Tackle the backlog - 12 in 12 2019

• @binarymelon I am a VERY big fan of Sunshine but I do recall 3 major dislikes: blue coins, pachinko, poison river. You dig?

• @e_zed_eh_intern Yeah, I definitely get that. I'm not one to 100% many games, so the blue coins didn't really bother me. For the most part, I just ignored them. Didn't even come across the pachinko course or poison river; had to google them to even know what you meant.

Finished up RiME tonight. I'll copy the post I just made over on ERA (spoilers below).

Holy fuck. I spent most of this game thinking it was a child dealing with the loss of a parent, which I thought was ok, but the reveal that you're basically the child guiding the father through his grief; I don't think a game has ever had that much an impact on me. I've literally been playing this in the evenings with my son's baby monitor next to me watching him sleep.

Kingdom Hearts
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Trails in the Sky SC
    The Division
    Super Mario Sunshine
    ReCore (replacing Final Fantasy XV NG+) DNF (Possible replacement named later)
    Life is Strange
    Halo
    RiME (replacing Final Fantasy XIII)
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Arkham Asylum
    Devil May Cry 1 & 2

• @bard91

Damn. I bought Alice for like $4 on Origin because I wanted to use some photo tools for screenshots but I didn't know the PC version was that bad.

FYI... I'm waaaaaay off pace now. I might have to cram some backlog games in the coming months but the summer is the summer and I swear all my weekends are booked up with plans. I guess the games aren't going anywhere.

• @dipset idk if it was something to do with some configuration, but my PC should be able to have run it like it was nothing and the performance was bad all the way through, so yeah unfortunately not a great version.

• Halfway through the year, I've beaten 6 out of the 12 games on my list, plus an additional 7 I hadn't selected, sooooo technically I've done the job!

With all the new releases coming up in the next few months, I might not have a chance to finish anything else from my OG 12, but I'll try to sneak in The Wonderful 101 at least.

How is everyone else doing?

• I'm doing as bad as I expected, lol. 2 games finished, 1 DNF. Currently tackling on Shenmue II and Persona 4 Golden. A 2 month college break is coming up so I expect to finish both games by the time it ends. I might be able to get the shorter games out of the way too.

• @bam541 Yeah not a damn chance I'm getting anywhere near through my list. Cleared 2 and started another 3 but think the only one I might finish of those is Tropical Freeze. Too hooked on Hitman 2 and SNES games of late to go back to my list. I'll be happy if I make it to 6.

• I'm 6 games down, counting one that I decided to drop, and 2 of the 6 remaining I've already begun, but I'm playing them in parallel to like 5 other games, and I've beaten a few other games.

I was pretty concious of what I picked knowing that I would want to play other stuff so I know the time commitment for the remaining games won't be too bad, and it is good because adding only the first game of Trails in The Sky to my list was a big mistake, since it ended up being not 1 but 5 JRPGs I'm playing this year because of it (worth it though, don't skip Trails).

The list for me has served the purpose I had in mind for myself which was making sure I would put time into games I've meant to play for some time, and in that it has helped, but next year it's gonna be though, between P5 Royal, Cyberpunk, Psychonauts 2, Sakura Wars and I hope by all the gods Cold Steel 4, so I'll try to be careful about what I add to that list, with some clear contenders already in mind.

• Far Cry 4
    Ni no Kuni 2
    Gravity Rush 2
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    Digimon Story Cyberslueth
    Assassins Creed 2
    Ghost Recon Wildlands
    Spyro Reignited Trilogy
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
    Yakuza Zero

Beat AC2. Just as awesome as it was the first time. I know some people will disagree, but I think that game aged spectacularly, and is still amongst the best in the series. Moved on to AC Brotherhood immediately after and am having a blast with that too. These games were so ahead of their time.

• Mark of the Ninja 9/10

I think it was great, overall fantastic design and it managed to keep things interesting from beginning to end, and just the right amount of challenge as well, I'm not gonna jump back to get all the challenges but I can see that being something very attractive for completionist, very easy to recommend the game

With that I'm 7 down at the beginnning of July and probably about half way through Lisa which I'm finding pretty meh but I'll try to keep at it.

Lisa
    Pony Island 7/10
    West of Loathing 6/10 DNF
    Alan Wake
    Prey 8/10
    Alice Madness Returns 6/10
    D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die
    Deadly Premonition
    Grim Fandango 7.5/10
    Mark of the Ninja 9/10
    Trails in the Sky 9/10
    The Silver Case

• Finished Shenmue II! It's certainly a monumental increase of scale compared to the original. It's a long, long game. There's more things that I like and more things that frustrate me, fortunately the former dominating the latter. I enjoyed the cast of characters in particular, and the escalation of crazier scenarios as it goes on (that final Kowloon section gave me Tartarus vibes in the best way possible). I think the game's QTE sections can get too annoying at many times (no more balancing on boards plz), it's attempts at mixing up the gameplay can feel forced. Overall it's pretty good, I do like Shenmue 1 more, mostly because of the familiar and welcoming vibes of Dobuita, which is none to be felt here until post-Kowloon. Also, it can feel too big and monotone during exploration, especially in Hongkong. (7/10)

I also started Wasteland 2 right after. 2 hours in, it seems like a more action focused classic Fallout game, which is cool. Not going to continue it for a while, but it's probably my next target on the list.

Okami HD DNF
    HZD The Frozen Wilds
    Persona 4 Golden
    Shenmue II
    Thumper
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Nier Automata
    Hollow Knight
    Life is Strange
    Wasteland 2
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm
    My Hero One's Justice

• I'm completely off pace at this point. In fact, I keep ADDING to my backlog. Rather than playing old games I already own, I am buying old games I don't own and start those instead. I've moved the goal posts a few times this year, but I might refresh my backlog once and for all and try to polish up 12 games before December.

• @bam541 Do not miss Hollow Knight!

• @phbz Started playing it months ago, but only 2 hours in and yet I already feel that it's quite a special game. I'm waiting for the right time to continue playing it, I feel like I need to dedicate an entire weekend to finishing that game and I'm not in mood for that yet.

• @dipset same is happening to me in a way, but that's why I was very deliberate in picking games I knew wouldn't be a huge commitment, and next year that's gonna be even more important.

I'm close to done with Lisa which is the 8th from my list, has had some pretty good moments but overall I don't think it is great.

• @bam541 maybe it's just me but Hollow Knight was not a good game too binge for me, specially since I struggled with a few bosses so much, only to put the game down for a day, pick it back up and beating them in the first try. In the end I didn't even finish it even though I think it is very good, but yeah I would have a hard time binging that one.

• Same here, I started off well but now I don't think there's any way I'll touch one of my remaining backlog games until next year, there's so many good titles releasing in the coming months.

And 2020 will be insane with Cyberpunk, FF VII Remake, Watch Dogs Legion all in the first few months...

• @bard91 I just have a problem with those kind of games where I can very easily forget what to do, where to go or how to do something if I don't play it consistently, which really frustrates me for some reason. The minimal handholding nature of Hollow Knight certainly doesn't help that. I don't mind butting my head against a boss over and over though. I'll probably just go stay in one of the safe areas of the world to relax a bit here and there, the OST is amazing.

• I'm sad to say I'm giving up with Lisa, I'm just not interested in playing it anymore, and I already watched a silent playthrough to see the ending, it has some interesting stuff to it, but it is just not a game I enjoy in most ways.

Lisa 7/10 DNF

Pony Island 7/10

West of Loathing 6/10 DNF

Alan Wake

Prey 8/10

Alice: Madness Returns 6/10

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die

Deadly Premonition

Grim Fandango 7.5/10

Mark of the Ninja 9/10

Trails in the Sky 9/10

The Silver Case

That makes it two games from my list I will not finish, which is not ideal but I'm at least glad I gave them enough of a chance and they just didn't pay off for me.

• EDITED (AGAIN):
    Removed games I have no desire to play this year and added some that I purchased and want to finish.

MY BACKLOG

Resident Evil 2 (PS1, replay) FINISHED 01/19
    Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4) FINISHED 02/19
    Titanfall 2 (PC) - FINISHED 02/19
    Undertale (Switch) FINISHED 03/19
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC) FINISHED 05/19
    Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - FINISHED 07/19

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - started 01/19
    Kingdome Come Deliverance (PC) - started 05/19
    Hitman 2016 (PC) - started 05/19
    Frostpunk (PC) - started 07/19

Final Fantasy XV (PC)
    Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
    Resident Evil 5 (PS4)

Hitman 2 (PC)
    Divinity Original Sin II: Definitive Edition (PC)
    The Witness (PC)
    Deus Ex (PC)
    Gothic II (PC)
    DOOM (PC)
    Wolfenstein New Order (PC)

PLATINUM BACKLOG

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
    The Last of Us: Remastered

Still not confident I'll finish but that's life. Not gonna trip on not playing enough video games when I've had a pretty solid year regardless so far. Too many bike rides to be had and general fun-in-the-sun.

Finished Silent Hill 2 in what was supposed to be a one-sitting event a few months ago that spiraled into a few short sessions spread out. Its better graphically and control-wise than the original Silent Hill on PS1 but its pretty much the exact same game with a different esoteric story. I think the amount of time you spend indoors at the beginning is a bit disappointing because we already saw the same sort of levels in the original game. It treads too much of the same territory despite still being a solid game. Would have preferred to start on Silent Hill 2 to be honest.