Hades an early access SuperGiant game (PC)

• Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler from the creators of Bastion and Transistor, in which you defy the god of death as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth.

Youtube Video

for now, its early access is Epic store exclusive for $20. Full release will be coming to other unannounced platforms.

faq: https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/hades-faq/

• I have loved everything these guys have done so far. I took the dive into this yesterday and am not disappointed. I have never participated in an early access before but I do not doubt that Supergiant games will deliver what they are promising. There is already enough here to justify your $20. It feels like Bastion with tighter controls and more randomization.

• Hello! First time on the forums and this seemed like as good a place as any to jump in. I watched quite a bit of gameplay of Bastion but didn't play myself, and unfortunately have seen very little of Transistor other than the GT trailer back in the day. I just recently got a new PC as an Xmas gift courtesy of my older brother, and am looking for some new games. I saw the trailer for this during the Game Awards stream and I gotta say I'm intrigued. @Ozymandsss I'm glad you posted about this because I wasn't sure if this would be worth diving into. I also haven't participated in early access before but for 20 bucks I think I just might!

• @shilentshniper This team of 8 is honestly some of the most talented working in the industry. If you have never played any of their games, I would encourage you to start with one of their full releases however, because as it stands right now, much of what makes their work phenomenal (story, music, writing) is relatively incomplete in Hades as it stands. This is not meant to discourage you from playing Hades if it intrigues you, only to say that you cannot possibly go wrong with Bastion, Transistor or Pyre (the last of which is an incredible departure from the other two, being half visual novel and half fantasy sports game.) Most of Supergiant's games go on sale very frequently, whether it's a steam sale, or whatever your preferred digital outlet is so you should be able to dip your toes on the cheap. I hope you like them as much as I do!

• @shilentshniper said:

I watched quite a bit of gameplay of Bastion but didn't play myself, and unfortunately have seen very little of Transistor other than the GT trailer back in the day.

Bastion is an absolute classic and holds up. Slap Steam on that new PC, and once their winter sale starts you should be able to pick it up pretty cheap. Transistor I can't recommend as highly, but it is almost worth the asking price for the atmosphere alone. Still never got around to Pyre, but that one has a great soundtrack, especially the last track, but don't listen to it if you plan to play the game because spoilers. If you're into arcade-type sports games, I think it is worth a shot. Haven't played Hades yet myself, but kind of excited to get to play one of their games early access and see it take shape. These devs have proven how consistent they are, so you know by the time it is fully developed it'll be quality, and your feedback could influence that final product.

All that said, listened to the soundtrack for this game on Youtube, and it really didn't do anything for me like their past three game's soundtracks. It's just okay, like a 7.

• I really enjoyed Bastion, Transistor just didn't click with me and Pyre I never tried out. I'm not much of a PC guy so I won't really be considering this game till it hits consoles but I dunno. The trailer's gameplay didn't really do much for me.

I think super giant is an insanely talented indie dev, I love their art and music, but last couple games just didn't appeal to me. However, I do think them being exclusive on the Epic store is so smart and I wish them all the best. Maybe when Hades hits consoles I'll be foaming at the mouth for it, time will tell.

• For me, the list goes Transisitor > Pyre > Bastion. All three are excellent in different ways, but Darren Korb is one of the best composers in the business right now. Waiting for Hades to come out of early access and then I'll hop on board gladly.

• @ozymandsss Thanks! Maybe I'll see what kind of price they have on Bastion and dedicate some time to that. I am trying to finish up AC Odyssey and I have RD2 waiting in the wings, but I think it would be nice to play something in between those two huge games.

• @mbun I definitely think that the sound track for a game contributes so heavily to its "vibes", and can really make or break your experience with the game. I am not so sure about Pyre, having looked into some gameplay videos I'm just not convinced its for me, but that being said I'll have to check out the soundtrack. For now I will keep an eye on Steam and see what kind of deals they have for the winter sale. Thanks!

• @shilentshniper Trust me when I say that once you start RDR2, it will be a loooong time before you play anything else. I think a good plan would be a supergiant game like Bastion or Transistor (both shorter than Pyre), RDR2, and then a palate cleanser with another supergiant game (provided you liked your first one.)

All of the above are correct in that Darren Korb's music is best-in-class and heavily contribute to the success of these games, along with Jennifer Zee's unique art styles for each. I also caution you about listening to the OSTs before playing the games because believe it or not, the music, particularly the vocal tracks, may well be considered spoilers.

I will say that I also about wrote-off Pyre when I saw trailers. I was put off by the visual novel format and the NBA Jam type gameplay. But after playing it, it may well be my favorite Supergiant game. The characters, music and art are SO memorable that you dont mind the novel sequences and the "sports" sequences are incredibly clever and engaging.

So, sure, start with Bastion but understand that they only got better and better and what they do in subsequent games.

• I think Pyre may be my favorite too.

• @Ozymandsss I will definitely take that advice. I am not the type of person who can play multiple games at the same time and stay engaged (with the exception of games like Forza, which I can jump in and out of at any time), and so when I start RDR2 I will want to give it my full attention. Also I will try to take what you said about Pyre into consideration.

• Just an update: GOG is having their winter sale starting today thru Jan. 3rd. Just picked up Bastion for $3.79!

• @shilentshniper Yes! Please post us your thoughts!

• @ShilentShniper PS. looks like Transistor is $5 down from $20 on GOG so if you think there's even a remote chance you will play it later, looks like a good time to buy

• @ozymandsss Way ahead of you! I didn't mention it but I picked it up the same day I got Bastion. I think I spent less than 10 bucks for both of them. Definitely excited to give both games a try.

• NoClip makes some really stellar game docs and they've decided to follow Hades throughout its year of early access. First episode is up and is fantastic.

Youtube Video