Reason for Bans

• Can we get a system where it states why someone is banned.

• Banned

I think this would be a very welcome addition to the forums.

• Global Moderator

We'd have to discuss this really but I'm honestly not really sure if it'd be a good thing.

We have nothing automatic in place so it would be a list that would have to be manually updated and the vast majority of bans are for bots.

I can definitely see it being nice to know why someone was banned instead of asking in a topic but I'd also be concerned with groups of people arguing if the correct decision was made and if the punishment was correct.

• NeoGAF has this feature and it was very welcomed among the users. ResetEra also has something similar, though it is from a third party ban aggregator. While the feature would be nice to see here, is there enough activity to warrant such to begin with? How often are people banned, outside of bots?

• Global Moderator

Im kinda with @tokeeffe9 on this one.

We would manually have to do this (for now at least), also would we include temp bans or just perm bans?
    I can see that people like this as a point of transparency, but I can also see this becoming a shouting of "But this person did...." and "This person didnt! you iz bad!"

• Global Moderator

Just curious, if you go to the info of a banned account, E.g https://forums.easyallies.com/user/petterjhon/info

Are you able to see recent ban history?

Mods can at least. And we're able to go to the users tab and filter by banned users.

If all users are able to do that, then hopefully that is good enough and we can do a better job at leaving notes on banned accounts.

• @tokeeffe9 said in Reason for Bans:

Just curious, if you go to the info of a banned account, E.g https://forums.easyallies.com/user/petterjhon/info

Are you able to see recent ban history?

We only see a red box saying:
    "Access Denied
    You seem to have stumbled upon a page that you do not have access to."

• Back in the day, I use to trawl through the xbox forums reading the appeals and the moderator responses as to why they got banned. It was a great laugh. 100% of the time the appeals failed.

Expanding off what tokeeffe mentioned about the bots, and without trying to derail the topic. It's my belief bots are the cloak and dagger enemy of the 21st century. They are underestimated and aren't being treated serious enough. Just look at all the controversy on facebook, reddit and twitter bots have caused. The the end of 'My2Cents'.