Let's Vote for our GOTY 2018!

• I wonder how similar this is going to end up being to the Patron GOTY poll right now.

• @tokyoslim said in Let's Vote for out GOTY 2018!:

I wonder how similar this is going to end up being to the Patron GOTY poll right now.

Except for the winner there will be a significant difference: Patron GotY is designed to get only GotY while this system is designed to get Top 8.

• Well there's at least a clear top 3 in Patron voting, and the final nominees are in fact the "top eleven", the actual poll is just to order them.

• Votes here have more weight to me. And the Patron poll is a sham anyways. No Yakuza games in it. :p

• @minamik No they're not eligible, there's nothing "new" about the games so they're considered HD ports.

• Well, that's debatable, but it's your goty thing, your rules. I abide.

• Nah it's not "my" goty, I really don't mind discussing it.

It's just that as far as I know nothing was added to the games, and graphically they only got an HD pass. Remakes like Shadow of the Colossus or Spyro Reignited Trilogy can be considered unique 2018 releases, whereas I don't feel Shenmue falls in that category.

By the way, for any future GOTY discussions, anyone can feel free to bring rule changes to the table, for example early access games, episodic games, right now it's a bit shaky, so we can make a topic for those discussions to make sure we're all aligned on the rules next time.

• We've hit 40 participants, woohoo!

Don't forget the deadline is January 18th.

If you haven't started Red Dead or Dragon Quest XI by now, you're probably screwed.

• 44 voters, the list has really shaped up now, thanks everyone! We've got a clean Top 25 we can be proud of!

Today is the last day you can vote, so anyone stumbling upon this thread, go for it!

Or if you've already voted but are having a late change of heart, you can still update your lists.

• Voting is now closed!

I will start posting the Top 25 games of 2018 on Monday, one game a day.

Time to celebrate yet another crazy year in gaming!

• @axel HHHHHYYYYYYPPPPPPEEEEE

• God damn, I just finished Red Dead too.

• @axel so to be clear if a game had significant additions, let's say Catherine Full Body, which may have a fair amount of new content it would be eligible? I'm just unsure where we are drawing the line there.

• @bard91 I'm not familiar with Catherine Full Body so I don't know. My personal opinion is that we should only count games that "feel" like new games, whether it's because of a complete graphical overhaul or revamped gameplay (Shadow of the Colossus, Yakuza Kiwami, Crash or Spyro trilogies, etc.)

Something like Tales of Vesperia this month is edging that line because even though it has some new content and higher resolution, it is still essentially the same game. So personally I wouldn't count it but if anyone wants to make a case for it, we should probably be on the generous side and allow rather than ban.

Especially because so far, experience has shown us that remakes or remasters rarely flirt with the top spot, so no big deal.

• @Axel Catherine Full Body is just like Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden, a enhanced version with same gameplay but with some new events and features.

So I guess it's not eligible then, damn

• @axel said:

Something like Tales of Vesperia this month is edging that line because even though it has some new content and higher resolution, it is still essentially the same game.

The new content from Tales of Vesperia existed in a previous version that just never came to the west though, didn't it? Catherine Full Body's new content is actually NEW by comparison. I'm not sure how much that game's new content really shakes it up, but it could possibly be significant. Still feels like the same game to me from what I've seen so far, but I'd also argue that Shadow of the Colossus, Crash, and Spyro are also the same games, just remade by other people with modern graphics. Yakuza Kiwami though is undoubtedly a new thing. Much more than just looks have been intentionally changed for it, before going into other new additions, even if it is meant to tell the same basic story.

This stuff is so hard to strictly define though, especially if you're not a fan of what is being discussed and don't see how much it has really changed, so I kind of agree we're probably better off letting anything anyone would fight for in. I've been irked in the past when people who didn't know what they were talking about argued something wasn't as new as it actually was. cough cough Splatoon 2 cough cough

• Global Moderator

looking forward to the result starting to roll in.