Games/Franchises that should make a comeback

• @sheria I don't see the correlation between those games an RE.
    Sure they could pander to the nostalgia crowd and release a game with horrible voice acting and characters totalling 100 polys across the entire game, but I don't think that is what people enjoyed about RE.
    Though I may be wrong, I think it was the atmosphere, tension, and general mystery of the original games that hooked people in. Solving obtuse puzzles under the threat of zombie attack and wondering when the next dog would come leaping through a window at me is what I remember most.

• @el-shmiablo said in Games/Franchises that should make a comeback:

@sheria I don't see the correlation between those games an RE.

For a lot of fans, they all lost their identity with time. Broken Sword was always delivering what was expected from it, but pushing to incorporate modern gaming fads that the likes of tomb raider and other such games did, such as 3D block puzzles and the such caused it to take missteps. Very hard to ignore RE4's deliberate and sudden change to follow market trends.

The correlation is that they are all franchises that people feel that an older template may actually suit the series better.

• @sheria I don't think they are better games because of an older remplate, but better games because the template was simply better itself.
    Sonic Mania works because everything after the Genesis Sonics simply weren't as good period.
    While some might argue differently, I fell that RE4 and 7 were modernizations that worked for the series rather than against it.
    6 is really the only RE where I think they completely jumped the shark.

• @el-shmiablo said in Games/Franchises that should make a comeback:

@sheria I don't think they are better games because of an older remplate, but better games because the template was simply better itself.
    Sonic Mania works because everything after the Genesis Sonics simply weren't as good period.
    While some might argue differently, I fell that RE4 and 7 were modernizations that worked for the series rather than against it.
    6 is really the only RE where I think they completely jumped the shark.

I actually really enjoyed RE4, but only as a separate entity.

As you say, it's down to the individual. But I personally believe that RE is akin to a number of franchises like sonic and castlevania, where the translation to a more modern genre just doesn't work as well.

• Phantasmagoria

• I would also love to see the LA Noire series return. Really loved that game (i'm considering buying the PS4 version right now, really want to play it again). The Orient or whatever it's called, the rumored sequel, sounds so cool. Old school detective work in 1930's Shanghai is such an intriguing promise. This is basically my next dream game. Please do it Rockstar, spend the big bucks on this one.

• @bam541
    Whore of the Orient was its title, and I think it was like 70% finished before WB pulled out of the project.
    And as often as LA Noire goes on sale, may as well pick it up on PS4, or X1 or Switch (which LA Noire works surprisingly well) I swear it goes on sale for like $15-$20 every other week at Gamestop.

• @dmcmaster just got one for $13. I forgot that the remasters came with the DLC cases too, excited to see those.

• Vector Man, Comix Zone. Final Fight, Shinobi, and Bloody Roar.

• alt text

And BoF6 never happened. Just like all the Highlander sequels.

• @theultimogringo
    Yep, Series died on ps2.

• Capcom vs SNK

• @neocweeny Came her to say Street Fighter Alpha but you win.

• @neocweeny
    I'm probably the only person that wants a new Tatsunoko vs Capcom.
    Then again with the guy behind MHW taking over the fighting games division (with Ono stepping down to like an advisor I think) who knows.

• Watch only 60 seconds of this YouTube clip I found of Warhawk PS3.

Youtube Video

• Weapon pickups
    • Static heavy weapons
    • Air and land vehicles
    • Dynamic maps that go from large scale to small
    • Body looting after kills
    • 4 player split screen
    • 4-32 player matches in 2007

I'll take a good game of Capture the Flag over Battle Royal any day of the week but look at this!! Warhawk was basically meant for the battle royal genre. They wouldn't even need to change much other than have you drop from the sky. The cartoony art style isn't even far off from what's popular right now.

DO THE RIGHT THING SONY!

• @dipset UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING
    StarHawk was better in every possible way.

• @el-shmiablo

I’m sure it was... also didn’t StarHawk have... BUILDING ON THE FLY?!?!

I never played it though cause Warhawk was active still and nobody I knew played StarHawk. But more evidence of how far ahead these games were.

• @dipset
    How much you want to bet if a new War or Starhawk came out people would call it a fortnight clone, but with flying

• They would 140% do that and I'd send NoClip to do a developer documentary to put some respek on their name.

But in reality, I'm not sure who would make Warhawk. Incognito is dead. They did amazing work though.

• @dipset Guerilla.
    They hired some R6 Siege devs recently, so they're clearly planning on doing something big with multiplayer.