EZA curates December games: What are you anticipating? What's worth checking out?

• A thread for sharing new games coming out in December...

As the year winds down so do new releases, but gather up the interesting ones we shall.

Did you discover some small game that not everyone knows about?
    Share that and let us know what it is about!

Already know a thing or two that interests you?
    Make a list (or a swanky desire index) of your interests and/or possibles!

Don't know what's so great about an upcoming game you keep hearing about?
    Ask here!

Don't follow gaming news that closely and just want to passively see what BigGames™ people care about?
    This is the place!

~

Going into more detail:

The basic idea is to list new games that you are interested in, as well as games you are potentially curious about or want to give wider attention to. You can briefly describe them or ask other people to help fill you in. The hope is that regular threads like these can act as a collective filter/discovery mechanism to help people decide what is worth checking out.

"New games" means any new title that is being released or ported this month in any capacity (not "backlogs/what you are playing this month"). The angle here is sharing your anticipation and promoting game discovery (as opposed to sharing comments about a first playthrough in progress - that belongs elsewhere).

• If you want a handy list that covers most of the major upcoming games of the month, here's one text list. Feel free to post other lists or list videos that you find useful.
    • Final request: If you are the first person to mention a game please provide (at minimum) a short sentence description. (If it is a very big AAA release though, then don't worry about it.) This is a good convention that makes the thread more useful as a discovery mechanism, and especially helps out anyone who doesn't follow the news as closely as you.

• There's some half-baked PlayStation All-Stars clone coming out on Switch that I might give a shot

• I have never played one of them but the 'remastered' version of one of the Atelier trilogies came out today for PC, PS4 and Switch, though it seems the PC version was taken down temporarily. Most of the descriptions I hear about these is that they are pretty chill games which are fun to pass the time, essentially the comfort food of JRPGs, I'm finding the whole collection a bit pricey with no previous experience but each separate one at 40$ seems decent enough for me and I'll likely try it out on switch sometime soon.

Youtube Video

• Just Cause 4 and the Persona Dancing games for me this month. Not much detail needed really, we know what these are :)

• @bard91
    I love this series. I have played them all, bearing the stares of ever game store clerk looking at me like I'm a creep. But, i feel i should warn you, they are timed. You are giving an over arcing goal to accomplish then you have in-game years to get it done. There is normally enough time to complete all your goals and have time to mess around but i know some people hate being timed while playing a game. Honestly I hate being timed, But I have always loved the Atelier series and the Mana Khemia series. They are fun games, though.

• @zrail oh I'm fairly well informed on how the series works even though I haven't played them, I've done a little research and the following video in particular I thought it was pretty good to learn about the series for anyone interested.

Youtube Video

I can't say without having played them but I don't believe being time is something I would necessarily hate, I've liked similar mechanics in the past.

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the biggest game this month on my radar. I've grown into a fair weather smash fan with past iterations, but what interests me in Ultimate is the prospect of a big, engaging single player mode. Maybe I'm a dummy, but that The World of Light trailer has given me high expectations.

I'm probably more interested though in the indie title Battle Princess Madelyn. It's a 2d action platformer that pays direct homage to the Ghosts 'n Goblins series. I love the GnG series and I've played a lot of the indie inspired / spiritual successors. Is it just me or have there been so many over the years that this is practically its own subgenre? All that is missing is a good name. "GnG-'em ups"?

Finally, count me in as curious about Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom (which, for those paying attention, is neither 'Wonder Boy' nor 'Monster World' :P). Another retro spiritual successor, but this is a full-on 2d sidescrolling action rpg adventure/metroidvania. I will confess that out of the entire WB/MW franchise, the only entry that I've played all the way to completion is Monster World IV, so my enthusiasm for this new one is at milder levels.

• +1 to Monster Boy and Battle Princess Madelyn!

There's also Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

It's an XCOM-like game but with real-time world exploration and stealth, you only enter turn-based combat when you're openly fighting enemies. The reviews are good overall and many praise the world and the writing, although the difficulty seems a bit harsh.

Youtube Video

• I would love to give Mutant Year Zero a chance as it looks really cool and it seems like it was pretty well executed, but there's just no way I'm gonna make time for it right now, and it seems to be extremely under the radar so I don't know how well it will end up doing.

• @bard91 Got Mutant year zero on Game pass. It's real fun, but not to complex. I do like how it does stealth in a tactics game. It's how i wanted Xcom 2 to work. That being said I've died like 4 times in the first 2 hours, the game is punishing.

• Gonna pick up Smash and Guacamelee 2 on Switch.

Will hopefully grab Hitman 2 and Tetris Effect on sale for PS4/VR.