The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• Played and loved the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. It’s almost impossible to not like it, but I just enjoy the PS1 games more.

I do like the dynamic music system that 90% of games use nowadays, but I kinda also liked the infinite looping song from the original trilogy.

I LOVE the new character designs but the unity between levels in Spyro the Dragon kinda makes the new characters stand out more and get repetitive. It’s a weird complaint because I’m complimenting how good they look but I kinda wish it was less faithful and changed up the enemies more.

It’s weird. I love absolutely everything about it except a few voice changes. Spyro 2 is my favourite in the series but those intro and outro cutscenes have way less charm on PS4 when I still enjoy them in the PS1 version. It’s like, yes, it’s an amazing game, but for whatever reason, I prefer the PS1 classic versions. I think it’s a game series that wasn’t really dated so it didn’t need a remake but I hope it brings us more high quality Spyro instead of the dark age of Spyro we got from 2002 until now.

• To be honest I hesitated to put it on my list because the games are still pretty much the same. Besides the obvious graphical upgrade the the only improvements I can think of are that the controls are slightly better than the original, Spyro 3 has the completer soundtrack without any repeats (which we never got in Europe) and the cutscenes are much better. The only big downsides are the voice acting for the level specific NPCs in Spyro 2 and 3 and there are some strange glitches that I never encountered in the PS1 originals.

With that said, I had a lot more fun with Spyro: Reignited than with any other video game in 2018. Looking at how happy this game made me I had no other choice than to put it as my number 1.

I do really hope that after the CTR remake they will make some new Crash and Spyro games.

• @bard91 What? No, dude, I assure you it will make the list.

• I love Spyro, but as I'm more than happy with my originals, I skipped this trilogy. Usually I pick these remakes up to give them a try and to add to the collection, but it was a hard no for Spyro once we learned only the first game is on the disc.

• @sheria

Maybe not for your collection but the second you crave playing a platformer, pick it up. It brings you back and its so buttery smooth and beautiful.

• If it wasn't for the rule allowing this game to be eligible, then I wouldn't have enough games to warrant a submission. Last year had little that interested me.

But with that said, I can't gush enough about how much I absolutely adored these remasters. The faithful recreation and love put into the trilogy is apparent and I love all the little quality of life improvements (like giving Sparx the ability to find every gem in all three games from the start and how all the dragons in the first were unique).

My only real criticism (if you can call it that), is the games are a product of their time, meaning they're incredibly easy AND short. I platinumed all three and had a final cumulative percentage of 337% in four days from when I got the game. While I wish there could've been something new, I am adamant this package is THE way to experience the best of Spyro, full stop. Personally, the originals will always have a little spot in my heart, but after playing this, I'm never going back to those again.

As is my custom, I want to publicly shout out all who thought enough of a game I enjoy to warrant their list, regardless of where it places. So a high five to @Hazz3r, @El-Shmiablo, @Faaip, @Sentinel-Beach, @Lotias, @parasitepaladin, and @NeoCweeny!!

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

@sheria

Maybe not for your collection but the second you crave playing a platformer, pick it up. It brings you back and its so buttery smooth and beautiful.

I'll probably give it a try in a future PSN sale, though a part of me doesn't want to, simply out of principle.

If Crash is any indication though, there's nothing more here other than prettier graphics. Not a big sell when you already own all three.

• I'm calling it.
    My top 4 will be in the top 5 and my other HMs won't even make the list.
    @Axel blink once for yes and twice for no.

• Global Moderator

Glad to see that Spyro made the list! I was a little bit worried, despite all the good word about it, I was worried that other "bigger" games would take the list. Its a great remaster and I still find it funny how it looks as good as the original did in my head back as a kid! <3

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

I haven't played Octopath Traveler, only its first demo. Despite it having several big "no" for me (it looks old, it feels old, it's isometric RPG, it's on Switch), I was considering playing it for the story. But I've skipped its launch and after learning that its story isn't that great I've dismissed it entirely.

Yeah, if/when I get a switch I lost all interest when I heard how the story is and that the characters dont really interact and arent there for each persons story bits, i.e. oh brave of you to come alone, only to then be joined by all the other characters in battle....huge disconnect there

• I am loving the Spyro Trilogy. I just finished up 2 and am starting 3 this weekend. Its been awhile since I've had such an easy, cozy game to kick back with. The visuals are fantastic, the gameplay is tight and I love the groovy music. I only grew up with 3 and a couple gameboy versions, so I'm enjoying getting to experience the original trilogy in its entirety.

Not to mention.. three easy platinums :D

• Celeste

#13. Celeste - 18 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Kaminski)
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 1 (Nimbat1003)
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (Shoulderguy, Inustar, Axel, AbsoluteUppercut, SunPraiser, Alex840)

Information

Release date: January 25 [US/EU]
    Developer: Matt Makes Games
    Publisher: Matt Makes Games
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, macOS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• @acardattack said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

@ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

I haven't played Octopath Traveler, only its first demo. Despite it having several big "no" for me (it looks old, it feels old, it's isometric RPG, it's on Switch), I was considering playing it for the story. But I've skipped its launch and after learning that its story isn't that great I've dismissed it entirely.

Yeah, if/when I get a switch I lost all interest when I heard how the story is and that the characters dont really interact and arent there for each persons story bits, i.e. oh brave of you to come alone, only to then be joined by all the other characters in battle....huge disconnect there

I feel like this aspect has been way overblown, it's really not that bad in practice. All it means is that if you're playing an Ophilia chapter, she'll be the only one interacting with NPCs. Sure it would be awesome if other characters sometimes chipped in and added their own perspective, and hopefully that's something they can manage in a sequel. But it doesn't take away that much from the story.

They do have scenes where they interact with each other, share stories from their past, argue about silly stuff, etc. Those are triggered when you enter taverns, and there's a wide variety of them. They're not amazing but it's better than nothing.

As for the parts where a character is supposed to be alone but you still fight using your party, same deal. This happens only once or twice in the entire game and is not that jarring. Nothing a little suspension of disbelief and "It's only a videogame!" mentality can't solve!

• Celeste only 13th? That's a little surprising to me because it's the indie game I heard the most praise for in 2018. The barrier for this game for me is difficulty. While I wouldn't mind knowing what the story is, I don't want to force myself through it. I will say, of the little I've heard from the soundtrack, I think it's probably a top five, if not top three in terms of music.

• @brannox I'll expand on my thoughts about the game later, but I just wanna point out that you shouldn't let the difficulty scare you. Some sections are difficult indeed, but the game alleviates this greatly by offering very generous checkpoints and instant restart, which completely removes frustration.

Basically each screen of the game is its own challenge, and whenever you die you'll seamlessly respawn at the start of that screen. So you'll rarely lose more than 5 seconds of progress, and will never have to wait to get started again. Also, the difficulty mostly comes from the optional collectibles, whereas simply traversing the game is a lot more manageable.

It never becomes a drag and you'll feel yourself getting better at it throughout.

• @brannox
    As u can see it was my number 3 and at that time I was just mid game (still am haha) but yes the frustration means I only play it in minor chunks around an hour,
    but it is very much a each time you try you make it a little further type game so that's what's kept me in and the music and early story hints are very good as well. So even without finishing it yet it's a pretty easy 3rd for me since my first 2 are much higher up.

• @axel My hesitance isn't regarding in time lost, but in attempts at a challenge, or in this case on certain screens. At some point I heard it described (mechanically speaking only of course) as a slightly easier Super Meat Boy.

Basically, from what I've seen and heard about, I don't wanna keep trying over and over and over (more so towards the end of game) and not getting anywhere. That said, it IS encouraging to see you say the crit path isn't the most difficult portion of the game.

@Nimbat1003 Being able to play in small chunks is also a nice thing, but it's kind of dangerous (for me), because if I'm spending time on a single screen for a set period of time, try and try and try, finally get past it, then get with another screen where I'm sitting there for another lengthy amount of time, it scares me that kills the pace. Or to put it another way, the game's challenge getting in the way of itself to me.

• Celeste was free with Xbox Gold last month so I've played it... for 5 minutes. It's too hard and it's pixelated which I never enjoy.

• Ah Celeste

Perhaps the greatest game I've ever played. There is nothing this game doesn't do exceptionally well.

• Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

#12. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 18 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Danjin44)
    #2: 1 (Kaminski)
    #3: 1 (Hidz)
    #4: 1 (A7X458)
    HM: 4 (ACardAttack, Sheria, bam541, AbsoluteUppercut)

Information

Release date: September 4 [US/EU]
    Developer: Square Enix
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review