Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019

• @bam541 maybe it's just me but Hollow Knight was not a good game too binge for me, specially since I struggled with a few bosses so much, only to put the game down for a day, pick it back up and beating them in the first try. In the end I didn't even finish it even though I think it is very good, but yeah I would have a hard time binging that one.

• Same here, I started off well but now I don't think there's any way I'll touch one of my remaining backlog games until next year, there's so many good titles releasing in the coming months.

And 2020 will be insane with Cyberpunk, FF VII Remake, Watch Dogs Legion all in the first few months...

• @bard91 I just have a problem with those kind of games where I can very easily forget what to do, where to go or how to do something if I don't play it consistently, which really frustrates me for some reason. The minimal handholding nature of Hollow Knight certainly doesn't help that. I don't mind butting my head against a boss over and over though. I'll probably just go stay in one of the safe areas of the world to relax a bit here and there, the OST is amazing.

• I'm sad to say I'm giving up with Lisa, I'm just not interested in playing it anymore, and I already watched a silent playthrough to see the ending, it has some interesting stuff to it, but it is just not a game I enjoy in most ways.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

West of Loathing 6/10 DNF

Alan Wake

Prey 8/10

Alice: Madness Returns 6/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

That makes it two games from my list I will not finish, which is not ideal but I'm at least glad I gave them enough of a chance and they just didn't pay off for me.

• EDITED (AGAIN):
    Removed games I have no desire to play this year and added some that I purchased and want to finish.

MY BACKLOG

Resident Evil 2 (PS1, replay) FINISHED 01/19
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) FINISHED 02/19
    Titanfall 2 (PC) - FINISHED 02/19
    Undertale (Switch) FINISHED 03/19
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) FINISHED 05/19
    Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - FINISHED 07/19

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - started 01/19
    Kingdome Come Deliverance (PC) - started 05/19
    Hitman 2016 (PC) - started 05/19
    Frostpunk (PC) - started 07/19

Final Fantasy XV (PC)
    Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
    Resident Evil 5 (PS4)

Hitman 2 (PC)
    Divinity Original Sin II: Definitive Edition (PC)
    The Witness (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    Gothic II (PC)
    DOOM (PC)
    Wolfenstein New Order (PC)

PLATINUM BACKLOG

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    The Last of Us: Remastered

Still not confident I'll finish but that's life. Not gonna trip on not playing enough video games when I've had a pretty solid year regardless so far. Too many bike rides to be had and general fun-in-the-sun.

Finished Silent Hill 2 in what was supposed to be a one-sitting event a few months ago that spiraled into a few short sessions spread out. Its better graphically and control-wise than the original Silent Hill on PS1 but its pretty much the exact same game with a different esoteric story. I think the amount of time you spend indoors at the beginning is a bit disappointing because we already saw the same sort of levels in the original game. It treads too much of the same territory despite still being a solid game. Would have preferred to start on Silent Hill 2 to be honest.

• So... I made pretty good progress in Wasteland 2 and I am quite enjoying it, but a very important stat check that I got along with an hour of progress was loss because I died and the most recent save available was like 2 hours back. Now I don't really want to play it anymore lol, I'll put it back on shelf for now.

• @bam541

If it makes you feel better, I botched my first go at Frostpunk. I was so immersed in it that I lost myself for 3 hours straight and I didn't save. Then I got mutiny'd and failed. I was kinda pissed at first because the auto-save is awful and I felt like that was rather harsh for early game and learning the ropes.

Cleared my head and started up a fresh new game a week later and beat the "first three hours" in half the time.

• I'm not too happy with my progress to be honest. I'm glad to have still had a crack at my backlog in general, completing games like Alien Storm, Spiderman and Tales of Berseria that aren't in my 12, but I chose these 12 for a reason I feel. I'm about half way through Hexyz Force, but I better start working on Shinobi 3 next I feel.

• @dipset That's great, I'll probably do the same and just blast through it next time I'm feeling it again.

• Just beat Alan Wake meaning I'm done with 9 (or 7 rather since I choose not to finish two games from my list).

Alan Wake 8.5/10

I'm very pleased with Alan Wake, I think it is a very well made game that does some of the best work that I've seen when it comes to making 'cinematic' games, since I usually dislike how much other games in that vein compromise to make a flashy experience, but this one was just right.

Add to it a very compelling narative that definitively wanted to make me go on, a good mix of characters to color the story, fantastic presentation and entertaining gameplay, it makes for a really great package.

The ending is certainly a bit of a bummer, and some repetition is present that drags things down just a bit, but I also feel they made a good job of not stretching things too much, so even not a huge deal in my mind.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

Alan Wake 8.5/10

Prey 8/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

• @bard91 said in Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019:

Just beat Alan Wake meaning I'm done with 9 (or 7 rather since I choose not to finish two games from my list).

Alan Wake 8.5/10

I'm very pleased with Alan Wake, I think it is a very well made game that does some of the best work that I've seen when it comes to making 'cinematic' games, since I usually dislike how much other games in that vein compromise to make a flashy experience, but this one was just right.

Add to it a very compelling narative that definitively wanted to make me go on, a good mix of characters to color the story, fantastic presentation and entertaining gameplay, it makes for a really great package.

The ending is certainly a bit of a bummer, and some repetition is present that drags things down just a bit, but I also feel they made a good job of not stretching things too much, so even not a huge deal in my mind.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

Alan Wake 8.5/10

Prey 8/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

Suda and Swery games left? God I envy you.

• MY BACKLOG

Resident Evil 2 (PS1, replay) FINISHED 01/19
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) FINISHED 02/19
    Titanfall 2 (PC) - FINISHED 02/19
    Undertale (Switch) FINISHED 03/19
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) FINISHED 05/19
    Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - FINISHED 07/19
    Hitman 2016 (PC) - FINISHED 08/19

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - started 01/19
    Kingdome Come Deliverance (PC) - started 05/19
    Frostpunk (PC) - started 07/19

Final Fantasy XV (PC)
    Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
    Resident Evil 5 (PS4)

Hitman 2 (PC)
    Divinity Original Sin II: Definitive Edition (PC)
    The Witness (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    Gothic II (PC)
    DOOM (PC)
    Wolfenstein New Order (PC)

PLATINUM BACKLOG

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    The Last of Us: Remastered

I finally polished off Hitman (2016) and might move onto Hitman 2 during my vacation. You'd think a vacation is the perfect time to get through the back log but Astral Chain and Control just happen to be out conveniently when I have time off so its not going to be so productive in that regard. I do have Hitman fever. This game was phenominal and Hitman 2 looks even better.

7 games down!

• "Finished" D4 as much as I think I can say that I finished, so that is another one down.

Dark Dreams Don't Die 7.5/10

I was not aware that this was an incomplete game, and while that leaves a pretty sour taste considering how it ends, I was very entertained with it even though it has a good amount of shortcomings.

The game is one of the best I've played in terms of the use of QTEs, and overall I liked the general gameplay, that coupled with all of the weird stuff in the game make for something very interesting, and a lot of things had me intrigued so I'm just sad there won't be an ultimate resolution fo them so I guess I'll have to settle for whatever theories I might have had. Hard to grade an unfinished product but I liked what it was doing.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

Alan Wake 8.5/10

Prey 8/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die 7.5/10

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

• Dragon Quest VII
    Persona 4
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shenmue I & II
    Devil May Cry 3
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Shadowrun (SNES)
    Ultima VII
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Drakengard

I beat Shenmue I. We're more than 8 months in and I have I finished 1.5 games from my list. Doing great XD

I'm trying to decide to play Shenmue II or Devil May Cry 3 next.

• Finished Mega Man X8, and I think that's it for my original list.

I've got Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Prey, Bloodborne, Resident Evil HD Remaster and The Wonderful 101 left, and there's no way I'm gonna be touching any of those with all the 2019 releases still coming up.

7/12 ain't bad, and I completed tons of other backlog games too, so I'm fine with my "progress" for this year!

• I have flopped so bad on this. I am truly the Kramer of this contest.

I think I will start thinking about a 2020 list now and try to be more realistic with it. Good luck to you all with closing out 2019.

• I can't wait to join for next year. I have quite a big backlog from the times that I wasn't able to play them properly.