Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019

• @sheria I mean, I beat it back when it first came out. New playthrough with a new set of trophs.
    I started Unity a while ago and have chipped away at it but just find it nowhere near as engaging as 2 or Brotherhood.
    Brotherhood is my personal series fave.
    I'm thinking of trying to go through the whole series. Never actually played 3 or any of the spinoff like Rogue or Liberation.

• @el-shmiablo said in Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019:

@sheria I mean, I beat it back when it first came out. New playthrough with a new set of trophs.
    I started Unity a while ago and have chipped away at it but just find it nowhere near as engaging as 2 or Brotherhood.
    Brotherhood is my personal series fave.
    I'm thinking of trying to go through the whole series. Never actually played 3 or any of the spinoff like Rogue or Liberation.

I really enjoyed Brotherhood too.

I just thought the thread was designed for stubborn backlog games you finally want to complete for the first time, that's all I meant.

• @sheria Ah. I mean, you could be right.
    Personally I buy a lot of games these days that I've already completed just so I can have them in a modern library.
    Maybe I should have your mindset and just buckle down and try to complete Unity. I'm just having wayyy too much fun replaying 2.

• @el-shmiablo said in Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019:

@sheria Ah. I mean, you could be right.
    Personally I buy a lot of games these days that I've already completed just so I can have them in a modern library.
    Maybe I should have your mindset and just buckle down and try to complete Unity. I'm just having wayyy too much fun replaying 2.

No need to tell me, replaying some of my favourite games is precisely why I have my 12 ^^

I'm getting there mind. I feel I'm on par for completing my twelve, even though I do get distracted by other games, especially by my favourites which i consistently want to play again.

• @sheria Lol pretty much.
    It's like "I could totally put a few hours in Ni no Kuni 2, but styling on fools in DmC Devil May Cry for the umpteenth time sounds more fun".

• I mean the initial idea is for backlog games, but there are no hard rules here, I've seen people just bundle up evertything together including new games and replays, personally I prefer to keep it for backlog stuff that I've wanted to play but never gotten around to it, so I w0uld say whatever fits best with each person.

As for myself as expected I didn't play much on my month travelling, and after Joker got released in smashed, I've mostly just played that, and I have yet to play other characters since he came out, from my actual list I've only played some West of Loathing, and to give a quick impression I like some of it, but I desperately want it to be over, I would say it is a perfect example of a game outstaying it's welcome, and tbh if I wouldn't be too surprised I just drop it.

• @binarymelon are you planning to play Sky Third soon, and the other games? I also finished SC this year and I'm in a mad dash to catch up before Cold Steel 3 comes out.

• @bard91 I'm going to hold off for now. I'm already so far behind I don't really think there's any rush to finish. I also want to give the crossbell games a play too and may wait for the fan translations to wrap up.

• @binarymelon makes sense, I downloaded the already existing fan translations and they seem pretty decent to me, but I do know an 'enhanced' version for Zero is coming soon, and yeah I may even change my plan and not rush it as much, since I would have to wait for CS4 hopefully next year anyway.

• I couldn't manage to keep up with 1 backlog game per month, but I managed to just complete Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines tonight in early May. I still think I'm on pace. Cleaned up my list below and removed some things I tried and didn't like so I won't be playing them.

My roommate and I are going to two-sitting Silent Hill 2 tomorrow night and Saturday afternoon. I look forward to it.

MY BACKLOG

Resident Evil 2 (PS1, replay) FINISHED 01/19
    Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
    Resident Evil 5 (PS4)
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 FINISHED 02/19
    Valkyria Chronicles (PS4)
    Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
    Kingdom Hearts 1 (PS4)
    Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS4)
    Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
    Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - started 01/19
    Final Fantasy XV (PC)
    Super Metroid (SNES)
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
    Undertale (Switch) FINISHED 03/19
    Hitman 2 (PC)
    Divinity Original Sin II: Definitive Edition (PC)
    Titanfall 2 - FINISHED 02/19
    Hollow Knight (PC)
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) FINISHED 05/19
    The Witness (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    Half Life Source (PC)
    Half Life 2 (PC)
    Gothic II (PC)
    Kingdome Come Deliverance (PC)

PLATINUM BACKLOG

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    The Last of Us: Remastered
    Nier Automata

• I fell behind as well, but I don't think it is too bad, the main problem is that I've grown really tired of West of Loathing and I'm not very motivated to keep playing it, and I think I'm not super close to the end yet.

• I will not finish West of Loathing, I've lost any interest in playing more of it.

I think the humor of the game which is clearly its appeal, is really good and likely able to carry the game for many people, however I find the gameplay to be too boring and given that there's no real motivation in the story, I'm just not interested in seeing more of it, even if I do enjoy the humor of most of the scenarios.

Lisa
    Pony Island 7/10
    West of Loathing 6/10 DNF
    Alan Wake
    Prey 8/10
    Alice Madness Returns
    D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die
    Deadly Premonition
    Grim Fandango 7.5/10
    Mark of the Ninja
    Trails in the Sky 9/10
    The Silver Case

• Need to replace some of these long-ass RPGs on the list. Plus I just built a gaming PC so I need to make use of it. Hopefully Master Chief Collection will launch early enough for me to finish off my playthrough of Combat Evolved this year.

Kingdom Hearts
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Trails in the Sky SC
    The Division
    Super Mario Sunshine
    ReCore (replacing Final Fantasy XV NG+)
    Life is Strange
    Halo
    RiME (replacing Final Fantasy XIII)
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Arkham Asylum
    Devil May Cry 1 & 2

• With a heavy heart, I'm going to cross off Okami as unfinished. I'm in love with the good vibes, story and art style, but man it's just so easy it's mind numbing. It gets harder and harder for me to pick the game up as it goes on and I just had enough of it now.

Okami HD DNF
    HZD The Frozen Wilds
    Persona 4 Golden
    Shenmue II
    Thumper
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Nier Automata
    Hollow Knight
    Life is Strange
    Wasteland 2
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    My Hero One's Justice

• @bam541 I think I can understand that, I didn't mind the lack of difficulty in the game, but it is for sure something that made it a bit less engaging, well at least you tried the game and can say it wasn't for you.

• Finished My Hero One's Justice's story mode. It's quite short and barebones but I still had a blast. I hope the next game (if there's any) gets more budget and production value. They got the basics right here. Each character was fun to play and they know what they're doing with how to make their quirks fun to use for the most part (Toga's clone ability is hype). I feel like the devs care about MHA and did the best they can, I would love to see them getting more freedom and money to work with. My dream would be if the next game's story mode abandons the mission select story structure and just puts you in hub worlds to explore, and if it tells a separate story like Two Heroes. Go crazy.

I still got ways to go for the platinum but I don't think I can justify going for it right now.

Okami HD DNF
    HZD The Frozen Wilds
    Persona 4 Golden
    Shenmue II
    Thumper
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Nier Automata
    Hollow Knight
    Life is Strange
    Wasteland 2
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    My Hero One's Justice

• Don't think I'm going to continue with ReCore. Don't really want to grind out dungeons just to move on with the story.

Kingdom Hearts
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Trails in the Sky SC
    The Division
    Super Mario Sunshine
    ReCore (replacing Final Fantasy XV NG+) DNF (Possible replacement named later)
    Life is Strange
    Halo
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Arkham Asylum
    Devil May Cry 1 & 2

• @bam541 I can understand you with Okami, even if I did enjoy it and didn't found a problem quite like that I can see how some people could have issues with it, well at least you know you gave it a chance.

• Finished Alice Madness Returns

This game could very easily and very justly be critized to death, and I wouldn't debate a lower score, but if it weren't for all the performance issues on PC I would rate a little bit higher, as I still ended up having an enjoyable time with it, despite all of its shortcomings.

The worst part of the game is that it ended up being interesting and being engaging for me, but I had to go past the first half of the game where I simply didn't care about the game and actually considering dropping it, then the fact that the build up is so brief and the resolution lackluster doesn't help, that said I did like the end of the story so it is somewhat bittersweet.

Have no interest of ever touching it again, but I enjoyed it well enough.

6/10

Lisa
    Pony Island 7/10
    West of Loathing 6/10 DNF
    Alan Wake
    Prey 8/10
    Alice Madness Returns 6/10
    D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die
    Deadly Premonition
    Grim Fandango 7.5/10
    Mark of the Ninja
    Trails in the Sky 9/10
    The Silver Case

• Finished up Mario Sunshine this evening. First time I ever played through it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Might move on to Rime next. Try and get a couple of quick games in before the really nice weather sets in.

Kingdom Hearts
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Trails in the Sky SC
    The Division
    Super Mario Sunshine
    ReCore (replacing Final Fantasy XV NG+) DNF (Possible replacement named later)
    Life is Strange
    Halo
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Arkham Asylum
    Devil May Cry 1 & 2