Sony Skipping E3 2019

• Sony skipping E3 has me excited and disappointed. Excited because it could mean reveal of the PS5 disappointed because it could mean squat. They have their biggest games ready for release so they need to hold a press conference to promote these games in a big way and not showing up to the biggest stage of them all must mean they're going to blow out the PS5 reveal which tend to be boring to people because it's just a presentation with graphs etc.

"We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3." I think this quote means the big reveal will happen sometime between Jan-May 2019. They have 8 first party games still to come out and some more VR/PSN games as well.

• Days Gone
    • Dreams
    • MediEvil
    • MLB The Show 19
    • Death Stranding
    • Ghost of Tsushima
    • Monkey King: Hero Is Back
    • The Last of Us Part II
    • Patapon 2 Remastered
    • Concrete Genie
    • Everybody's Golf VR
    • Wild
    • Blood and Truth
    • Erica

• Shinobi tweeted a link to a Variety article that says Sony is skipping e3.

But then the article got pulled down.

Soooooo ps5 party announcement incoming?

• @tokyoslim
    Interesting to say the least, although I'm willing to bet there will be a PS5 reveal/ PS4 games conference thing just before or after E3.

• @tokyoslim

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/11/14/sony-interactive-entertainment-is-not-attending-e3-in-2019

"As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

• So more PSX type events and "Playstation Directs"? Alright

• Awww. Sony not being at E3 kinda ruins my Gamer Christmas. I like E3 for EVERYBODY'S announcements but I generally favour the big Sony studios with those big budget demos.

• What, or more specificially WHEN, Sony's next press conference is.... It'll probably be so stacked or a colossal flop. Extremely curious about what we see next.

Now I wonder what Microsoft is up to at this second.......

• When asked if Sony would push its event off-site, similar to how Electronic Arts provides a show adjacent to E3, PlayStation senior vice president of communications Jennifer Clark elaborated further saying, "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3."

Hmm... I have no idea what they are doing, but really the only thing that makes any sense to me is a hardware reveal that doesn't mesh well with the timing of E3. June would be too early for a Q1 2020 console tease, it would cannibalize almost the whole years worth of console sales.

• My guess is that they don't want to announce the PS5 that EARLY in the year, because it's not coming in 2019.

• @tokyoslim
    Like I said, probably a PSX style event to announce PS5 and other PS4/5 games.
    Which meshes well with the murmurs of PS5 being fully backwards compatible with PS4 games (some of which will get PS5 patches).
    While it might cansblize sales late 2019 early 2020, it will probably break even in the long run.

• Wow. This is crazy.

Maybe they'll show something in this year's Game Awards, then do a special PS5 announcement in early 2019 like you said? Or they're going the Nintendo Direct route and stream game announcements and such? They did say that they' re look for new ways to "engage with their community", whatever that means.

There's one thing i can say for sure though, this year's E3 just got way less interesting for me as a primarily PlayStation user. There's basically no competition for Microsoft's conference now if they're keeping last year's momentum steady. Not that it matters too much, i guess. I'll probably still wake up at 2am and watch E3 with the Allies when it comes around.

• @tokyoslim You could be right, they could announce PS5 after E3 because Days Gone releases in April. The rumours do say that the PS5 could release late 2019 - early 2020. There are already a lot of developers getting ready for the PS5 from job listings etc. so I don't think 2019 is out of the question. If the PS5 is coming out 2020 then why skip E3?

• This is so disappointing to me. As a big Sony fan, watching their presser Monday evening has become an E3 tradition and honestly the thing I look forward to most at E3. I assume they are planning on holding their own event, when it makes the most sense for them to announce PS5/new games but as a fan that really looks forward to their press conferences it's so disheartening that they aren't going to be at E3 and they skipped PSX this year. I wanna get hype about their coming hardware and games but with no date on when they plan on communicating this stuff I don't really have a time to look forward to these announcements.

Hope whatever they end up showing, whenever they show it, is worth breaking from these norms.

• They could have something smaller either before or after E3, or then just simply wait until PSX 2019 and lay it all out there big time. We pretty much know the "remaining" PS4 exclusives, so I guess they just don't feel the need to show the games again and again. And when it comes to PS5, summer could simply be too soon. So they'd have nothing new for E3.

Make the PSX 2019 massive with the final PS4 games and then BAM, tell us about that PS5. Wait for six months, let the hype rise, arrive in E3 2020 with the line-up games for the release, the date and price and all, and then we wait for a couple of months for the late 2020 and PS5.

• @themarcv I know what you mean, I usually take Tuesday(Australia time) off for Sony but it looks like I won't take time off for E3 next year unless something else happens. I wonder what this means for Activision and other studios that use Sony's big space. Is Destiny and COD going to be at E3 in a big presence?
    @sentinel-beach Sony generally announce hardware at its own event called Playstation Meeting. I don't think showing all these games for PS4 then announce a PS5 at the end is good for business.

• @iboshow
    Same with me, I normally take the Mon-Wed off for E3. It's easily one of my favorite times of the year where we all get to geek out with excitement over our favorite hobby (for me at least) but without Sony I'll probably just work through it this year. Hey, on the bright side, ill have some more vaca days to play with new year.

• Yeah. My interest in watching E3 next year has dropped significantly.
    Oh well. Maybe Microsoft will pull a repeat of last year and essentially have Sony's conference for them by showing nothing but multiplats.

• Hopefully they do end up doing something else.
    As a Playstation owner, with nothing else, it stings, especially since we already lost PSX this year.
    I need my hit of PS hype

• It'll be interesting to see how this affects the Allies' plans. E3 is obviously the biggest time of year for them, specifically Sony, considering that is what they mainly care about. Maybe they'll be able to do a little more around Nintendo to try and make up for it. Kind of a bummer since it will likely be their first E3 back in a Studio situation and they could use the spotlight.

• Considering how much of an embarrassment their last E3 conference was (and frankly in my opinion they are in general right now) I don't see this as a big loss. Cutting both this and PSX tells me something big is going down, one way or another. Probably just waiting for the right time to do a blowout for a PS5 reveal though.