idea.

I'd love to hear your ideas and takes on what a game could be like.

• Kyle has said that the game would be boring. So if you make a game that has to be almost 0 matches of box peek amd made witg QTEs

• @iboshow well we haven't seen what rule #3 does with the game yet :) and yes I'm more interested in building it than making a fun game but maybe there is a way to make it fun. I think casual fans could enjoy it for a bit.

• Global Moderator

Yeah I would play a Box Peek game! Why would it have to be boring? first person sitting in the box, feeling the tension. I think it can be fun for a while! get those points. Imagine it getting support for VR!

• Global Moderator

Who's the first person to make Box Peek VR in Dreams?

• oh didn't get notified by replies. bummer.

@lotias exactly! I don't mean it'll be a huge success. Just a fun thing for fans of the game for a few minutes.

@tokeeffe9 good idea! when its out :)

Here's a couple of quick high concept sketches of the two perspectives to show how it could work.

Concept 1- Sidescrolling
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text

Concept 2 - First person
    alt text
    alt text
    alt text