What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?

• In terms of enjoyment I've gotten and how much I've spent on them, I have to say Xenoblade 2 and DQ 11, paid full price for both and didnt like either at all.

Probably made some actual worse purchases for PS2 ganes back in the day, but those were all pirated copies that were like 4$ a game, so not as big of a deal

• @bard91 said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

In terms of enjoyment I've gotten and how much I've spent on them, I have to say Xenoblade 2 and DQ 11, paid full price for both and didnt like either at all.

Probably made some actual worse purchases for PS2 ganes back in the day, but those were all pirated copies that were like 4$ a game, so not as big of a deal

Wow, what a shock.

Outside of my retro purchases, Xenoblade 2 and its DLC are the most worthwhile purchases I've made this generation.

• @sheria I didn't even know there was a PS1 version! I think I paid like $100 Canadian for the N64 version. Sigh, so many other good games I could have had instead.

• Far too many times, I have binged on a Steam sale only to never play any of the games I bought. I have wasted so much money that way.

As far as individual games go, I would have to say Monster Hunter: World. It is not a bad game by any means, but after about three hours of playing I just realized it wasn't for me. I spent $60 that could have gone to better things, on a game I don't like.

• Shadow of the Colossus/ICO collection on PS3 due to controls and Fuse for 360 because blindly going in on a game because of a developer (and not doing do diligence in regards to publisher) is an... interesting... lesson to learn.

• @crimsonviper said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

Interesting to see the Witcher on here though. I have plenty of untouched single player games.

Not really, considering who posted it.

But back to the topic!

Diablo 3.
    Mind you this game went on to become one of my favorite and most played games of this AND last gen, but D3 at launch was a fucking unholy abomination. Gameplay mechanics and itemization were entirely built around the auction house, so unless you were rich enough to buy your way into gear, or just plain stupidly lucky with rolls, there was basically zero chance for you to enjoy the meta.

Then around 1.6 (or whatever the patch was before Reaper of Souls was) they removed the auction house and completely changed how itemization works.
    For an idea of what this means, I spent about 100 hours playing the game pre 1.6 and found zero legendaries. Post 1.6 I found a legendary in my first 20 minutes of booting up the game.

I've since gone on to have 6 fully geared 70s across two platforms (platinum'd on PS4) and have easily spent at least 1200 hours on the game.

But fuck me was launch D3 baaad.

• @el-shmiablo said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

@crimsonviper said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

Interesting to see the Witcher on here though. I have plenty of untouched single player games.

Not really, considering who posted it.

its because its most overrated and boring game of this generation. the combat is just simply bad and controls are terrible. it doesnot matter if it has nice graphics or lore or story when developers cant make a decent gameplay.

• @el-shmiablo

My roommate found Aliens Colonial Marines on PS3 for $5 in a wire bin at Canadian Tire this summer and we played it in one sitting and had a blast. We've been hyping up the game for years ever since we watched Angry Joe's review and couldn't believe how awful it looks. His review was on PC which is a renaissance painting compared to how ugly, framey, screen teary, and low-fi audio-y, it is on PS3. It was so shit that we had a great time. Same can be said about buying Shellshock 2 from the EB Games discount bin in like 2011. That game is sooooooooo bad that its beyond hilarious every step of the way. A MUST PLAY if you ask me.

I can probably think of a few rentals that I returned immediately. I was only 7 years old when Resident Evil ReMake came out on GameCube. I followed coverage of the game all year in my Tips & Tricks magazine subscription (possibly Nintendo Power, I had a few subs back then). I thought it looked soooo cool. I went to the Blockbuster to rent it. Put it in. Ran around the foyer of the mansion where I tried to exit through the front door and the dogs game in and attacked me. I was so scared I tensed up and just looked away from the screen until my heart calmed down and I just turned the game off to breathe.

Took it back to the store and exchanged it for Super Mario Sunshine and the rest is history.

• The three worst games I've ever bought (or played in general, really) are Magical Drop V, Hyperdimension Neptunia and Sonic Heroes. Magical Drop V in particular is one of those games that burned me so hard I actually pushed it out of my mind and forgot I ever even made that mistake of buying it until I heard about the Toki remake and remembered seeing an ad for it at the end of that trashheap.

• value for money, FIFA 18, i rarely buy FIFA games, my brother convinced me. But i haven't touched that game since last year and paid like 30 bucks for it

• Also, my parents said I could get a game back in the day. I was obsessed with Pokemon in 1999/2000 as any 5-6 year old would be. I picked Pokemon Snap for the N64. I took it home and I played it and didn't understand what the game was or what I was supposed to be doing. I think I beat it, and just kept replying it or re-doing missions and I wasn't sure if the game was working. I asked my parents to help but they didn't understand the point either. I didn't know games could be like that or that things like Snap could even be considered games.

That was back in the day when you could actually return games let alone bad ones, so I returned it that day and the guy at the store who clearly didn't play games was trying to figure out what was wrong with it because lots of others were returning it too. I think my parents said "it didn't work" hahaha. Looking back thats a really funny exchange between a 6 year old, his confused parent, and a confused Wal-Mart employee.

We exchanged it for Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer which brought my step sisters and I years and years of sheer enjoyment. Amazing game.

• Borderlands 2 for Vita as a birthday present for my brother.

• @b-cell said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

it doesnot matter if it has nice graphics or lore or story when developers cant make a decent gameplay.

To you.
    While I'm not going to write home about The Witcher's combat, it's fantastically fleshed out world, superb characters and great story we're more than enough to help me overlook some slightly lacklustre combat.

I'm not even saying you have to like the game, or that you can't prioritize certain aspects over others, but I'm honestly tired of watching you make blanket statements about games/genres/companies/etc and giving the same lame excuses over and over again, and you rarely ever expand upon your points past "is bad me no likely".

You are super hardcore PC master race elite gamer who plays mature games for a mature gamer such as yourself and adheres to the /v/ approved list of "games you are allowed to like".
    We get it.
    Please stop.

BUT HEY, VIDEOGAMES.

In a complete 180 to my post about Diablo 3, I present to you Marvel Heroes.
    This is basically how I feel about D3, but in reverse.
    The game was really great in the beginning, and I'll be honest I spent a fair amount of money on it because of how much I enjoyed it, but near the end of the game's lifecycle they completely changed how many of the game's systems worked and casualized the shit out of it in a clear move to cater towards more casual players. I'm talking about entirely removing the skill point system and changing how most characters played to the point where I wasn't even sure what I was doing.
    They also removed the ability to purchase certain non-Disney owned characters, so that just goes to show you how fucked things were and how The Mouse was probably a big reason for the game's downfall.
    The game was shut down shortly after it was released on consoles, so all that time and money was completely wasted.

sigh
    I miss him.

• Here's a hot take - The Witcher 1 is my favourite game in the entire series and it has by far the worst combat. The graphics were ok at the time, but the story and lore made up for the bad combat 100x over.

• @dipset It was forever ago but I've beat that thing with my PC running at less than 10 fps at times, still a great time, though nowhere near the incredible game that was Witcher 3 for me.

• @bard91

Sure, I respect that. I just loved the way each chapter had a gripping beginning, middle, and end, with some really serious social commentary sprinkled in-between. My main point is to rebuttal BC saying The Witcher 3 can't be enjoyed because the combat is bad.

• @dipset said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

Here's a hot take - The Witcher 1 is my favourite game in the entire series and it has by far the worst combat. The graphics were ok at the time, but the story and lore made up for the bad combat 100x over.

imo TW2 was only decent game. first witcher was pretty bad, second one was ok and third one was ubisof inspired open world action game with bad combat.

CDPR imo has to be one of the most overrated developers today next to rockstar. even cyberpunk looks average yet before the gameplay many journalist were hyping it like "OMG best thing we have ever seen".. but it doesnot impressed me at all.

• Final Fantasy XV. Bought Ultima Collection which cost 270€, put 110 hours into it and hate to remember what hot garbage the story and the whole thing was. Sure I put hours in it but I wish I had never played it.

• @b-cell

Yeah but you also observed Cyberpunk gameplay to be a bullet-spongey which isn't even true.

• Please people, rule 1 of this forum is to not debate with @B-Cell