Let's Vote for our GOTY 2018!

• It's this time of the year!

Let's all vote and collectively rank the games of 2018 and determine who the true GOTY is (The Game Awards don't really count).

Here are the rules:

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, so no worries if you haven't played (or liked) that many games this year.

Votes are secret, so please send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum and don't post them here.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) in 2018, with the following caveats:

• Games that came out prior to 2018 and were ported to new platforms in 2018 (such as Battle Chasers: Nightwar on Switch) are not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions (like Civilization VI: Rise and Fall) are also not eligible.
    • Stand-alones (such as Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country) are eligible.
    • Full remakes (like Shadow of the Colossus or Spyro Reignited Trilogy) are eligible.

I've compiled a list of eligible games, check it out in the post below. They're sorted by release month, although this might not always be accurate because of different platforms. I've tried to be as exhaustive as possible but if a game you liked is not in this list and fits the criteria, feel free to vote for it!

I'm opening the votes earlier than usual in order to cast a wider net and give more chance to people who don't visit the forums daily to see this and vote. I'll bump the thread regularly to make sure it stays visible and personally harass people if necessary!

I will only close the votes around mid-January so take your time if you still haven't played everything you want to try out.

• Suggested list of eligible games:

January

InnerSpace, Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth – Hacker's Memory, Iconoclasts, Lost Sphear, Subnautica, The Inpatient, Celeste, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Monster Hunter: World, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, Full Metal Furies

February

EA Sports UFC 3, Shadow of the Colossus, Aegis Defenders, Dynasty Warriors 9, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Secret of Mana, Fe, Metal Gear Survive, Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, Into the Breach, Moss, Dandara

March

Pit People, Scribblenauts Showdown, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Q.U.B.E. 2, Surviving Mars, Kirby Star Allies, Attack on Titan 2, Sea of Thieves, Valkyria Chronicles 4, A Way Out, Detective Pikachu, Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings, Far Cry 5, MLB The Show 18, The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2, Shining Resonance Refrain, Super Robot Wars X

April

Minit, Extinction, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, God of War, Nintendo Labo, BattleTech, Frostpunk, The Swords of Ditto, Light Fall

May

Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia, City of Brass, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time, Omensight, Runner3, State of Decay 2, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, Detroit: Become Human, Agony, Moonlighter, Yoku's Island Express, Pokémon Quest, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince, Forgotton Anne, Just Shapes & Beats

June

BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle, Onrush, Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn, Vampyr, Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido, Unravel Two, Jurassic World Evolution, Lego The Incredibles, Mario Tennis Aces, The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, Next Up Hero, The Crew 2

July

Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard, Octopath Traveler, Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!, The Banner Saga 3, Chasm, Bomb Chicken

August

WarioWare Gold, Dead Cells, Flipping Death, Overcooked 2, Madden NFL 19, We Happy Few, Death's Gambit, The Walking Dead: The Final Season, Guacamelee! 2, My Hero One's Justice, F1 2018, Little Dragons Café, Blade Strangers, Donut County, Firewall: Zero Hour, Pro Evolution Soccer 2019, Strange Brigade, Yakuza Kiwami 2, The Messenger, Two Point Hospital

September

Dragon Quest XI, Planet Alpha, NBA Live 19, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy, Marvel's Spider-Man, Yo-kai Watch Blasters, Boundless, NBA 2K19, Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition, Frozen Synapse 2, NHL 19, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, CrossCode, Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Life Is Strange 2, Wandersong, FIFA 19, The Gardens Between, V-Rally 4

October

Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Forza Horizon 4, Mega Man 11, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Super Mario Party, WWE 2K19, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories, Lego DC Super-Villains, NBA 2K Playgrounds 2, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, Warriors Orochi 4, Return of the Obra Dinn, Soulcalibur VI, Gwent: The Witcher Card Game, Just Dance 2019, Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Cthulhu

November

The Quiet Man, Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Session!, Déraciné, The Forest, Grip: Combat Racing, Overkill's The Walking Dead, 11-11: Memories Retold, Tetris Effect, Hitman 2, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Fallout 76, Underworld Ascendant, Pokémon: Let's Go, Battlefield V, Farming Simulator 19, Darksiders III, Artifact

December

Just Cause 4, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, Ashen, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Earth Defense Force 5, Insurgency: Sandstorm, GRIS, Below, Battle Princess Madelyn

• I can't nominate it since it's just DLC but I'm gonna say anyway that Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion is beefy enough that if I could it'd be in my top 2 for the year.

• @hanabi Same issue. Legitimately the most fun in a game I had this year. Was planned originally to also be available as a stand-alone release, but that didn't mesh with the design of the game leading you into multiplayer, so they just released printable covers for it on My Nintendo instead.

• And my favorite thread type is back once again. Still have a lot of waiting to go, but the excitement is BACK!!!

• Wow, aside from the Dragonball Fighterz beta on Switch for maybe an hour, I didn't play a single new game this year. Not sure that's happened in my adult life. Here's hoping the Mrs. gets me Spiderman or Hitman 2 for Christmas!!

Enjoy the vote, all. I look forward to the results.

• I forget how we handle early access games?
    Do we count them, or not?

• Ah man. Same plight as last year, I have only played SOME of the heavy hitters. I kinda wish we did the 2017 revisited since I wrapped a few up from last year, this year. Same will happen with 2018 into 2019.

I'll send you my list. I did at least play A LOT this year.

• Global Moderator

oh I really gotta make a list for this as well! really enjoyed a lot of games this year.

• Yaaay another GOTY thread! Will make a list and PM you

• @tokyoslim I'd say they don't count, only when they're officially released.

@DIPSET Well, if you played only some of them, it means they appealed to you more than the others, so that says something good about those games already.

• I've personally got 10 games I feel deserve my vote, and it's going to be heart-breaking to leave 2 out of my list! Never had this problem before, this year has been very, very good.

• I have like 10 games that I wanted to give HMs to, but couldn't.
    My top 4 were easy for me, though the order changed around a few times over the past couple weeks.

• While I feel like I probably already have my list, I'm gonna wait to send it until after the holidays to finish a few things off. Hopefully I don't forget!

• Kudos for the long voting period. I have been kinda addicted to BFV for the last 2-3 weeks so my DQXI and RDR2 playthrough hasn't progressed at all. I'll probably need to refresh my memories of the nominees too.

• I must say, having The Walking Dead: The Final Season and especially Life Is Strange 2 is weird. I think it's better to vote for them in the year of the final episode, since some people are waiting for a full release to play them.

• @ffff0 Yeah, you could basically classify them the same as early access games. Some early access games pretty much are the same model, (just last areas missing) except the content isn't split into multiple parts.

• Sent my list in. Axel makes a good point. I haven't played EVERYTHING but what I chose to play was intentional and very telling of what I perceive to be the most attractive and quality games of the year. I struggled with the #4 GOTY vs Honourable Mention, but I put my objective hat on and made that decision.

Looked back at my "Completed Games of 2018" from Sabotage's thread and everything I nominated are the ONLY new 2018 games I even played this year. Just enough to make a list. So 8 of the 22 games I completed in 2018 are even new. A lot of catch up and just playing older stuff.

• Gonna take me a couple days, but I'll be getting to this!

• I just want to shout out Kingdom Come Deliverance, it's the finest Eurojank game there is. There's nothing quite like it, i'm still ways off from finishing it but the sense of wonder and joy that i feel when playing it made quite an impact on me. Never has it been so easy for me to just completely role play in the game world, it feels so rewarding when you take it seriously. Seeing shopkeepers and other people treat me like proper knights when i dress like one is still one of my favorite gaming moments from this year. Definitely getting my vote.