Updated: EZA Forum FantasyCritic League 2020 Season Thread

• 0_1577590715396_Capture.JPG

Draft order set. Good luck everybody!

• GOTY 2020

The mashup we all asked for: Fast & Furious, Motorstorm, and OnRush. When it reviews well, I'll have the last laugh!

Youtube Video

• That all went pretty smoothly. Over 2,5 hours, but it's done (again). Only two out of 14 people were absent, but we managed that well, I think. Good luck to all!

• After careful consideration, I think GcJones has my favorite team. Not the one that I think will win, but picking Huniepop2 was something I never in a million years considered. lol

also, Ghost of Tsushima, Sports Story, and Carrion are bangers.
    0_1577606800288_Capture.JPG

• With my selection of Beyond a Steel Sky, I hope to have the only 75 as a #2 pick in the league, but I had to take the gamble... (the original was in the mid eighties).

• So here's what I ended up with:

0_1577757660419_fantasy.PNG

Considering I was in 13th place, I'm super happy I managed to snag Hollow Knight: Silksong, it was one of my top priorities and I'm surprised nobody else took it!

Dying Light 2 seems very ambitious and could be a sleeper hit this year, but there's still no confirmed date so that's slightly worrying.

Oddworld: Soulstorm, that's a bet, it's been in development for so long that surely this has to be its year. Will it even be good? They managed to modernize the original pretty well with New n' Tasty, so hopefully they nail it again, but I don't expect more than a low-to-mid-80s score.

Cyber Shadow looks awesome and is the first game published by Yacht Club Games and not developed by them, so they must have high confidence in its devs. Coming from the Shovel Knight guys that's quite the seal of approval.

Naraka, I don't know, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I thought it looked pretty cool when they showed it at the Game Awards but apparently I was the only one. Could end up being a disaster.

And Deadly Premonition 2 as a counter-pick, feels like my Shenmue III situation all over again so hopefully it works out just as well!

• @axel I see you forgot to mention anything about the next AC. Hmm. :P
    It was almost mine, but you managed to get it right from under my nose.

• I think I have an actual chance this year!
    I'd post a picture but my tablet is old and crap.

I would like to point out that my counter pick was about doubting it will release next year. I expect Elden Ring to be amazing when it releases.

• @inustar i gotchu
    I appreciate that you took Yakuza 7 with your #2 pick.

0_1577818889478_Capture.JPG

• We've already had some bids and waiver pickups!

Shin Megami Tensei V, Unannounced Horizon Zero Dawn sequel, and Baldur's Gate III were all picked up this week.

I had SMTV and Baldur's Gate III on my list, but the uncertainty regarding the release year is what kept me from taking them late.

I could easily see SMTV be a holiday Japan release and a early 2021 US release, and while I know Larian is plugging away on Baldur's Gate, I think they just started last year.

• I was gonna take Baldur’s Gate 3 in the draft but figured I could get it cheap based on the uncertainty of the 2020 release date.

My logic is that I’ve read in interviews that they got the green light during early production on Divinity Original Sin II years ago and have already done all of the pre-production. It may be further ahead than we give it credit for and I still have space for two more pickups.

knocks on wood If it comes out, I’m guaranteed a 90+

• @dipset said in Updated: EZA Forum FantasyCritic League 2020 Season Thread:

got the green light during early production on Divinity Original Sin II

They petitioned for BGIII after Original Sin 1, but were turned down as they were too new of a studio. They took the demo of Original Sin 2 back to Wizards (so... sometime in 2017) and were then given the green light. But they didn't start full production on it until after Original Sin 2 released either in late 2017 or early 2018.

• @tokyoslim Thanks

And Yakuza 7 is a risky one, but I think it'll be interesting to see how the changes are received.

• Damn. DBZ is getting solid ratings. Sitting at 76%. So that’s like -6 points I think for my Counter Pick

• Ian, Don and Kyle did theirs again. The biggest difference to ours seems to be that they allowed the "will not release" games to be dropped so that they can choose another one instead. I don't think I like that, I'm happy with our rules.

Fantasy Draft League 2019 Results and 2020 Draft! - Easy Update Ep. 200!
    Youtube Video

• Being able to drop games removes the consequences of selecting games that don't release. I think Bosman is trying to pick up a competitive advantage. What this does is basically makes their league 100% about their waiver pickups. An area that Bosman feels like he's stronger than the other players.

I think that if you're going to build your roster out of games that haven't even been announced yet - that should be risky.

• @tokyoslim In theory, the more games you have to waive - the less money you will be able to bid on each game as you fill out all your slots. It is a little weird, but if you have 100 dollars to gets 10 games you are in a better spot than someone who has to pickup 13 games with that same 100 dollars. I get where you're coming from but the bigger issue for me is picking games that haven't even been revealed yet. I don't think those should be eligible, but something that has been announced without a date should be. You want to risk Breath of the Wild 2 or Metroid Prime 4 - sure, but the annualized Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed - no, imo.

• "In theory" yes. But in practice, Bosman is a fantasy sports veteran going up against Ian and Don; One of whom didn't even fill his roster fully last year because he doesn't fully understand the mechanics of the game. By eliminating the penalties for drafting unannounced games, it places all the onus on the waiver attentiveness of the players. An area in which only one of these players has a distinct advantage.

Bosman drafted more games that didn't come out than either of his competitors, and one could say that this directly factored into him not winning last year. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that again, he drafted more games than his opponents that will not release this year, but instead of it costing him points - it's just costing him waiver dollars - which he already has shown significant leverage in.

• You like rewarding cowards.

• @iboshow I like punishing the foolish.

The reward for drafting Breath of the Wild 2 is... if it comes out, it's a 90+
    The penalty for drafting BOTW2 should be, that if it doesn't - you get NOTHING.