What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?

• Borderlands 2 for Vita as a birthday present for my brother.

• @b-cell said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

it doesnot matter if it has nice graphics or lore or story when developers cant make a decent gameplay.

To you.
    While I'm not going to write home about The Witcher's combat, it's fantastically fleshed out world, superb characters and great story we're more than enough to help me overlook some slightly lacklustre combat.

I'm not even saying you have to like the game, or that you can't prioritize certain aspects over others, but I'm honestly tired of watching you make blanket statements about games/genres/companies/etc and giving the same lame excuses over and over again, and you rarely ever expand upon your points past "is bad me no likely".

You are super hardcore PC master race elite gamer who plays mature games for a mature gamer such as yourself and adheres to the /v/ approved list of "games you are allowed to like".
    We get it.
    Please stop.

BUT HEY, VIDEOGAMES.

In a complete 180 to my post about Diablo 3, I present to you Marvel Heroes.
    This is basically how I feel about D3, but in reverse.
    The game was really great in the beginning, and I'll be honest I spent a fair amount of money on it because of how much I enjoyed it, but near the end of the game's lifecycle they completely changed how many of the game's systems worked and casualized the shit out of it in a clear move to cater towards more casual players. I'm talking about entirely removing the skill point system and changing how most characters played to the point where I wasn't even sure what I was doing.
    They also removed the ability to purchase certain non-Disney owned characters, so that just goes to show you how fucked things were and how The Mouse was probably a big reason for the game's downfall.
    The game was shut down shortly after it was released on consoles, so all that time and money was completely wasted.

sigh
    I miss him.

• Here's a hot take - The Witcher 1 is my favourite game in the entire series and it has by far the worst combat. The graphics were ok at the time, but the story and lore made up for the bad combat 100x over.

• @dipset It was forever ago but I've beat that thing with my PC running at less than 10 fps at times, still a great time, though nowhere near the incredible game that was Witcher 3 for me.

• @bard91

Sure, I respect that. I just loved the way each chapter had a gripping beginning, middle, and end, with some really serious social commentary sprinkled in-between. My main point is to rebuttal BC saying The Witcher 3 can't be enjoyed because the combat is bad.

• @dipset said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

Here's a hot take - The Witcher 1 is my favourite game in the entire series and it has by far the worst combat. The graphics were ok at the time, but the story and lore made up for the bad combat 100x over.

imo TW2 was only decent game. first witcher was pretty bad, second one was ok and third one was ubisof inspired open world action game with bad combat.

CDPR imo has to be one of the most overrated developers today next to rockstar. even cyberpunk looks average yet before the gameplay many journalist were hyping it like "OMG best thing we have ever seen".. but it doesnot impressed me at all.

• Final Fantasy XV. Bought Ultima Collection which cost 270€, put 110 hours into it and hate to remember what hot garbage the story and the whole thing was. Sure I put hours in it but I wish I had never played it.

• @b-cell

Yeah but you also observed Cyberpunk gameplay to be a bullet-spongey which isn't even true.

• Please people, rule 1 of this forum is to not debate with @B-Cell

• Gone Home, I paid half price and wasn't satisfied.

• FFXV

It's years later and the story still isn't finished on this thing. Couple that with "hold square to win" combat and you have the most lackluster Final Fantasy I've experienced.

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

I honestly believe any child out there, any single one, could write a better story than what is told here. And while Fire Emblem isn't truly loved for its story, even the mission design gets absolutely lazy in the second half. Every battle has endless reinforcements at that point, even if it doesn't make sense contextually. I've then had people tell me to truly appreciate this game, you need to play the other two parts.... no. Just no.

• Sonic 2006

• @el-shmiablo said in What's the worst video game purchase you've ever made?:

To you.

to lots of people actually. you may as well just get popcorn and watch a movie instead.

• Maybe Dead or Alive 3, which I played a little to "get the hang of", then as soon as I went online every single attack of mine was getting countered, and I was being flung off ledges. But I returned it, so that wasn't too bad.

The real answer is probably Smash Bros. for 3DS, because I should've just waited for the Wii U version, but also because playing it broke my 3DS's circle pad since they aren't designed for the intensity of Smash Bros.

Dynasty Warriors for PSP is another good candidate. That game straight up shouldn't exist.

• Honestly between the stage selection and the vastly superior Smash Run compared to Smash Tour I'm tempted to argue Smash 3DS is a better game than Smash Wii U.

• @hanabi Maybe, but Smash was still never meant to be played with a circle pad, and there's no way around it.

• Nintendo Switch. I knew it would be a system for a couple of games, since I don't like Nintendo's stuff, but after Mario+Rabbids I was hoping that there will be more of that. 2018 went by and there was nothing for me, even announced. Also turned out Nintendo has no clue that games should go on sale after a couple of month, especially during Black Friday, and Switch's UI and general usability is so bad, that I feel disgusted even thinking playing games on it. I would sell it, but I don't know anyone who have even remote interest in Nintendo (some gamers I've talked even don't know about such company) and every gaming shop I've check, doesn't accept Nintendo's consoles for trade-in (probably for the same reason). Selling it outside of Russia on eBay is also not possible, since Russian Post will most likely steal it when I ship it. So I'm stuck with $400 brick I don't want to touch.

• @ffff0 said:

after Mario+Rabbids I was hoping that there will be more of that

Well there's the DLC for that, which is literally more of that. Then there's other strategy games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 or Into the Breach. Fire Emblem Three Houses is coming early next year too. Sometime next year is Wargroove too. Hopefully one day we get a new Advance Wars, because the Switch is literally the perfect system for it.

also turned out Nintendo has no clue that games should go on sale after a couple of month, especially during Black Friday

Nintendo sales have always been pretty bad, but they did have some stuff for Black Friday, Game Awards, and probably some holiday offerings if that hasn't already started. The Nintendo way though is you waiting 4+ years, then the $60 games become $20 games.

Switch's UI and general usability is so bad, that I feel disgusted even thinking playing games on it

Now that I genuinely don't know what you're talking about. Boots up super fast and gets you right in the game.

Hopefully you can find stuff you enjoy on it. Don't be afraid to tap into the indies. There's really good stuff in there.

• @mbun Thanks for keeping my spirit up. I indeed want to buy Mario+Rabbids DLC. I also have interest in Korg Gadget but I'm waiting for sale.

As for the bad UI I'll give you just two examples:

1. I've downloaded some demos, played them, deleted them. Several month later I was checking eShop for new demos and there were no indication that I've already tried some of them (in PS and Xbox they are marked as purchased), so I've ended up wasting time on downloading stuff I've already tried.
    2. One of the demos was for Snipperclips. I've launched it, got an error that it's not supporting Pro controller. I wanted to close the game, but Switch disconnected my controller and refuses to reconnect it, because it's not supported. So just to close this game I was forced to go and search for Joy-Cons. Can you imagine having to connect Kinect to Xbox One just to close Kinect-only game?

• @ffff0 said:

I've ended up wasting time on downloading stuff I've already tried

You can't remember what you've tried before? I know there's redownload section, but might not work for free downloads?

Snipperclips

I think that's like the only example of that particular problem, which yea was annoying, but I don't think it has happened since with anything else. That's more a problem with a poorly conceived Snipperclips demo than the Switch itself. Also, the Switch is designed for you to always have the Joycons attached anyways, so not sure why you're roaming around without them on it. They even charge on it, so that doesn't make sense as an excuse either.