Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019

• @bam541

If it makes you feel better, I botched my first go at Frostpunk. I was so immersed in it that I lost myself for 3 hours straight and I didn't save. Then I got mutiny'd and failed. I was kinda pissed at first because the auto-save is awful and I felt like that was rather harsh for early game and learning the ropes.

Cleared my head and started up a fresh new game a week later and beat the "first three hours" in half the time.

• I'm not too happy with my progress to be honest. I'm glad to have still had a crack at my backlog in general, completing games like Alien Storm, Spiderman and Tales of Berseria that aren't in my 12, but I chose these 12 for a reason I feel. I'm about half way through Hexyz Force, but I better start working on Shinobi 3 next I feel.

• @dipset That's great, I'll probably do the same and just blast through it next time I'm feeling it again.

• Just beat Alan Wake meaning I'm done with 9 (or 7 rather since I choose not to finish two games from my list).

Alan Wake 8.5/10

I'm very pleased with Alan Wake, I think it is a very well made game that does some of the best work that I've seen when it comes to making 'cinematic' games, since I usually dislike how much other games in that vein compromise to make a flashy experience, but this one was just right.

Add to it a very compelling narative that definitively wanted to make me go on, a good mix of characters to color the story, fantastic presentation and entertaining gameplay, it makes for a really great package.

The ending is certainly a bit of a bummer, and some repetition is present that drags things down just a bit, but I also feel they made a good job of not stretching things too much, so even not a huge deal in my mind.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

West of Loathing 6/10 DNF

Alan Wake 8.5/10

Prey 8/10

Alice: Madness Returns 6/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

• @bard91 said in Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019:

Just beat Alan Wake meaning I'm done with 9 (or 7 rather since I choose not to finish two games from my list).

Alan Wake 8.5/10

I'm very pleased with Alan Wake, I think it is a very well made game that does some of the best work that I've seen when it comes to making 'cinematic' games, since I usually dislike how much other games in that vein compromise to make a flashy experience, but this one was just right.

Add to it a very compelling narative that definitively wanted to make me go on, a good mix of characters to color the story, fantastic presentation and entertaining gameplay, it makes for a really great package.

The ending is certainly a bit of a bummer, and some repetition is present that drags things down just a bit, but I also feel they made a good job of not stretching things too much, so even not a huge deal in my mind.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

Alan Wake 8.5/10

Prey 8/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

Suda and Swery games left? God I envy you.

• MY BACKLOG

Resident Evil 2 (PS1, replay) FINISHED 01/19
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) FINISHED 02/19
    Titanfall 2 (PC) - FINISHED 02/19
    Undertale (Switch) FINISHED 03/19
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) FINISHED 05/19
    Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - FINISHED 07/19
    Hitman 2016 (PC) - FINISHED 08/19

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - started 01/19
    Kingdome Come Deliverance (PC) - started 05/19
    Frostpunk (PC) - started 07/19

Final Fantasy XV (PC)
    Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
    Resident Evil 5 (PS4)

Hitman 2 (PC)
    Divinity Original Sin II: Definitive Edition (PC)
    The Witness (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    Gothic II (PC)
    DOOM (PC)
    Wolfenstein New Order (PC)

PLATINUM BACKLOG

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    The Last of Us: Remastered

I finally polished off Hitman (2016) and might move onto Hitman 2 during my vacation. You'd think a vacation is the perfect time to get through the back log but Astral Chain and Control just happen to be out conveniently when I have time off so its not going to be so productive in that regard. I do have Hitman fever. This game was phenominal and Hitman 2 looks even better.

7 games down!

• "Finished" D4 as much as I think I can say that I finished, so that is another one down.

Dark Dreams Don't Die 7.5/10

I was not aware that this was an incomplete game, and while that leaves a pretty sour taste considering how it ends, I was very entertained with it even though it has a good amount of shortcomings.

The game is one of the best I've played in terms of the use of QTEs, and overall I liked the general gameplay, that coupled with all of the weird stuff in the game make for something very interesting, and a lot of things had me intrigued so I'm just sad there won't be an ultimate resolution fo them so I guess I'll have to settle for whatever theories I might have had. Hard to grade an unfinished product but I liked what it was doing.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

Alan Wake 8.5/10

Prey 8/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die 7.5/10

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

• Dragon Quest VII
    Persona 4
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shenmue I & II
    Devil May Cry 3
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Shadowrun (SNES)
    Ultima VII
    Luigi's Mansion 2
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
    Drakengard

I beat Shenmue I. We're more than 8 months in and I have I finished 1.5 games from my list. Doing great XD

I'm trying to decide to play Shenmue II or Devil May Cry 3 next.

• Finished Mega Man X8, and I think that's it for my original list.

I've got Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Prey, Bloodborne, Resident Evil HD Remaster and The Wonderful 101 left, and there's no way I'm gonna be touching any of those with all the 2019 releases still coming up.

7/12 ain't bad, and I completed tons of other backlog games too, so I'm fine with my "progress" for this year!

• I have flopped so bad on this. I am truly the Kramer of this contest.

I think I will start thinking about a 2020 list now and try to be more realistic with it. Good luck to you all with closing out 2019.

• I can't wait to join for next year. I have quite a big backlog from the times that I wasn't able to play them properly.