The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!

• @dipset said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

@sheria

Maybe not for your collection but the second you crave playing a platformer, pick it up. It brings you back and its so buttery smooth and beautiful.

I'll probably give it a try in a future PSN sale, though a part of me doesn't want to, simply out of principle.

If Crash is any indication though, there's nothing more here other than prettier graphics. Not a big sell when you already own all three.

• I'm calling it.
    My top 4 will be in the top 5 and my other HMs won't even make the list.
    @Axel blink once for yes and twice for no.

• Global Moderator

Glad to see that Spyro made the list! I was a little bit worried, despite all the good word about it, I was worried that other "bigger" games would take the list. Its a great remaster and I still find it funny how it looks as good as the original did in my head back as a kid! <3

• @ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

I haven't played Octopath Traveler, only its first demo. Despite it having several big "no" for me (it looks old, it feels old, it's isometric RPG, it's on Switch), I was considering playing it for the story. But I've skipped its launch and after learning that its story isn't that great I've dismissed it entirely.

Yeah, if/when I get a switch I lost all interest when I heard how the story is and that the characters dont really interact and arent there for each persons story bits, i.e. oh brave of you to come alone, only to then be joined by all the other characters in battle....huge disconnect there

• I am loving the Spyro Trilogy. I just finished up 2 and am starting 3 this weekend. Its been awhile since I've had such an easy, cozy game to kick back with. The visuals are fantastic, the gameplay is tight and I love the groovy music. I only grew up with 3 and a couple gameboy versions, so I'm enjoying getting to experience the original trilogy in its entirety.

Not to mention.. three easy platinums :D

• Celeste

#13. Celeste - 18 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Kaminski)
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 1 (Nimbat1003)
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (Shoulderguy, Inustar, Axel, AbsoluteUppercut, SunPraiser, Alex840)

Information

Release date: January 25 [US/EU]
    Developer: Matt Makes Games
    Publisher: Matt Makes Games
    Genre: Platform
    Platform(s): Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, macOS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• @acardattack said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

@ffff0 said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2018!:

I haven't played Octopath Traveler, only its first demo. Despite it having several big "no" for me (it looks old, it feels old, it's isometric RPG, it's on Switch), I was considering playing it for the story. But I've skipped its launch and after learning that its story isn't that great I've dismissed it entirely.

Yeah, if/when I get a switch I lost all interest when I heard how the story is and that the characters dont really interact and arent there for each persons story bits, i.e. oh brave of you to come alone, only to then be joined by all the other characters in battle....huge disconnect there

I feel like this aspect has been way overblown, it's really not that bad in practice. All it means is that if you're playing an Ophilia chapter, she'll be the only one interacting with NPCs. Sure it would be awesome if other characters sometimes chipped in and added their own perspective, and hopefully that's something they can manage in a sequel. But it doesn't take away that much from the story.

They do have scenes where they interact with each other, share stories from their past, argue about silly stuff, etc. Those are triggered when you enter taverns, and there's a wide variety of them. They're not amazing but it's better than nothing.

As for the parts where a character is supposed to be alone but you still fight using your party, same deal. This happens only once or twice in the entire game and is not that jarring. Nothing a little suspension of disbelief and "It's only a videogame!" mentality can't solve!

• Celeste only 13th? That's a little surprising to me because it's the indie game I heard the most praise for in 2018. The barrier for this game for me is difficulty. While I wouldn't mind knowing what the story is, I don't want to force myself through it. I will say, of the little I've heard from the soundtrack, I think it's probably a top five, if not top three in terms of music.

• @brannox I'll expand on my thoughts about the game later, but I just wanna point out that you shouldn't let the difficulty scare you. Some sections are difficult indeed, but the game alleviates this greatly by offering very generous checkpoints and instant restart, which completely removes frustration.

Basically each screen of the game is its own challenge, and whenever you die you'll seamlessly respawn at the start of that screen. So you'll rarely lose more than 5 seconds of progress, and will never have to wait to get started again. Also, the difficulty mostly comes from the optional collectibles, whereas simply traversing the game is a lot more manageable.

It never becomes a drag and you'll feel yourself getting better at it throughout.

• @brannox
    As u can see it was my number 3 and at that time I was just mid game (still am haha) but yes the frustration means I only play it in minor chunks around an hour,
    but it is very much a each time you try you make it a little further type game so that's what's kept me in and the music and early story hints are very good as well. So even without finishing it yet it's a pretty easy 3rd for me since my first 2 are much higher up.

• @axel My hesitance isn't regarding in time lost, but in attempts at a challenge, or in this case on certain screens. At some point I heard it described (mechanically speaking only of course) as a slightly easier Super Meat Boy.

Basically, from what I've seen and heard about, I don't wanna keep trying over and over and over (more so towards the end of game) and not getting anywhere. That said, it IS encouraging to see you say the crit path isn't the most difficult portion of the game.

@Nimbat1003 Being able to play in small chunks is also a nice thing, but it's kind of dangerous (for me), because if I'm spending time on a single screen for a set period of time, try and try and try, finally get past it, then get with another screen where I'm sitting there for another lengthy amount of time, it scares me that kills the pace. Or to put it another way, the game's challenge getting in the way of itself to me.

• Celeste was free with Xbox Gold last month so I've played it... for 5 minutes. It's too hard and it's pixelated which I never enjoy.

• Ah Celeste

Perhaps the greatest game I've ever played. There is nothing this game doesn't do exceptionally well.

• Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

#12. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 18 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Danjin44)
    #2: 1 (Kaminski)
    #3: 1 (Hidz)
    #4: 1 (A7X458)
    HM: 4 (ACardAttack, Sheria, bam541, AbsoluteUppercut)

Information

Release date: September 4 [US/EU]
    Developer: Square Enix
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    EZA Review

• I'm currently playing Dragon Quest XI. While I'm enjoying it, I'm not sure I would change my list around for it - maybe an honorable mention spot. Sylvando is pretty rad so far though.

• Unpopular opinion I know, but after 20 hours I can only say that DQ11 was incredibly uninteresting to the point where I just decided it was not worth putting any more time to it.

• Not only have I not played it, I haven't even seen screenshots!

• Easy game to write off with the dumb MIDI controversy and choice to stick to its fantasy roots instead of chasing new themes and settings solely for a selling point. Also remember hearing Japan didn't receive it as well as they usually received Dragon Quest games when it launched over there. Also, I'll forever be salty the really cool 3DS version was canceled for the west. But all that said, just from what I've seen of Huber and Damiani play it, I'm sure I would've voted on this if I had played it personally. I didn't get around to it though so thanks to those who did for recognizing excellence in quality.

Might not be as flashy or fresh as some recent RPGs that have made waves, but by sticking to one thing consistently the devs have gotten very good at what they do. Everything is tight and balanced with options for different play styles and difficulty levels. World is well fleshed out and feels lived in and real. Main cast is interesting and has good chemistry together. Lots of smaller stories to work through as you become stronger and gear up for the main quest. Remains as classic as they come, but still manages to build on what the franchise was before and find ways to make it even better while retaining the same classic feel. I can't think of an overall better RPG that came out in 2018, and sounds like they adding even more for the Switch version, so maybe I'll pick that up when it comes out.

• I love the vibes of this game. The environments, character designs, even the MIDI soundtrack, it makes me smile like no other RPG, it's like watching the cartoon show like i used to do, it fills my heart with a desire to explore. That's a great thing because exploring the worlds here is a blast! There's always something cool to find, whether it's an actual reward of items, a neat piece of dialog from a character, or just a beautiful sight. Not to mention that the combat is pretty neat and engaging. I'm playing on Normal and it's very enjoyable, it's quite easy and it hits my preferred turn-based combat difficulty level.

As someone who's not too familiar with JRPGs (only played Persona 3-5, and some random games here and there), i'm glad that i believed in this game because now I'm excited to delve deeper into the genre. I haven't finished it yet so only a honorable mention from me.

• The DQ series has been around for me as long as FF and I love it almost as much, and in a very different way. Erdrick will never fade from my mind.