Help/Questions about Pokemon games on New 3ds

• I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Getting the new 3ds soon. Would like to get back into the Pokemon games. (Brandon and Kyle are to blame)
    Currently having a hard time finding out which games are compatible with the new 3ds.

I've only played Red, and I know that's available as a digital download, but what about the other games?

When I search on google I cant even find a definitive list of Pokemon games that will play on the New 3ds.
    Will all of the main rpg series work? I'm guessing no... Also, what's with the insane prices of some of the older games?
    Soulsilver is 90 bucks on Amazon! Is that the only way to buy it new? Or is that available digitally?

Finally, Allies, what would you all recommend I play first? I've been looking into Soul Silver, B/W, B/W 2, X/Y, Omega Ruby.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

• Compatible with the New 3DS:
    Generation 1(Virtual Console): Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Generation 2 Remake: Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver

Generation 3 Remake: Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Generation 4:Pokemon Diamond/ Pokemon Pearl/ Pokemon Platinum

Generation 5: Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2

Generation 6: Pokemon X/Y

Generation 7: Pokemon Sun/Moon

Heartgold and Soulsilver came with a pedometer called the Pokewalker that let you walk around racking up steps and training Pokemon kinda like Pokemon Go, new copies probably come with the Pokewalker which is why that one is so expensive in particular. But the older games are just expensive in general because of the high demand and low supply, maybe you could check out a physical game store instead of online, you might get a good deal if they are trying to sell off their stock of DS games.

Thanks for the all info! You are incredibly helpful!

Any suggestions on where to pick it back up? I've only beat Red and Yellow, and that was a looong time ago.

Also, do I need to play B/W before B/W 2? Is it a must? Or is it similar to Yellow, in that its almost the exact same game.

• My personal favourite is Heart Gold/Soul Silver, it has some really cool features that had not been seen before or have ever since those games. In my opinion it is the "fullest" game in the series in terms of locations, and art style wise I'd say it's also the pinnacle of the series with it's beautiful sprite work.

B2/W2 is a Pokemon Yellow situation where the game is rebalanced, has additional features and new story elements. So you don't need to play the first one to play the second.

Groovalicious. I know where I'm starting off then... Soul Silver, here I come babay!

Thanks again for your input.

• If you want to try one of the newer games, I recommend X and Y. Trainer customization is very good and the difficulty is up to you by turning the Experience Share on and off. It's for 3DS and you can usually find it used anywhere.

• @liftedpixel

Oooh snap.

You had me at "Trainer customization". I'm diggity down. That one also appears to be cheaper and easier to find.

Thanks fo the info!

• Black and White 2 isn't really a Yellow/Crystal/Emerald situation, since it has it's own story, and a new playable protagonist. As its name suggests, it's a sequel, not a better version. It's definitely a game worth playing, but it's not a replacement for Black and White. @Mr-Piddles

• While people are asking about the new pokemon games, the last gen I played was Diamond and Pearl.
    Is there anyway of games and transfers to bring those pokemon to sun and moon?

• @parasitepaladin You will need a gen 5 game, and two DSs, two 3DSs or a DS and 3DS to transfer Pokemon from 4th to 5th gen. Then, you would download the Pokemon Transporter on the 3DS (which is free!) to bring them from 5th gen to either Pokemon Bank, or the gen 6 games.

After that, it's unclear at the moment how you will bring Pokemon to Sun and Moon if you don't have Pokemon Bank. Otherwise, you would just transfer Pokemon from the Bank directly to Sun and Moon.

If you want to rekindle your love of Pokemon, it would be great to play gen 5 anyway. Any reason you stopped at 4th gen?

• @Hero-of-Lime Thank you very much! Okay, so I need two various DSs and a gen 5 game. Also probably pokemon bank? Thank you!
    Is Gen 5 black and white 1/2 or X and Y?

Why did I stop? Good question. I think I hit a point where I wanted to aim for shorter games and try to get through my backlog. A 80 hour RPG would have been too much. Also, I also think I was probably burned out a bit with pokemon for whatever reason.

• @parasitepaladin Happy to help! It's a pretty intense process when you cross a few gens like that. I hope you have the time to catch up, you are lucky you have two whole new generations to see before Sun and Moon! c:

• @Hero-of-Lime

Alrighty, that's good to know!

This forum provides much better knowledge than google and youtube. I had such a hard time getting the specifics until I posted here.

• @Mr-Piddles Have fun with Soul Silver, it's the best in the series!

• @Mr-Piddles Also consider some of the better spinoffs such as Snap, TCG, the Mystery Dungeon games, and Stadiums 1 and 2 if you can get your hands on them. All but the Stadium games are either available on 3DS or Wii/Wii U virtual console.

As for order for playing the main series, you can do it one of two ways. Either start with the oldest game, so the originals, then D/P/Pt, then HG/SS, then BW followed by BW2, then XY, and last SuMo. Or go with generation order which is listed in a post above, but be aware that quality will shoot randomly all over the place this way since two of the games are remakes that came out during different periods. Also be aware that you should probably play third versions if given the chance, so at the very least Platinum over Diamond and Pearl. Unfortunately, there's not a good way for you to play the third version of Generation 3, Emerald. This version has arguable the best part of the Hoenn Region, the Battle Frontier, which is not present in the Gen 3 remakes Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Maybe eventually they'll release Gen 2 and 3's older titles on Virtual Console, but without grabbing a Gameboy Advance just for that the only way to play them until then is through emulation, which is easy but also backdoor shady.

• @Mr-Piddles I played Pokemon Red for the first time on the 3DS. Now I am moving to HeartGold and Then Omega Ruby. I heard that each generation added different mechanics. So a jump from Red to Sun/Moon would be brutal.

• @Alex840

Always happy to hear people say that!
    I actually had some luck today, and found a near mint copy at a local game store. Didn't have the Pokewalker accessory, but I only paid 36 fo it... which was a STEAL.

Seeing it on Amazon and eBay for nearly 100 bucks had me slightly concerned... still can't quite believe I actually found a decent copy. :O

• @Elazar_DE Omega Ruby is pretty meh. I'd say you're better off playing Platinum.

• @Mr-Piddles wow, $36 is really cheap. HG/SS have held value like a motherfucker!

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.